$2 - $12 Fon Battery Pack

I seriously just bought the parts a few minutes ago, wired it up and verified that it works. Looking back I could have gotten away with just the battery pack. Later on I'll open up the fon and wire it up directly.

88919511.jpg

Parts:

RS Part 270-409 "AA" Battery Holder with On/Off switch = $2

RS Part 273-1717 "N" Adaptaplug $6.59 (optional)

RS Part 273-1743 Adaptaplug Socket $3.69 (optional)

Building: Plug the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative. Duh.

I just hope the TSA doesn't think it's a bomb or something.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Fon bridge itseld with other access points automatically so you can use their wireless? I mean, they were inteded to be used to share wifi, but can it be made to automatically use/associate with another (open) wifi host spot so you can get on through your Fon as the AP, preferably with some tunnelling or encryption loaded onto the Fon for safer surfing.

Does the Fon bridge itseld with other access points automatically so you can use their wireless? I mean, they were inteded to be used to share wifi, but can it be made to automatically use/associate with another (open) wifi host spot so you can get on through your Fon as the AP, preferably with some tunnelling or encryption loaded onto the Fon for safer surfing.

I think you may have replied to the wrong thread. Per your question, I don't quite follow.

I've attached my personal battery pack build. I've unsolder the stock red/black wires and directly soldered the adapter plug wires which I've found from a old cellphone charger. After I used heat shrink tubing for the wires to make everything nice and tidy. Yes, the tie wrap is kind of ghetto but it's secure and cheap. I don't like how velco leaves a residue after you try and remove it.

I'm thinking of using a directional antenna I had kicking around and strap that together as well. It's going to look like a strapped beast :)

My next mod will be to break the Fonera open and add an extra antenna for diversity and performance. I'll keep you guys updated as I get the part in the next few days.

post-10781-1222185578_thumb.jpg

post-10781-1222185584_thumb.jpg

I've attached my personal battery pack build. I've unsolder the stock red/black wires and directly soldered the adapter plug wires which I've found from a old cellphone charger. After I used heat shrink tubing for the wires to make everything nice and tidy. Yes, the tie wrap is kind of ghetto but it's secure and cheap. I don't like how velco leaves a residue after you try and remove it.

I'm thinking of using a directional antenna I had kicking around and strap that together as well. It's going to look like a strapped beast :)

My next mod will be to break the Fonera open and add an extra antenna for diversity and performance. I'll keep you guys updated as I get the part in the next few days.

Where did you get these parts from?

Any guides on creating this power pack?

It looks really good.

Very nice! And if you open it up you can find a way to run the power directly in so remove the need for external wires.

I linked the part numbers to the appropriate pages at radioshack.com

They're not the cheapest game in town but if you're in the US they're probably local. If you're going to order online there are a ton of cheaper alternatives for basically the same parts. All you really need is a 4 cell AA battery holder.

I'll bring it no problem. It kinda looks like a bomb but I've got ways of getting it past security.

If your going to put this where I think your going to put this..........DONT xD

Ill be posting a uk version of this guide sourced from maplin not radioshack as ive checked and they dont export.

Something we learnt at Toorcon, just because the LEDs come on on the device, it doesn't necessarily mean the device is fully powered up.

We think we had a situation where the batteries were drained to a point where they could power the LEDs but didn't have enough power to run the rest of the device.

Something we learnt at Toorcon, just because the LEDs come on on the device, it doesn't necessarily mean the device is fully powered up.

We think we had a situation where the batteries were drained to a point where they could power the LEDs but didn't have enough power to run the rest of the device.

Seems like you need to have a power regulator that kills all power after the voltage hit 4.8V or so.

It would be sweet if there was a way to have it still allow battery power but also have it run from external power and change the battery when running from the wall-wart.

i think you should check what the voltage requirements for the regulator, most need about 2v extra.

Yes, this is definitely something that needs to be kept in mind - the stock voltage regulator in the 2100 (UTC 1117AL 33A) requires a minimum input of 4.7V to correctly output the 3.3V that the circuit needs. If you input 3.3V into a stock 2100, the VReg outputs ~ 2.2V, which is enough to light the LED, but little else.

This is not ideal for those of us who want to run the 2100 from batteries, as it means we need to supply ~5V to the FON, when it really only needs 3.3V.

----------- ETA

I've just found some new components that might really help those of us who are trying to run our FONs from battery power. They are on order, I should have them by mid-week and hope to install & test by next weekend.

Stay tuned.........

Cheers,

33\/\/