(homemade) Intel CPU Key ring

DeGrijze

During the remodeling of my house I found some old computer hardware laying a round in places i totally forgot i got.

Becouse iam a kind of hardware hacker i had to do something with some of this old hardware.

And so i made this Intel CPU Key ring from a old CPU a ring and some soldering, with a Dremel i grind down all the CPU pins and with a soldering iron en some soldering a soldered a ring to the CPU.

Intel-CPU-sleutelhanger.jpg

And its a nice change of the RAM-mem-Key ring that i also have use for many years now,

(started out with a 30pins mem module and when that broke 4 years ago a replaced the broken 30 pins with a 72 pins one).

Memstick-sleutelhanger.jpg

:lol: Have fun in your life and with your old hardware. :lol:

Gerard

You know, it's a pretty cool idea.  But are you sure Intel didn't use any lead or other toxic chemicals in the manufacture of that CPU? If it's inside of a computer, that's one thing, but if it's on your keychain you're touching it every day.  Therefore, you may be running a risk of poisoning yourself.  Definitely don't let your baby use it as a chew toy...

Perhaps you might consider using a 45 nm microprocessor in the future:

Intel eliminates lead use in future 45nm microprocessors (May 05, 2007)

hxxp: arstechnica. com/news. ars/post/20070522-intel-eliminates-lead-use-in-future-45nm-microprocessors. html

You know, it's a pretty cool idea.  But are you sure Intel didn't use any lead or other toxic chemicals in the manufacture of that CPU? If it's inside of a computer, that's one thing, but if it's on your keychain you're touching it every day.  Therefore, you may be running a risk of poisoning yourself.  Definitely don't let your baby use it as a chew toy...

Pfff. Unless you're the type that constantly chews on his key chain this will do nothing. And even if you did, the amounts of toxic chemicals that you're exposed to should be negligible.

And I do believe many if not all manufacturers are moving to non-leaded chips. It's what the RoHS (Reduction Of Hazardous Materials) in the product description stands for. I know for one Via is doing this already with their current line of boards.