Am i the only one that does this?

ynt4xe770r

Thats a good idea actually, cause your getting old pcs off the streets where they will just be dumped if not sold.

They could come in for a good use or maybe the hardware inside them could be k.

I wouldnt use the hhd's tho, you never know whats on them things.

I wouldnt use the hhd's tho, you never know whats on them things.

True, that 300gb I got had the usual stuff that any idiot would leave for someone else to find and exploit: Bank accounts, Social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc. If I was an evil person I could have ruined their lives.

I picked up my last PC (1GHz Athlon w/128MB RAM + other randomness) from the trash - just so happened that in my drowsy state one morning on the way to college I got the bus to college but got the wrong one (the one that goes in the opposite direction) and right near the bus stop on the way back home (to get the right bus) I found the system just laying there outside with the HDD disconnected and gfx card (32MB TNT2) unseated with the screw missing! That system did me well until I finally upgraded!

I've found loads of kit out and about... also cheap gear from car boot sales/flea (sp?) markets is generally still good - and even if the equipment's old it generally still does it's job well enough.

I find the car boot is the best place for that sort of stuff. Some people just dont no jack about PC's any will nearly just give em away. For example one of my friends who ive tryed to teach just doesnt get the hole thing about computers they would prefer a pc that has a flat screen and XP with a 2.0ghz and 512mb of memory than a 3ghz with 2gb of memory runnig ME or linux.

i wanna do things like this!! i want peoples old 300gb drives!! i need a 300gb takling about it actually...

heh it's really not so hard if you just stay alert... everywhere holds oportunity! local dumps are good sometimes, but careful - they aren't allowed to sell electrical goods and if you're under 16 (?) you must be accompanied by an adult...

my 1gb memory stick duo came today!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D psp is good now :D

w00t!

Yeah a 90% of Mac owners are unrealistic about the price of there old equipment, they seem to thing that they can take 10 or 15% of the price they paid new, even know it’s two more years old.

I was looking for a PowerMac G4 to test viruses on (I have a small test lab set up and mainly do proof of concept stuff.) and this guy was asking £2000 for it.

You should be able to pick one up for around the £400 mark on Ebay.

The price should have really dropped more as Apple have changed to Intel but I think next year the market should be flooded with cheap PowerPC based Macs and then I will pick up a few power books and run Debian on them.