$2 - $12 Fon Battery Pack

Hey darren,

Where did you get the awesome plastic pineapple?

I found a few pineapples but they were either in a kids pack of plastic fruit or wax models for shops.

I was thinking of doing something like gobby collaboration (segment idea) with this when I'm walking along or in a car.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey darren,

Where did you get the awesome plastic pineapple?

I found a few pineapples but they were either in a kids pack of plastic fruit or wax models for shops.

I was thinking of doing something like gobby collaboration (segment idea) with this when I'm walking along or in a car.

I found two sources of the pineapples, at least it looks like them. I'll know for sure friday, but I'm pretty damn sure its them.

http://www.centurynovelty.com/detail_429_146-086.html

Century Novelty sells them for $1.98 plus $5.85 shipping

Or the following link on Amazon has them for $19.99 plus shipping for 12 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z5HJEA?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

I took a plunge and bought a set of 12 from Amazon, I only need one (or so). In any case I would be willing to send some out to people who want one. I need to find out what shipping would cost, but assume I could make the rest available for a few bucks cheaper than buying one from Century. PM me if you want, after they arrive (friday) I may start a thread then if there is any interest in the other 11.

I took a plunge and bought a set of 12 from Amazon, I only need one (or so). In any case I would be willing to send some out to people who want one. I need to find out what shipping would cost, but assume I could make the rest available for a few bucks cheaper than buying one from Century. PM me if you want, after they arrive (friday) I may start a thread then if there is any interest in the other 11.

Can you send me one? I can't seem to find any source of these that will ship to the UK.

I purchased mine from Century Novelty. They've got pretty good rates if you buy in bulk. You can get 'em for as low as $1.20 each if you buy 144 or more of 'em.

It would be pretty cheap to ship too, at least domestically in the united states. They come sealed in plastic wrap and weigh approximately 2.3 ounces (65 grams) so postage would be the standard $0.42 + $0.17 since its an odd shape. You wouldn't need a box or anything, just slap postage and a shipping label on the plastic wrap they come in. Trust me, the US post office will ship a bar of soap if its got postage and an address. Hell I've even heard of getting away without paying postage as long as you write FRANK on it, but that's another story. I digress.

2925867320_0187f90683.jpg

I've got a spare pineapple if anyone (in the United States) wants it. Just PM me an address, I'll eat the $0.59 ;)

Oh yeah, and while we're on the topic, if there is interested I'm sure we could do Hak5 branded pineapples like mine. Check out some of these pics.

2925867902_752228aa1e.jpg

Jasager inside a plastic pineapple. The straw hole fits the antenna perfectly.

2925868514_32121715a8.jpg

Fon board fits snugly inside

2925015091_9db1c15172.jpg

Battery pack soldered for mobility. You can still use the AC power adapter as well, just turn off the battery pack. I normally use rechargables but they died at the airport so I had to settle for these alkalines.

I would love to open a Hak5 Store and stock pre-built Jasager pineapples, Hak5 branded USB switchblades and other goodies but I'm not sure how much interest there would be even if the margins on an already expensive modified router would be worth it. Maybe if I could get wholesale Atheros based System on Chips cheap.

Time to get back to recording "THE F.L.A.I.M" then...

(This episode (8) will be about the U.S retailers not shipping to the UK and the exorbitant price people pay to get computer components in the UK)

Can you send me one? I can't seem to find any source of these that will ship to the UK.

Yeah, sure, I'll post when they come in. I hate customs forms, or forms in general, but I guess I can drop one in the mail for you. Let me get to the post office and see how much they are going to charge for UK postage (Darren?). I'll start a new thread tomorrow night after they arrive.

I think you may have replied to the wrong thread. Per your question, I don't quite follow.

freewlan has the QRM method to "repeat" open/closed accesspoints

Francofon uses the ponte2 system ... http://www.blogin.it

DD-Wrt also took over the ponte2 system...

the benefit of this it's universal...

WDS is very "chipset" specific...eg WDS only work if you're only using atheros or only using broadcom

but what chipset does the all-in-one wifimodem use of your ISP?

Yeah, sure, I'll post when they come in. I hate customs forms, or forms in general, but I guess I can drop one in the mail for you. Let me get to the post office and see how much they are going to charge for UK postage (Darren?). I'll start a new thread tomorrow night after they arrive.

First-Class mail from the US to the UK for a package that weighs 2.4 oz (68 grams) is $3.00. Anything other than letters require those little green custom forms to be filled out. Declare the value as $0.25 ;)

Also I'm not sure how the plastic pineapple alone in its included plastic wrap is going to handle international shipping. You might want to wrap it up in a tight little ball using shipping tape, or alternatively use a box. Limitations on first-class shipping boxes is 24"x36" -- no issue there.

Just so I don't get any more PMs, I'm sending the pineapple to the first person to message me: Bitstream.

So just as a fun experiment Bitstream, when you get the pineapple wanna take a picture and we'll compare before and after shipping?

2927233422_fca5f1062c.jpg

Pineapple arrived today...notice in the first pic that the stamps didn't get cancelled. The pineapple did suffer some damage as shown in the second pic.

post-11079-1224033546_thumb.jpg

post-11079-1224033561_thumb.jpg

I'd like to put my F*n into and old gameboy, and then have the screen actually show a list of who is connected ;)

Gameboy.jpg

That would be very impressive! I've been wondering what to do with mine!

Tie the buttons to enabling black and white lists, kicking people etc. There would be a legit use of the power connector. If someone gets a cf mod going you could use the card slot at the top.

I like it, I just wish I knew enough hardware mods to be able to do it.

After a lot of thought, I'm going to have a go at modding mine with a 6V rechargeable battery pack into the casing of one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370096440265

I'll mod the RJ45 to the cable socket and the power/charger jack and power switch to the bottom, which I'll fill the original holes and respray silver.

My intial plans was to use one of those secret stash cans, but I don't think there is any to get everything to fit due to the way the lid fits. I have one on order and will check though.

• 2 weeks later...
I found two sources of the pineapples, at least it looks like them. I'll know for sure friday, but I'm pretty damn sure its them.

http://www.centurynovelty.com/detail_429_146-086.html

Century Novelty sells them for $1.98 plus $5.85 shipping

Or the following link on Amazon has them for $19.99 plus shipping for 12 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z5HJEA?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

It looks like the price at Amazon on the dozen pineapples has been dropped to $15.99

for those of you running the fon next to our near your laptop you might wanna consider making one of the USB power adapters....took me 10-20 minutes to do and is very simple and cheap.

And here is a nice guide on how to make one.

http://fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials.../USB-Power.html

Any idea why this site is down? I am not sure the link above will even work, but I can't even get to the root of the site...

Something we learnt at Toorcon, just because the LEDs come on on the device, it doesn't necessarily mean the device is fully powered up.

We think we had a situation where the batteries were drained to a point where they could power the LEDs but didn't have enough power to run the rest of the device.

Ive just built a battery pack with 1000mah rechargeable batteries and it puts out approx the same power until their completly drained.

iyeman, you beat me to it!

I was looking at the power supply and noticed it ran off 5v, and what does usb run off? you guessed it, 5v =P

I havent don eit yet as i dont have any more wal jack's available as the one the fonera takes is pretty rare (at least in my house =P)

• 3 weeks later...