OS From Microshaft

Ethan Hunt

Hey hacklings :D I'll go straight 2 the point. I have a dreamwiever project 4 christmas 2 make a web site on any topic I like. I thought 4 some time and decided 2 go with a new OS that (with permission of the founders of Microshaft - Darren and Wess) can be produced under the microshaft company name :D IF IT CAN... I'm looking 4 any kind of help (information vise) like name of operating system (Microshaft Doors) or something :D Information about the various new cool veatures that it may have ect. If some1's up 4 it I could use a logo or some cool "desktop" wallpaper that I may put on the screenshot of the OS. Thanks a lot.. Any kind of support is gr8tly appriciated.

I would imagine allot of inspiration can be taken from http://msfirefox.com/ for some thing like this. ;)

To parody Windows Vista to the extreme you would have to make statements like "The built-in DRM stops you from doing what you want with the content your bought" but put a strange but positive spin on it. Like so: "Microshaft Doors comes compleate with built in media management systems. Allowing you to access licensed content but with out having to worry about been part of the over whelming piracy problem that is currently manifesting it's self in the world today!"

More I came up with:

Aero parody:

With the new innovative patented Doors interface Arial from Microshaft© you can experience the most glamours way to operate your computer. All the blurry, eye straining window borders you will ever need! And combined with the new patented performance booting NowBoot technology this comes at a very minimal cost of 40% total performance.

Are Your Sure? (not nearly as good as the Aero one):

You'll never make a mistake again with our new patented AreYouSure technology! Every time you want to do some thing, your computer will always ask for your permission!

OMFGz!1!one! I madz a logos!:

(This was made 100% with The GIMP)

DoorsTM_small.png

Doesn't look like a door I know, but here is the GIMP xcf file so you can drop what ever logo you want on to that awesome round thing I made lol. The layers aren't properly set out (the shineie bits should have been on separate layers but I didn't do that because I'm stupid lol).

Probably too raunchy, but what about Microshaft Doors, Goatse.cx Edition. Where you'd have the guy pull his asshole apart and rather than seeing his kidneys that's where the window contents would be displayed.

Yeah, I'm scary like that. :twisted:

You made me scream at my monitor!

Speaking of screaming, you definitely need to put this in the EULA of Microshaft Doors:

"18. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES. Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur for any reason whatsoever (including, without limitation, all damages referenced herein and all direct or general damages in contract or anything else), the entire liability of Microshaft and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy hereunder (except for any remedy of repair or replacement elected by Microshaft with respect to any breach of the Limited Warranty) shall be limited to the greater of the actual damages you incur in reasonable reliance on the Software up to the amount US$-50.00. The foregoing limitations, exclusions and disclaimers (including Sections 15, 16 and 17) shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, even if any remedy fails its essential purpose."

That basically says: "If the software brakes your computer you pay Microshaft $50." lol, people will still agree to it lol!

You should've worded it in such a way that it seems that you're getting money if it breaks, but the costs incurred by seeking the money will easily surpass the amount you're entitled to.

Like you get $50 when one of our trained technicians comes over and verifies that there is an actual problem. Our technician works on an hourly rate of $25 an hour, with a minimum of 4 hours, and will not be trained to actually solve the problem. For that, please hire one of our $300 an hour (8 hour minimum) consultants.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Sparda and Cooper for the ideas and the logo. They were implemented. Unfortunately I had major personall problems so I did not make the website as I imagined it (did not have the time). There's also the limitations that my instructor set and I have(ahem)to respect them. Therefore the Microshaft Doors website will be uploaded by the time the next hak5 comes out(I hope). Thanks again.

P.S. To Darren and Wess:

Could I put the Microshaft Videos of the variety of product that you made on the web site? It would be awesome if it's ok with you.

P.P.S. If there are any new ideas they are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks to Sparda and Cooper for the ideas and the logo. They were implemented. Unfortunately I had major personall problems so I did not make the website as I imagined it (did not have the time). There's also the limitations that my instructor set and I have(ahem)to respect them. Therefore the Microshaft Doors website will be uploaded by the time the next hak5 comes out(I hope). Thanks again.

P.S. To Darren and Wess:

Could I put the Microshaft Videos of the variety of product that you made on the web site? It would be awesome if it's ok with you.

P.P.S. If there are any new ideas they are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes you can. Almost everything they do is Creative Commons so as long as your not making money on it and are giving credit you can use it how you like. I'm sure Darren will be around soon to confirm this.

Yeah, all Hak5 releases are, unless otherwise stated, Creative Commons licensed, you can use them wherever and for whatever (I think the only condition is that you give credit to the creator(s)).

Hak5 is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5

More information on the license can be found here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

The license is displayed at the end of each episode. Basically you are free to share and remix the work as long as it meets the non-commercial, attribution, and share-alike requirements.

As far as the clip is concerned, I'd love to see it. Post away.