$2 - $12 Fon Battery Pack

I am not sure how much longer they will be in stock but you can buy the 6v battery packs from KB toys for $1.00 and no shipping

http://www.kbtoys.com/6V-Rechargeable-Batt...17/INstock/Y/D/

Don't forget the 2-pack! This one doesn't come with a charger, but you get 2 rechargeable batteries that work with the one that does. I wish I knew they had this when I ordered 2

http://www.kbtoys.com/6VNICD-Rechargeable-...17/INstock/Y/D/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered mine =D. Anyone know how many mAh it is?

I'm not sure, but I'll let you know when mine gets in. I'm currently using a battery from a Creative Zen Vision and bypassing the voltage regulator, and I don't know if i'm charging it correctly, so hopefully this will be an excellent replacement. If you do find out how much mAh it has, please let us know.

I also found this pretty good link that explains what mAh is, for those that don't know: http://ezinearticles.com/?Amps,-Volts,-and-MAh&id=91095

Recieved my fon last week, it came with the 2 pin plug so no good for me here in the UK.

Made myself a USB power lead, this works fine and all interfaces work great.

I do however get the odd drop out of dhcp assignment and ics sharing to marks machine.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix.

Right well it seems to me that lack of power through usb is the issue.

Im going to make up another usb cable with 2 male connectors.

Results up whe i'm done 2morrow.

peace

ok all tested, 1 usb lead powers it ok but does not feed 2 wifi connections.

ie. 1x ICS and 1x Mark

Adding 2nd male usb to the power cable seems to have increased strength of radio and stability of the device.

ok, so i got my batter pack from kb toys in the other day, and it works. it's a 6 volt battery, but the voltage regulator can take it fine. I'm not sure how long it will run for, but once i find out I'll post the info.

ok, so i got my batter pack from kb toys in the other day, and it works. it's a 6 volt battery, but the voltage regulator can take it fine. I'm not sure how long it will run for, but once i find out I'll post the info.

How are you connecting it to the fon? Did you solder a cable onto it terminals cause if so I am wondering how you then can get it to fit into the charger as it is already a tight fit.

How are you connecting it to the fon? Did you solder a cable onto it terminals cause if so I am wondering how you then can get it to fit into the charger as it is already a tight fit.

I actually taped the wires onto the side using electrical tape until I find another solution. i might just end up taking apart the charger and putting a connector on it. I'll let you know how that works out as well.

Currently I am doing the same as ADM1NX. Wires taped on for now. I also plan on taking apart the charger so I can craft a more permanent solution. I put my multimeter on the battery today though and it read out around 6.7 Volts.... I was wondering if anyone else had thrown a Volt-meter on the battery just to check it. Maybe it's just my battery or even more likely my multimeter. No mAh printed on the battery. I plan on doing some testing this weekend. Either way it was cheaper then AA's all the time =D Kudos to peerlesscahos for the original link and a great find!!!

Has anybody had any success with making a battery pack for the Fonera+? I built a battery pack like the one described in this thread and connected it to my Fonera+ but it doesn't seem to give it enough juice to operate fully.

It might be that the batteries aren't completely fresh but I have no way to check since these are the only for AA-batteries I have at home at the moment.

When I turn on the battery pack the power LED lights up, then it flickers a bit then comes back on glowing steady, then the other LEDs flicker a bit and go out after a second or so. All in all it seems like the Fonera+ is rebooting over and over again, and the wifi never comes on for long enough for the access point to be spotted and connected to.

I just threw a meter on mine and it was 6.96 volts on a full charge.

I've been using it without problems just seemed as if 6.7 volts was a bit too much. I guess it obviously isn't considering it's been working. It's listed as a 6V battery so I wondered if the extra voltage was anything to worry about. Thanks for help. =D

Keep in mind that testing a battery with a standard multi meter isn't going to give you an accurate reading. Batteries are best tested under a load. So a battery showing higher than it's rated power level is totally expected. After the load (in this case the Fon) is applied the delivered power is lower.

You know what I was looking at the PCB for the fon and if I go get the AA battery holder I could quite conceivably attach some standoffs. If I cut off the threads and then find some suitable adhesive the Fon could sit comfortably on the battery pack.

Damn it it all. the batteries in my Sony DSC-H1 died. I'll have to wait for them to recharge. I'll post pictures later.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

Keep in mind that testing a battery with a standard multi meter isn't going to give you an accurate reading. Batteries are best tested under a load. So a battery showing higher than it's rated power level is totally expected. After the load (in this case the Fon) is applied the delivered power is lower.

Yup...

Hey guys, I have a battery holder that holds 4 AAA's. Will this work to? I can imagine that the battery life will be reduced, but it takes up less space in the pineapple.

Yeah. If you look on the side, it'll read 1.5 Volts. Same with C batteries and D batteries.

Button Cells run 3 volts, maybe one of you could pick up a cheep set of button cell batteries (hah!) and throw them in a holder. I wonder if those would fit in the case. Its only 5.4 mm thick. Plan

Disable the LEDs, wow. It would look like it was just sitting there, but its not :D It be excellent camoflague.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I just bout the 4 aa batery rack and one of the ones like daren had in the show the plug in ones. the plug in one was only $.97 im hopeing the charger and battery come in together... but hey i have a pic that shows price and they should honer that.

post-154-1229921447_thumb.jpg

why dont you guys wire as many battery packs as you want (i think 2 would do the trick for extreme amounts of time). after wiring as many battery packs as you want get them on a small circut with a plug then you can run high powered things for longer! i have seen this done and it is very useful.

Cheers,

IC3