Fedora or Ubuntu

Malachai

Hello all,

I have a question for you. I been working with FC6 for a while, but I'm ready to give up on it... I was wondering what you guys think about Ubuntu?

Which one is better to learn and much easier to load, and configure it on a laptop? I need a good OS to learn how to wardrive. FC6 is okay but dammm trying to configure things is a pain, plus ipw2200 is bitch to configure under FC6... For some reason I can't connect to any access point.

Let me know what you think

--Malachai--

I really like the Buntu family of distros. I have been playing a lot with Kubuntu as of late trying to get to know KDE and it's really pretty dirt simple to use and more internet based support than i think any set of distros and the people are very nice and noob friendly. Since your going with a laptop try out http://www.linux-laptop.net/ great resource for compatibility of laptop hardware and linux.

I really like the Buntu family of distros. I have been playing a lot with Kubuntu as of late trying to get to know KDE and it's really pretty dirt simple to use and more internet based support than i think any set of distros and the people are very nice and noob friendly. Since your going with a laptop try out http://www.linux-laptop.net/ great resource for compatibility of laptop hardware and linux.

Thank you for the link. I have a DELL XPS M140... If you notice on the list all the way at the bottom. The only linux dist is SuSu...

I'm going to try Fedora 6 right now and see how that goes. But this time I'm going to force myself to use KDE... I used Gnome for a while but I think it's time for a switch... I notice that most KDE look better then Gnome...

i have actually been wondering about the compatibility of my hp pavilion dv1000 laptop and ubuntu family of distros because i was hopeing to make my laptop a duel boot lunix and xp so i could test out and becom acustom to a lunix system, i have done the same on my pc but i spend most of my time on the laptop because it gose every ware i do and im never home to use the pc

on the Linux on Laptops site, people link to articles of how they got their hardware to work on certain distro's. Linux is Linux is *nix. Try out what they did and/or modify it to work with the distro you are using. It's a great site. I found a 2 year old article about how to get wide screen working on my laptop, it worked and it was the only place that had the information.

I would actually recommend another distro SabayonLinux

I was messing with it yesterday, it looks really good.

It uses Gentoo as its base, but is designed to just allow stuff to work out of the box. It's an installable liveDVD (CD version available as well). It comes with proprietary drivers and hence xgl and all that really cool stuff works right away without needing any configuration. My wifi still doesn't work though :(

My personal experience from kubuntu tells me that it's pretty unstable and stuff often breaks

One problem with this distro though is that it's pretty small and isos are usually only available through bittorent, there are only a few http mirrors, and they usually only come after the bittorent release

I would actually recommend another distro SabayonLinux

I was messing with it yesterday, it looks really good.

It uses Gentoo as its base, but is designed to just allow stuff to work out of the box. It's an installable liveDVD (CD version available as well). It comes with proprietary drivers and hence xgl and all that really cool stuff works right away without needing any configuration. My wifi still doesn't work though :(

My personal experience from kubuntu tells me that it's pretty unstable and stuff often breaks

One problem with this distro though is that it's pretty small and isos are usually only available through bittorent, there are only a few http mirrors, and they usually only come after the bittorent release

i am currently playing with it 2 tho i must say there are some ftp mirrors as far as i kno ...

I don't like ubuntu, it hides to much stuff and has never worked 100% the way it should for me. I like Fedora though, it worked out of the box without problem on my laptop. Kubuntu is horrible, you may as well just install KDE on ubuntu. My main problem with ubuntu is pretty much my main problem with OSX, i have no idea what but something about it pisses me off.

@Vako: lol

Im using FC's 3 and 5, 3 coz its an old server and has never been reformated nor updated (file server for the win) and 5 coz 6 wasnt released at the time i donwloaded it :P

but im more than happy with FC, defently over Ubuntu, though Ubuntu has more driver support, and is suposably more user friendly, i found when running a GUI server (<_< yeah i know... bad_) Fedora was more reliable and had a better up time.

I don't like ubuntu, it hides to much stuff and has never worked 100% the way it should for me. I like Fedora though, it worked out of the box without problem on my laptop. Kubuntu is horrible, you may as well just install KDE on ubuntu. My main problem with ubuntu is pretty much my main problem with OSX, i have no idea what but something about it pisses me off.

Thats funny because thats the exact same reason i choose Ubuntu over Fedora. Wireless drivers seemed to aways crash for me here and there, I hate the default desktop icons (i prefer a clean desktop with Firefox and a couple other apps). YUM is fricken annoying adding repos, and downloading the headers seems slow at times (but I am biased due to my long time use with Debian) Everything just works out of the box on my laptop with Ubuntu. Although to be fair if I had to build a server right now I would probably throw Fedora on it because it is a solid distribution and very secure.

Hey but thats why Linux is about choice.

thank you all for your feedback... I stayed with fedora 6 right now, but I'm going to use KDE rather then Gnome...

I need to figure out how KDE works plus would like to custom KDE...

Whats a great site to check out for KDE on custom desktops.

