linux choices

anyedie

yea, so a few weeks ago I decided to duel boot linux and windows xp. I was/am pretty much the poster n00b of linux, I had no clue what distro to use or try. After much googling and reading I decided on Fedora Core 5, I installed it and begun playing. Since I have been curious on other distro's, and mml, have downloaded somewhere around 10 linux live disks. I have kinda decided that Fedora is not quite for me, but am still VERY intrested in learning/using linux properly. (ok so now ill get to my point) Well this seems like a great place to ask, so... What OS's do you guys use, do you like them, pro's and cons?

ps. if anyone could point me in the direction of how to correctly install firmware for my wifi card on fedora it would be much appriciated. Thankx Guys!

linux-KnoppixSTD. (Security Tool Distribution) Has just about everything a successful Cracker will need. It all depends on what you really wish to do with Linux. I use Knoppix because it has a program called Airsnort. Snatches Packets, And Decrypts Passwords. For the Very Lazy person in all of us. But if you havent looked in to taht one. Fool around with it. Tons of Tools, and theres a Download link to it in my *EDITED* post on this forum.

While were talking about boot off cds. Sorry to get a tad off topic. Does anyone know where i can download Maybe OS X. or any apple OS ISO that i can direct download (Torrents dont get along well w/ my computer). Or can Apple Os'es even be booted from a cd?

ps. if anyone could point me in the direction of how to correctly install firmware for my wifi card on fedora it would be much appriciated.

I think you mean drivers, not firmware. If you tell us what wireless card you have we might be able to help you better.

Check out http://www.fedorafaq.org for more help with fedora too.

You can have a look at distrowatch.com for an overview of all the distros.

When you say that 'Fedora is not quite for me' what is it you're getting turned off on? On top of that, what is it you want your Linux distro to do?

Once you've specified that, it'll be a lot easier for us to recommend you a distro that works right for YOU (as opposed to US).

While were talking about boot off cds. Sorry to get a tad off topic. Does anyone know where i can download Maybe OS X. or any apple OS ISO that i can direct download (Torrents dont get along well w/ my computer). Or can Apple Os'es even be booted from a cd?

dont ask for warez. will probally get you banned.

any way my rule of thumb is, if you know where to get pirate stuff then you should b allowed to have it. if not ur just a n00b :P

as for what kinda things I want my linux to do, im looking for something fairly easy to get started. Im kinda having some trouble figureing out how to use fedora correctly (it doesnt help that i cant get on line in fedora and try things right there). And im just trying to get a feel for whats good and not, ive already downloaded and played with (with much more luck than Fedora) anonym.os, hacking 9, nubuntu flight 6, and knoppix std.

Ive spent hours on the fedora wiki and when i tried to turn my wifi card on somehow i ended up turning my ethernet ports off!

::currently looking @fedorafaq, thankx again.

ps. my wifi card is the intel proset wireless 2915 ABG

Regarding the sticky:

Not sure about the stickys yet, it would probally be better if all the good parts from many threads were edited into a massive FAQ for teh n00bs. Wiki esq.

You could make a sticky with all commanly used questions like: which linux, i want to hack ect. As links to the wiki then have indervidual pages on that. It would mean that the forums were just full of stickys.

Just my opinion

There is a stickyed post, but only a few of us can edit most of it. So once i can figure out how the fuck a wiki works, i could have a stab at it. Just need enough content to make it worth it really, most of which is here already but just needs collesing into one thing.

I used ubuntu for a while - very easy to install, set-up and use. The only reason why I left it was because I looking for something a bit more indepth, not an os designed for windows users who planned to make the switch. (That's what I got out of it anyway, others may disagree).

Also, because you said that you didn't like Fedora Core 5 kinda scared me for a sec because thats the distro I'm going to install on my box tommorrow sometime. Was it just too much for you at first or was it not friendly with your hardware? Just curious.

well Linux is just a operating system basis and all the distros for linux use the linux kernal (which makes them linux), then each distro has there own ways of doing things, what programs they include etc.

the reason why people choose different distros is personal i think, as then what they do differently. people try some and like one and then stick with it. I think the main difference between all the distro is how much support they give it.

Linux is all about choice. Some people insist on calling Linux GNU/Linux becasue it was Linus Torvalts (excuse the spelling) who created the Linux kernel but it was the people of the GNU foundation who made all the tools that Linux uses today. Actualy the GNU tools where made first, then they never made a working Kernel them selfs, so Linus gave them his... and thats how it is today.

Try Nubuntu. Heres what its all about:

What is nUbuntu About?

The main goal of nUbuntu is to create a distribution which is derived from the Ubuntu distribution, and add packages related to security testing, and remove unneeded packages, such as Gnome, Openoffice.org, and Evolution. nUbuntu is the result of an idea two people had to create a new distribution for the learning experience. Many people ask, "What makes it better than X?", or "Why should I use this over Y". Our answer to this question is, we do not think about whether people are using it or not. We are more concerned about the learning process. If you want to try something with a clean interface, fast, and an excellent range of programs please don't hesitate to download nUbuntu.

Anything within the top 5 at distrowatch should be worth checking out. Suse is a great distro for new people, and the hardware it supports is surprising. As for what I use. I am using fedora5 on my laptop, slackware on one of the desktops and winxp/freebsd dual boot on my main box. Suse is definitely worth checking out.

Could someone please explain to me how a distro can support more hardware since hardware support comes from the kernel.

Don't all distro's come with a kernel that has modules for pretty much any device the kernel support, making the best 'distro' in terms of hardware support the one with the latest kernel?

(or if you're somewhat capable, any distro since you'll compile your own kernel)

The way I see it a distro has to do just 1 thing:

Allow you to properly manage all the software installed on your system.

Making installation easy is a VERY distant secondary target to aim for. After all, what's the point in making installation easy when once it's installed it's a pig to keep up to date?

Note that I said 'properly' manage. Not 'easily' manage. Easily is nice, but quite a number of pieces of software have options that may or may not be interesting to have around in your particular setup. I feel it's more important for you to be AWARE that program X is installed on your system in a certain way than it is to simply have the program on there. Most people who disagree tend to be those people who <dirty_look_at_coworkers>run MySQL as root</dirty_look_at_coworkers> because 'that way it always works'.

But I'm starting to rant here.

In summary:

1) Why do people feel a distro is responsible for hardware support as opposed to the actual kernel?

2) What do you consider to be the most important thing(s) that a distro must do?

• 2 months later...