AndLinux...This seems cool.

Arsenic

This seems pretty pointless to be honest. If your a beginner and your wanting to run linux then, I agree, just go run it.. For a newbie, I think he will get more out of booting up into linux than this. It wouldnt give that same first impression/feel/rush as you get when you boot up that first live cd  :-D

No, it won't be good for newbies.

It would, give them a feel for Linux Programs without leaving windows.

I was quite interested in this when I came across it tbh, so I installed it on my work laptop. First thing it tanked was the wireless so I got rid of it. The only part of *nix I actually want on Windows is the command line, which I could achieve with a little collection of tools called unxtools. Tools like this are worse than useless for new *nix users as they offer a really shitty end user expirence at best. Cygwin et al are really pointless when virtulization is so cheap.

I think it looks like a good concept but I don't really see the point. I don't even think it would be good for beginner. Because, yes, your able to run a few Linux programs but since you're not in an actual Linux environment there's really not much that you're going to learn.

Kubuntu would probably be best for most Linux beginners that are used to Windows. Of all the distros it most resembles the Windows environment while still being easy enough learn for someone who's never used Linux before.

Let's be honest, if you want to learn something besides Windows, you have to leave Windows.

Interesting and totally a feat of coding however it begs the question "why?"

I mean if you're going to run Linux, just go ahead and run Linux. I dunno, maybe I'm not the intended audience. Maybe someone else can explain who is.

I can not believe YOU just asked that question

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting and totally a feat of coding however it begs the question "why?"

I mean if you're going to run Linux, just go ahead and run Linux. I dunno, maybe I'm not the intended audience. Maybe someone else can explain who is.

Exactly.    I've lost count of the number of people who ask me:

- Hey I wanna run a server like the big boys ...

- Hey I wanna be a big time developer ...

- Hey I wanna be a l33t h4x0r ...

That then proceed to run Ubuntu in a VM or use crap like this.   

Quit effing around and install Linux or keep your n00b arse in Redmonland and continue to code awesome-o shareware in Visual Basic.*  Or maybe if you're real special, you can create some sleek brushed metal GUI apps in Applescript to do things like remind you that NetInfo Manager is somehow the "intuitive" and "well designed" and "seamless" way to do group permissions in Appleland.**

And then the same people act surprised when I laugh and tell them "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" ***

* Flame me Vista lovers.

** Flame me Mac fanboys.

*** I do help / mentor people who use Linux for free ... but if you're on Windows cough up $60/hr or I won't give you the time of day.  $100/hr if you're using fruity Fischer Price variants.

What can I say.  Managing IT for entire companies with half a dozen+ OS variants and idiots who throw up pseudo love for them right after I have to bail them out can make a guy bitter.

* Flame me Vista lovers.

** Flame me Mac fanboys.

*** I do help / mentor people who use Linux for free ... but if you're on Windows cough up $60/hr or I won't give you the time of day.  $100/hr if you're using fruity Fischer Price variants.

Judging by that biased, insulting, baseless post I wouldn't say you're worth flaming. Inciting Yet Another OS War® doesn't make you look cool or sophisticated or knowledgeable, it makes you look like a twat.

In addition, there's fuck all wrong with running in a VM, especially when you need several potentially different or incompatible environments on the same machine.

• 3 years later...

@ darren

same concept as wine, if you could run some backtrack programs quickly it would be nice. like gerix wifi cracker would be really nice if it could be configured properly.

pinheadnecro2.jpg