-Malachai--

VaKo wrote:

Thats funny because thats the exact same reason i choose Ubuntu over Fedora. Wireless drivers seemed to aways crash for me here and there, I hate the default desktop icons (i prefer a clean desktop with Firefox and a couple other apps). YUM is fricken annoying adding repos, and downloading the headers seems slow at times (but I am biased due to my long time use with Debian) Everything just works out of the box on my laptop with Ubuntu. Although to be fair if I had to build a server right now I would probably throw Fedora on it because it is a solid distribution and very secure.

Hey but thats why Linux is about choice.

ubuntu the first lunix i tried and i fell in love with its desktop set up with the ability to change between different screens mostly because im constantly running several different operations at once and it really cleans up my screen, a huge bonus for me.

• 1 month later...

Vake, kubuntu is ubuntu and KDE...

it is also pretty pointless to judge an OS, if you got no idea how to use it..

sorry nothing personal bro! we just cannot allow ourselves to criticize OS based on assumptions...

:arrow:

sorry nothing personal bro! we just cannot allow ourselves to criticize OS based on assumptions...

Yes he can. Ubuntu is shit and so are the people that work on it. Why? ,Because they embrace closed source, which hinders innovation and destroys one of the founding ideas of Linux.

By using Ubuntu, you fuck every *NIX user out there, as you remove the pressure on manufactures to move towards open source. Ubuntu users should fuck off back to Windows.

(End of rant)

Yes he can. Ubuntu is shit and so are the people that work on it. Why? ,Because they embrace closed source, which hinders innovation and destroys one of the founding ideas of Linux.

By using Ubuntu, you fuck every *NIX user out there, as you remove the pressure on manufactures to move towards open source. Ubuntu users should fuck off back to Windows.

(End of rant)

And you are pretty impolite for a human being :?

and pretty stupid too :roll:

Yes, Ubuntu embraces "closed source", so?

If you were a bit smart, you will realize that when you install ubuntu, all packages are 100% free and open source.

Ubuntu GIVES YOU a choice - a choice of freedom, it is up to you to install the freaking closed source software and even then, so you know none of the proprietary softwares are hosted on the ubuntu mirrors

so before you start calling people "fuckers", do some research, at least you might look a bit smart - i mean "look smart", impolite? you already are, so don't worry - at least one thing you've achieved in your life.

peace

Its the iPod factor. Ubuntu's ultimate goal is to make Linux for the masses, a distro that totally replaces windows and is just as easy to use. Part of this means that eventually they will need to support the DRM'd codecs that iPods and the next gen HD formats require to function. Without this support, out of the box and fully compliant with the standards it will never dent windows or osx's market share. People are not prepared to screw around with something for a few days with the CLI, just to get a DVD working, they will pay for that. Obviously these parts cannot be open source, and this is already shown when looking at including more hardware support out of the box.

Another linked factor is that its intended market is Joe & Jane Q. Public, and as anyone who has worked in tech support will already know, they are fucktards when it comes to tech. Simple things like opening a command prompt and telneting into a pop3 server become 20minute battles over the spelling of "telnet". And to do well in that market, it will have to alter linux to make it easier. More reliance on the gui etc. And the removal of the root&user distinctions shows this.

So, after 5 years of continuous tinkering, more proprietary software included, license fee's to pay and a far less tech savvy user base Ubuntu will probally have deviated substantially from the rest of the distro's, thanks mainly to the amount of money it has backing it, which allows it to achieve far more. Where other distro's have tried to keep standards, Ubuntu has a far more go-it-alone attitude. I can eventually see Ubuntu turning into a OSX like alternative to windows that does everything out of the box (ie hardware, DRM etc) but cost $X for mandatory support.

http://hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58201#58201

I still think that Ubuntu will deviate massively from "standard" Linux over time, simply because of the money behind it.

(End of rant)

If you were a bit smart, you will realize that when you install ubuntu, all packages are 100% free and open source.

Ubuntu GIVES YOU a choice - a choice of freedom, it is up to you to install the freaking closed source software and even then, so you know none of the proprietary softwares are hosted on the ubuntu mirrors

so before you start calling people "fuckers", do some research, at least you might look a bit smart - i mean "look smart", impolite? you already are, so don't worry - at least one thing you've achieved in your life.

peace

This is my last post so all I can say is that, I disagree with you and think you’re a tool.

(End of rant)

peace

This is my last post so all I can say is that, I disagree with you and think you’re a tool.

dude... that was a cheap answer don't you think so?

You disagree! ok, fine! with what then? coz all i said is true! so you disagree because you can prove me wrong? then go ahead, or you disagree because you just feel like disagreeing? - tsss tsss, trust me, you continue like that, you might as well start spamming the forum for the sake of being bored at your computer,

till later,

peace

All I have to say is all live distros are training wheels for *nix and you have to take the training wheels off sometime I just did :) I love debian Etch will suport my wifi :):) yes I've crashed my bike several time now working on 3 install in as many days if you been using fedora 6 then why go with a live disto your already that much ahead of me and debian give you the option to install the closed source and I told it no thank you then it asked me if I wanted to include the programs that have closed source dependences again I just accepted the default no and moved on. you have your choice of gnome or KDE I like KDE :):);) you could run both I think? ;) could someone tell me what the closed source packages are I think they're like some of the video codexs and such.

and thank you Linus Torvalds for letting me spend my money on hardware and not software :)