MK1: Step-By-Step Unlocking / Install guide (with pictures)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try out what you suggested James and let you know what happens. The port on the FON must be autosensing if you dont require a crossover (why the hell did they suggest this in the readme??).

Anyway I cant wait to play with this.....

The readme you read dictated a slightly different procedure (if it was the same one I saw). Darren's instructions include switching the FON port from WAN to LAN, removing the need to "trick" it with a cross over cable. Feel free to hit me with an email if you are still having trouble, I'll try to walk you through it.

Even if you get bored with Jasager, the FON makes a nice little travel router. It is worth the time to unlock it properly.

Cheers,

James

For those who are getting this error:

root@OpenWrt:~# ipkg install jasager-madwifi_1.ipk

Installing kmod-madwifi (2.6.21.5+r2568-20070710-atheros-2) to root...

Nothing to be done

Done.

Collected errors:

Package kmod-madwifi md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

The reason why is because you've executed the "ipkg update" command before installing the jasager-madwifi_1.ipk. To fix this problem, just edit the /etc/ipkg.conf and comment out the first 2 lines which relates to downloads.openwrt.org.

Cheers,

Right I am still getting "unable to connect" even though im sure the flashing process has completed.

After I do the flash and its succesful should Freifunk come back with done or finished or something? I've waited a few hours for flashing to complete. When I power cycle (to re-attempt connection) the WLAN is not coming up.

Ive tried virtually every timeing variation I can think of. What is the exact window for telnet access?

Quick Tip:

I noticed the Jasager does not like IE7, it will display the admin page, but does not operate correctly. If anyone is having some frustration, using Firefox should clear it up.

Another example of why you should avoid IE, I guess...

what problems are you having and on what page (give url). I'll have a look at it.

Great write-up, Darren.

I'm posting a few edits you may want to consider adding, to make it even more noob friendly. I just conducted a usability test, and I had my very non-tech GF update my 2nd router. She DID (eventually) get it working, but I did have to help several times. I've made notes below for the steps where my test subject became confused, ran into problems, or did the wrong thing.

Also, since some folks haven't done this type of stuff before, they may not have the utils installed (or may not even know what the are!), so it may be beneficial to list them at the beginning of the guide.

Perhaps you can include a "before you begin" section with these things:

Here are some suggested additions (very targeted at novices):

• Step 5 - rewording - "Use Putty (or other SSH utility) to connect to the Router via SSH, its IP address is currently 192.168.10.1"
  • Step 8 - rewording - "Use WinSCP (or another transport utility/method of choice) to copy these files to the Router. (it's still at 192.168.10.1)"
  • Step 9 - add warning - "NOTE: after each reboot in this step (and future reboots), it will take a minute or so for the Router to reboot and all of the processes to start. If you attempt to re-connect too quickly after a reboot, your OS may not be able to obtain an IP address (since the DHCP process isn't yet running on the Router), and instead use an "autoconfigure" IP address. An autoconfigure IP address will not allow you to connect to the Router. If this does happen, you can simply disconnect & reconnect to the "MyPlace" AP, which will get you a proper IP address (since the Router DHCP process is now running)."
  • Step 11: rewording - "note that upon a successful flash of the firmware, the EasyFlash App just disappears. There is no "complete", or "success" dialogs. If you saw the flash occurring properly (in the info dialog at the bottom), and the EasyFlash UI is gone, its safe to assume the flash worked correctly. After waiting a moment or so for the Router to reboot, you can proceed to step 12."
  • Step 12: add note of interest - "Note the firmware flash has now reconfigured the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.1"
  • Step 13.5: rewording - "Once again Use WinSCP (or your other transport method) to copy all .IPK files to the Router (into the /tmp/ directory). Note, the IP address is now 192.168.1.1 (so you cannot use the same settings from the last time you used WinSCP)"
  • Step 14: add info - "when installing 'webif_0.3-10_mips.ipk' ignore any errors related to downloading additional components from the internet (as the router most likely doesn't have internet connectivity yet)."
I thought your walkthrough was great, but hopefully you find these recommendations valuable to the noob community.

Cheers,

33\/\/

My pc has these settings:

IP: 192.168.0.252

MASK: 255.255.255.0

The fon when it comes out the box uses dhcp so im not sure if flashing openWRT assigns the FON nic a static 192.168.1.1 (the address im trying to telnet to).

So two questions:

What the hell have I done wrong here and why? (ANY help would be very appreciated)

Is my FON now useless and beyond repair?

I've found that the computer and the fon have to be in the same ip range.

the fon ip will be 192.168.1.1 so your computer needs to be 192.168.1.252 for it to work.

what problems are you having and on what page (give url). I'll have a look at it.

The buttons do not behave properly. For example, the button to turn Karma on and off, as well as the status messages. No matter how many times you click, the page will not indicate that Karma is off. In addition, the Jasager admin page seems to time out and run sluggishly in IE, likely due to the usage of Javascript (which IE is not the fastest with).

Overall it is a nice front end. I appreciate the effort you went through. It makes running Karma, something I have been doing lately anyway, a bit easier.

Thanks,

James

Right I am still getting "unable to connect" even though im sure the flashing process has completed.

After I do the flash and its succesful should Freifunk come back with done or finished or something? I've waited a few hours for flashing to complete. When I power cycle (to re-attempt connection) the WLAN is not coming up.

Ive tried virtually every timeing variation I can think of. What is the exact window for telnet access?

You will not get a message that the flash is complete. After about 20 minutes it is, however. It sounds like you are at that point.

Now connect the FON to the laptop using the Ethernet cable (NOT wifi). Unplug and re-plug the FON. Quickly initiate the Telnet session from your laptop. If it does not connect try again immediately, the router just might not have been done booting. Now change the password over Telnet (this will re-enable SSH).

As I said in an earlier post, the FON will not appear to be booting normally anymore, it is fine though.

Good Luck

James

@33W@rl0r),

Thanks I'll merge these into the original post

Darren you might also want to put in that some integrated NIC drivers are not compatible with EasyFlash and it would be better to use a PCI version - found out what was wrong today and now my Jasager is up and working.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I have also noticed the error when installing Jasager from package that Darren had in his guide. Im showing OpenWrt as an access point but even though its enabled (jasager on) its not autoconnecting clients. Did everyone install it from the tar?

Was on step 9, happily patching the kernel, when my house had one of those split second power outages that normally does nowt worse than turning the telly off and making you need to reset the time on the microwave.

A Fon router with a borked kernel is not a happy puppy.

I am getting a cannot write out.hex error when trying to patch redboot, what causes this? After the first reboot I ran ls and got this:

login as: root
root@192.168.10.1's password:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (2006.11.21-19:49+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______  _______  _______
|   ____||       ||   _   |
|   ____||   -   ||  | |  |
|   |    |_______||__| |__|
|___|

Fonera Firmware (Version 0.7.1 rev 1) -------------
  * Based on OpenWrt - http://openwrt.org