MK1: Step-By-Step Unlocking / Install guide (with pictures)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the GUI is not working for you, you could also manage it with your favorite Telnet client and a TFTP programm:

what you need:

-openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.squashfs

-openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.lzma

-a telnet client

-a tftp server ( on windows i use tftp32, for mac search on google for "TftpServer" )

!!!Do Step 1 to 10 like in Darren´s TuT!!!

!!!you do it on your own risk, i´m not responsible if you brick your fonera!!!

1. you have to set static ip adresses:

ipsettingspf8.jpg

2. open your telnet client and type in the ip adress 192.168.1.254 with port 9000 but do not hit enter.

puttytelnetuv4.jpg

3. power on LaFonera and after 2 to 4 secs start the Telnet connection.

(on OS X and Linux you have to set Telnet to line mode, just create a file ".telnetrc" in home dir with the following lines:

mode line

)

4. Telnet comes up with the RedBoot Promt

5. now open your tftp server and make shure it is set to the right folder and the right ip adress.

tftp32settingsfo9.jpg

6. type in the following commands in the telnet client one by one... some of them need realy long to be executed, just wait for the "RedBoot>" after each command

(when you type in the "fis init" command you also need to press "y" to execute the command)

ip_address -l 192.168.1.254/24 -h 192.168.1.166

fis init

load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.lzma

fis create -e 0x80041000 -r 0x80041000 vmlinux.bin.l7

load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.squashfs

fis create -l 0x6F0000 rootfs

fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7

exec

after the fonera is rebooted you can go on with step 12 in Darren´s tut

@Darren>: jasager <-- for you to practice the pronunciation for the next episode :P

PS: SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!

For anyone wanting to try this from linux there is a script called redboot.pl that you start before powering on the Fon and it repeatedly tries telnet connections till it gets one. With the approach above you may need a few attempts to hit it right, if it fails the first time keep trying, you will hopefully get it at some point.

I ran into a little problem.

I got through step 7 (renaming dropbear) with no trouble, but I can't get any farther. For some reason when I try to ssh or scp into it I get an access denied error. I can still access the fon from the config page with no trouble.

Any suggestions?

Got my fon yesterday and all is working after this hack, but just FYI for others, a couple things I noticed..

Step 9: Patch the kernel, reboot, Step 10: Reconnect to MyPlace.. after the reboot in step 9 i had to redo step 8 because the reboot deleted the new files in the tmp directory

during Step 14: Install webif (make sure you're in the tmp directory)

the webif install tried to do a get out to the net, since it wasn't actually connected to the web, these wgets didn't work, but webif was still installed correctly (like I said all seems to be working correctly)

After Step 18: Install Jasager and reboot, For some reason I couldn't telnet to 192.168.1.1 but noticed in the screen prints Darren was using putty again, so I tried to SSH and was able to ssh in.

I've gone ahead and moved the guide to the wiki. Please feel free to add your installation comments and edits there. The Jasager wiki page is a great place for future guides as well.

http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Fon_Jasager_Install <---Unlocking the Fon 2100 and Installing Jasager Guide

http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Jasager <--- Place for further Jasager tutorials, payloads, etc

After Step 18: Install Jasager and reboot, For some reason I couldn't telnet to 192.168.1.1 but noticed in the screen prints Darren was using putty again, so I tried to SSH and was able to ssh in.

telnet is a one off, once you've setup a password for root it shuts itself down for security reasons

Hey all,

First I would like to say Nice article, and secondly after a few road blocks I just finish my setup now I have a few questions:

1. Since we renamed index.hml to webif.html how do I figure out what my Fon IP is when I plug it into my LAN (I tried doing an IP scan but I get nothing)

2. Should the main page http://192.168.1.1 be password protected I have my Fon connected to my PC via cross over calbe and when I go to that page it see the Jasager main screen

Lastly how do I go back in and chage my SSID and security from the current setup (OPenwrt and no security)

Thanks in advance

Hey all,

First I would like to say Nice article, and secondly after a few road blocks I just finish my setup now I have a few questions:

1. Since we renamed index.hml to webif.html how do I figure out what my Fon IP is when I plug it into my LAN (I tried doing an IP scan but I get nothing)

2. Should the main page http://192.168.1.1 be password protected I have my Fon connected to my PC via cross over calbe and when I go to that page it see the Jasager main screen

Lastly how do I go back in and chage my SSID and security from the current setup (OPenwrt and no security)

Thanks in advance

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...st&p=105003

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...st&p=104529

I'm having trouble.

root@OpenWrt:~# mtd -e "RedBoot config" write out.hex "RedBoot config"
Couldn't open image file: out.hex!
Could not open mtd device: RedBoot config
Can't open device for writing!

I added the out.hex file after I did the first reboot, (not sure if that worked either). Can anyone help?

I'm having trouble.

Couldn't open image file: out.hex!
Could not open mtd device: RedBoot config
Can't open device for writing!

