FUCK SHOWNOTES!

SomeoneE1se

<rant>

Oh my fucking god, I hate shownotes!  Using shownotes is a total cop-out.  Case in point tekzilla ( http://revision3.com/tekzilla/glee/ ) go watch this last ep, now you might think I'm linking to the ep, BUT no, I'm not, those are the shownotes.  Yep those are the shownotes.  Now really I know the show sucks and when they review something, they only talk about what it's used for and not the actual product, BUT, watch it anyway.  I refuse to go back at watch is again to count the number of times they say "...in the shownotes..." now read the shownotes.... what's that?  Can't find them?  Expecting there to be shownotes?  They're there, trust me.  They just forgot to even make them.

</rant>

Now I don't dis-like shownotes, they are (kinda) required, if you want to make the uberlong links clickable shownotes, they're perfect for that.*  If you make a mistake, the device is $150 not $129 also okay.  Starting with a product review(/suggestion) and NOT including the price (or even a guess) NOT OKAY!

!DISCUSS!

*so is a little php code i.e. hak5.org/cool_device(.php)

&lt;?php header('Location: http://www.really-really-really.long/url/with_crap_like-this/dakha?Adf=398wfr&amp;39=t85th495t'); ?&gt;

show notes can be a lot of work, and they just don't want to be arsed to do them.

they should probably just say "research it yourself"

I could care less most of the time...

Then don't say in the shownotes!  I'd be more willing to accept "Ask google for more information"

that's akin to saying "Okay, now you will have just removed the outer caseing covering the detonator for the type 2 nuclear bomb, the correct wire to cut will be in the shownotes"

shownotes are usually good but  it depends on how there used

i generally run into  shows and podcasts that they talked about something  cool  even showed the long link, but in the shownotes, there  for some reason  not there, but instead links to things that i cant afford

it happens to every web show once in a while

even on hak5  there was one episode where they talked about a subdomain scanner  where you could type in a  a page  for example    forums.g4tv.com

and it will list all subdomains  like forums2.g4tv.com, forums3.g4tv.com  and so on

but for some reason i cant  find a download to the episode and searching the wiki that contains all show notes,  theres nothing that even talks about it

About the only two shows I can stomach over at Revision3 are Pixel Perfect, where show notes arent really needed since its a lesson in itself, and Webdrifter, which is just midless fun for 20-30 minutes. The rest of the shows seem like regurgetated things I have either seen on hak5 or other websites and lack any real entertainment value.

As for show notes, at the bottom of each video page is a list of the shows rundown, but again, usually just points to off site links talked about in the show with no real meat and potatoes that gives you walkthroughs or such.

I have to agree though, if they say see the show notes, then there should be something in the shownotes, but that goes for any show, including Hak5.

Personally, I just go back and watch the videos when I want to remember how to do somehting, or I check the forums for each episode since they usually discuss it more in depth or link to some alternatives as well.

Our show notes situation here at Hak5 is abysmal to say the least. I think we started off strong but at some point we got far off track. I've been playing around with different wiki solutions since the current install of mediawiki is fubar'd. http://notes.hak5.org and www.hak5.org/docuwiki are my latest ventures. Thankfully I have the help of a volunteer editor but it's going to take some time to get everything fixed up.

• 3 weeks later...
Well. . .  Fuck Tekzilla

Pfft, Tekzilla has more entertainment then this POS show.  Hell, Patrick Norton has more experience then everyone in Hak5.  He can actually properly present things, unlike the guys in this show that sound like boys in puberty who have no people skills. 

Seriously, make this shit exciting.

Well. . .  Fuck Tekzilla

Pfft, Tekzilla has more entertainment then this POS show.  Hell, Patrick Norton has more experience then everyone in Hak5.  He can actually properly present things, unlike the guys in this show that sound like boys in puberty who have no people skills. 

How lovely...

Well. . .  Fuck Tekzilla

Patrick Norton may have more experience then Darren and Wess but he knows less about computers and tekzilla is crap as far has computer information and hacks

hak5 comes out once a month and kicks the shit out of tekzilla and systm put together and they come out weekly

and I think the saying is "If you don't like it fuck off you steaming pile of n00b shit!"

