DYS: External Optical drive?

Mn

Now days we have ultra-thin laptops that pretty much force you to buy external optical drives (CDDVD-RW ROM drives) so i am wondering if anyone has a site with instructions on how to build one your self out of old computer parts.

• 2 months later...

For most external drives (useing IDE) you can just take out the HDD and replace it with a CD drive (but be warned moveing it constantly from place to place with out a case will cause the external case to malfunction) however if you just leave the CD drive in then it should last longer than mine.

Now days we have ultra-thin laptops that pretty much force you to buy external optical drives (CDDVD-RW ROM drives) so i am wondering if anyone has a site with instructions on how to build one your self out of old computer parts.

Installing Ubuntu on my eeePC required me to coble together a working USB CD drive. I found a 28 speed drive and used a USB to IDE adapter that did the job. Strangely, the drive got incredibly hot while the CD was spinning. Never relised how hot optical drives can get. May be it was just that particular drive, after all 28 speed... must be five years old.

Would USBs have enough power to run a CD-RW writer? Or would you need two usb slots, 1 for power and the other for data?

I have an old laptop, and I would like to try to get Ubuntu on it, but it has no optical drive.

No amount of USB ports would have enough power for a CD drive, they are 12v. The IDE to USB adapter has a power supply.

The BIOS on the older laptop might not support USB drives.

No amount of USB ports would have enough power for a CD drive, they are 12v. The IDE to USB adapter has a power supply.

The BIOS on the older laptop might not support USB drives.

They're not all 12v and the ones that are usually require both 12v and 5v. Slimline/laptop drives generally can run from USB.

Would USBs have enough power to run a CD-RW writer? Or would you need two usb slots, 1 for power and the other for data?

I have an old laptop, and I would like to try to get Ubuntu on it, but it has no optical drive.

a root usb port usually has about 500mWs (thats milli.... not mega) of power.

most cd writers use about 300mWs of power. so theoretically there is enough power, but as discussed there are voltage issues. you could wire in a transformer, if you were in an uber hack kinda mood, but that would up the power requered and i doubt the end result would be all that portable.

(also high power devices are not all that good for your laptop battery life)

a root usb port usually has about 500mWs (thats milli.... not mega) of power.

most cd writers use about 300mWs of power. so theoretically there is enough power, but as discussed there are voltage issues. you could wire in a transformer, if you were in an uber hack kinda mood, but that would up the power requered and i doubt the end result would be all that portable.

(also high power devices are not all that good for your laptop battery life)

That'll be 500mA (MilliAmps)

• 2 weeks later...