streaming tv

uber_tom

ok so i read this topic

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9051

and decided to have a little play around.

I discoverd that its easy to set up a media stream that constatly broadcasts.

this is not all that bandwidth intensive, about 300k (upstream) per connection. i figure i'm good for abou 5 connections.

example rtsp:\\ubertom.co.uk\video

it also looks like servers can be linked. (can you see where i'm going with this?)

so if a few of us got together we could create a 'ip tv' network and broadcast stuff online.

Well, I recently discovered Azureus and Vuze, a video streaming network with lots of HD-Material which uses P2P, so you can virtually upload any filesize, bitrate, resolution and length.

I remeber that some people here wanted to start a network with all the IPTV-Hacking-Computer-Stuff shows on it. I think it all started with stage6, but then it went down and the project somehow stopped.

However, such a web-TV as you suggested it wouldn't be bad either. On revision3.com they have a live-stream that streams all their shows. I don't know what kind of setup they use to do this, but maybe Hak5 could build something similar.

• 4 months later...

I agree. It would make an interesting segment as well. I recently compiled a list of websites that stream live tv to the internet and created a quick and dirty application to make them easily accessible. Seems like a great project. keep me updated.

• 4 weeks later...

i know lots of set top boxes from cables companies including cox and directv (these are the only ones that ive tried) have activated firewire ports that you can stream tv from. i used to use them to record shows before i had a dvr. i dont think it would be very hard to open the cable box as a capture device or network stream in vlc player and stream it to the web.

• 2 weeks later...
Not only that but some people have a restriction on speed making it almost annoying to watch. Nevertheless interesting

I wasn't aware that people had no limit on speed?

I pay $100 a month for a 1500Kbps connection. (50GB allocated bandwidth)

• 2 months later...

You want to run 0/0 configs you gotta hack your modem. Custom firmware is available for most modems that use broadcom 3348-3349 chip (sb5100-sb5101). Depending on your isp it can be as simple as self serving your own config and a dns change (I Luv U Comcast!). Other methods entail cloning mac addresses.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before.

Comcast can deliver 38mbit/up - 11mbit/down on a docsis 2.0 node !!

^Do at your own risk. Nice way to see what your modem is actually capable of.

Do not flash a subscribed modem. Testing purposes only. Test modems are not a substitute for a valid subbed modem.

this is not all that bandwidth intensive, about 300k (upstream) per connection. i figure i'm good for abou 5 connections.

Can't you use UDP multicasting to make it so you upload the content once, and it is automatically sent off to many users in the cloud, without extra load on the server?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

The word "multicast" is typically used to refer to IP Multicast, which is often employed for streaming media and Internet television applications. In IP Multicast the implementation of the multicast concept occurs on the IP routing level, where routers create optimal distribution paths for datagrams sent to a multicast destination address spanning tree in real-time. "Multicast" is also used to describe data link layer one-to-many distribution such as Ethernet multicast addressing, ATM point-to-multipoint VCs or Infiniband multicast.

• 4 months later...
Well, I recently discovered Azureus and Vuze, a video streaming network with lots of HD-Material which uses P2P, so you can virtually upload any filesize, bitrate, resolution and length.

I remeber that some people here wanted to start a network with all the IPTV-Hacking-Computer-Stuff shows on it. I think it all started with stage6, but then it went down and the project somehow stopped.

However, such a web-TV as you suggested it wouldn't be bad either. On revision3.com they have a live-stream that streams all their shows. I don't know what kind of setup they use to do this, but maybe Hak5 could build something similar.

another interesting p2p streaming program is swarmplayer from p2p next: http://trial.p2p-next.org/

this can be used either to stream live video over p2p, or for existing .torrent files

http://wuala.com can also be used to stream video over p2p, but cannot do live streams

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried some of those too with different levels of success... However I have had GREAT success with watching streaming TV shows at superstreamtv.com.

Right now I'm trying to get through the entire series of Weeds streaming online. I've also used sidereel.com, and streamfiend.info before... but superStreamtv is my fav

You should check it out for an easier approach...

• 2 weeks later...
All-

I'm currently working on a Streaming Website. So far, it looks VERY PROMISING. I have Learned alot about streams and how to go about creating them. If any one has any questions as to how I did it, Feel free to ask away :)

I am working on a media server and streaming seems to be my biggest problem. I've tried a few variations such as Tversity, Orb and Jinzora which I really like, but wasn't able to get much help with. Now I have a 2k3 DC setup using AD for all my users.

They VPN in (PPTP) for now and then access the media directory with all the files. My problem is the stream is a bit choppy and it takes about 2-5 minutes before say a 700MB .avi file starts to even play.

I have a 22 MB down 5 Up connection connected to a Linksys RVS4000. I posted on another forum and a member mentioned I need to increase my upload for better performance. Is there not an easier alternative for a solution such as this to host from home without a pay for service?

If there is anyway to get better performance via my current VPN solution that'd be great, but I'm really liking a web based solution such as Jinzora and the fact that the user doesn't have to install anything besides maybe a plugin.