Patrick Norton may have more experience then Darren and Wess but he knows less about computers and tekzilla is crap as far has computer information and hacks

hak5 comes out once a month and kicks the shit out of tekzilla and systm put together and they come out weekly

and I think the saying is "If you don't like it fuck off you steaming pile of n00b shit!"

Yeah but there's no ENTERTAINMENT in it. It sounds like a bunch of kids reading from a script, telling you what to do, sounding like robots. I might as well go read an article then watch these guys waste my time.

The Screen Savers is another example of people who actually have social skills and can talk. Leo, Patrick, Kevin, everyone, actually can make eye contact and not sound like robots.

Well, to each their own. Your entitled to your opinion.

Few things though. Have you watched ALL the episodes of Hak5? Not that it matters, but there is content on here you dont get on Techzilla. Some of the stuff on Techzilla was already done on here in the past.ex: Home Made Video Game Cabinet, was already done on hak5 like a year or two ago.

Basically, Techzilla (and you) "Can suck ma balls" to quote a certain someone.

Hak5 FTW! The only good shows on Revision are WebDrifter and Pixel Perfect.

As someone who doesn't have blind faith in either Hak5 or Rev3 but watches shows both groups put out, I can say they both have their flaws and they both have their upsides too. Simple fact of the matter though is that if you don't like it, don't watch it. Now, that's what people usually say when they want you to STFU and GTFO but this time that's not the case...

I absolutely believe that for the show (for any show) to improve, there has to be some level of constructive criticism. "THIS SHIT IS FUCKING BORING" doesn't cut it. If you want to improve the show (as you see it, bear in mind others may not agree) then explain what you like/don't like. Tekzilla is aimed, as much as I dislike the idea, at those who don't know a whole lot about computing, the ins and outs, the tricks and corners to cut. Systm is more hardware based, a little more advanced but still aimed at those who haven't really done a lot in hardware before. Hak5 is a mash of the two, with some extras thrown in too. I can't stand anything with Martin Sergent in it but I don't go around bashing it, I just don't download it.

They all have different audiences and if you like one show you may well dislike another, it's how opinions go.

I will admit that I've voiced opinions for and against many of Revision 3's shows and I've also done so for Hak5 and Ziff Davis' shows. All of them have had low points and to claim without any second thought that the sun shines out of the asses of Louderback/Kitchen/Tobler/Rose/Laporte/Norton/Dvorak/Corbin/etc, etc, etc would be nothing short of stupid. That's not to say I think the names I just mentioned do a particularly good or bad job, I'm simply suggesting that to fanboy out without much of a basis to do so is pretty pointless.

I'm gonna end up going around in circles just like I do in every rant but to sum it up I'll say this; If you don't like a show, either help improve it or shut up about it.

<rant>

Oh my fucking god, I hate shownotes!  Using shownotes is a total cop-out.  Case in point tekzilla ( http://revision3.com/tekzilla/glee/ ) go watch this last ep, now you might think I'm linking to the ep, BUT no, I'm not, those are the shownotes.  Yep those are the shownotes.  Now really I know the show sucks and when they review something, they only talk about what it's used for and not the actual product, BUT, watch it anyway.  I refuse to go back at watch is again to count the number of times they say "...in the shownotes..." now read the shownotes.... what's that?  Can't find them?  Expecting there to be shownotes?  They're there, trust me.  They just forgot to even make them.

</rant>

Now I don't dis-like shownotes, they are (kinda) required, if you want to make the uberlong links clickable shownotes, they're perfect for that.*  If you make a mistake, the device is $150 not $129 also okay.  Starting with a product review(/suggestion) and NOT including the price (or even a guess) NOT OKAY!

!DISCUSS!

*so is a little php code i.e. hak5.org/cool_device(.php)

&lt;?php header('Location: http://www.really-really-really.long/url/with_crap_like-this/dakha?Adf=398wfr&amp;39=t85th495t'); ?&gt;

Why do you say this?

Patrick Norton is likable when most IPTV shows/ videocasts/ whatever have presenters that are just completely unlikeable or get some random okay looking/ girl next door type to do it, to try and bring in the male audience. The content is lacking in all shows but coming up with content is not always easy if you don't have the money and time, this is where Rev3 should be doing a better job.

I don't really watch Hak5 anymore as it's stopped being funny, it went from being a show with friends just messing about and having a beer to this, I do sometime skip through it and watch parts. I've always been a supporter of the fon so I watched that part.