I added the out.hex file after I did the first reboot, (not sure if that worked either). Can anyone help?

are you in the tmp directory? whe I would ssh in I'd be in the right dir but telnet took me one directory up

worked for me too when I was in my tmp dir, I have one other question that others might run into when the are finish with there setup. I saw a few probes trying to associate but kept getting rejected and the message said something like not being in the whitelist, however I changed my mode to whitelist and tried adding them manual but still no luck.

Okay I redid 9 and 10 and they worked now I get a "The procedure entry point PacketGetReadEvent could not be located in the dynamic link library packet.dll." when I try to start up Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash.

I don't know what to do, google didn't come up with much.

Grrr I was hoping this would be easy.

Okay I redid 9 and 10 and they worked now I get a "The procedure entry point PacketGetReadEvent could not be located in the dynamic link library packet.dll." when I try to start up Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash.

I don't know what to do, google didn't come up with much.

Grrr I was hoping this would be easy.

I was getting the same issue you need to install winpcap on your host machine and you should be ok. Or just install wireshark and it comes with the package cause chances are you will need wireshark later anyhow.

I was getting the same issue you need to install winpcap on your host machine and you should be ok. Or just install wireshark and it comes with the package cause chances are you will need wireshark later anyhow.

Okay did that now the program works. But I can't find the My Place connection anymore. So I connected the Fon to my computer and did step 11 but it has said no packet for the last 20 min. Did I do something wrong?

Okay did that now the program works. But I can't find the My Place connection anymore. So I connected the Fon to my computer and did step 11 but it has said no packet for the last 20 min. Did I do something wrong?

Try connecting through the wired network instead. I did all my flashing through that.

digininja

have you seen this before?

worked for me too when I was in my tmp dir, I have one other question that others might run into when the are finish with there setup. I saw a few probes trying to associate but kept getting rejected and the message said something like not being in the whitelist, however I changed my mode to whitelist and tried adding them manual but still no luck.

Whey! this took me most of the day, since my la fonera was on the latest firmware, and i couldnt change my defauly routers DNS (dam sky) so i had to flash an old Fon WRT54GL that i had never used first lol!

Anywho after hours and hours, i managed to get everything on teh la fonera, it was a bitch seeing that i dont tend to use the wifi

now, i have my Jasager/wrt fon router plugged into my main sky router (that assigns ips 192.168.0.1 my comp is 192.168.0.4 and the fon router is 192.168.0.7) although i cant get to either web interface via 192.168.0.7

im connected via lan..

And when i connect via wifi to the fon router, its like im connected to my sky router, connecting to 192.168.0.1

please help! lol

• 1 month later...

I want to start off by saying that its a great guide, but I'm having issues. I'm having issues specifically with step 11, flashing the Fon with OpenWRT firmware. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid and also have a virtual machine of Windows XP running using VirtualBox. In the VM of XP, I installed WireShark as it came with all the proper packages, and I can run the Freifunk AP51 EasyFlash utility without a hitch. But I cannot flash the FON.

My laptop is connected to a powered switch and the FON is connected to the same powered switch. I turn off my wifi to make sure the computer only uses the wired connection provided. I turn on the VM of XP and start up both WireShark and Freifunk. I follow Darren's instructions for setting up Freifunk with the files and such. I power on the Fon and immediately hit go on Freifunk. It occasionally gets

Non arp received. Make sure, the device is connected directly!

I've tried many combinations of power cycling and hitting go, but no good. I've also tried setting my ip address in both Linux and XP to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.166 as instructed by vyruz. I'm running out of ideas and I would really like to get OpenWRT working on this FON router.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Try getting rid of the switch and connecting directly to the fon. Also, start Freifunk beofre powering on the fon, you've only got a couple of seconds on a Fon and so you may be missing that window.

If you are running a linux box, why not use the redboot method or installing openwrt? Have a look on the openwrt wiki for instructions.

Well I was following Darren's instructions and basically stopped after the whole Redboot step, I believe step 9. Digininja are you just suggesting that I just forget this method and just try to get openwrt working for FON from some other wiki? Last time I installed a custom firmware, it was DD-WRT on a WRT54G and I used it for a little bit as a wifi link but then something went to hell and I could never debrick the system even after building a unbuffered JTAG cable and using different utilities to try and recover it.

Either way, does openwrt offer an option to turn the router into a wifi link, so it basically acts as a wifi card for a Desktop or a Xbox?

Regarding the OpenWRT and FON, I found this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Fon/Fonera. Do you have any other recommendations of other wikis or forums? Thanks in advance for the help. I truly appreciate it.

First, if you want to use the fon as an AP, don't bother with Jasager, just put openwrt on and stick with it, it will be easier to manage and will do the job you want.

If you want Jasager and you are having problems with the windows app then yes, I'm suggesting drop it and try redboot.pl. The link you gave is the one I used first time. Once you've flashed the Fon and rebooted you can go back to these instructions.