TETRA - Setup problem

shad0ra

Hi there,

Just received my Pineapple TETRA, unfortunately the reset button doesn't seems to work. I can't get through the initial setup, when I push the reset button then I click on the continue button on the web interface, nothing happens. I can't reach the upgrade page, already tried from Linux, Android, different Web browsers...

Anyone having the same issue ?

What can I do ?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same issue here... Hit reset for 7+ times in a row seems to trigger the reboot (orange LED blinks out), but hitting the button rapidly, or holding for 3+ seconds during the Setup page doesn't seem to work. Radios are still broadcasting initial APs during a rapid reset button hit. 

Successfully just did a Nano setup, everything went smooth. Any way to progress past the initial page, and manually update firmware / check via the Advanced settings? I've tried on Windows and Linux... 

Any way to set this 'state' via SSH to get around the initial setup page? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the Tetra back out to see if I could make progress with this item. 

Summary still is: not working.  The reset button never has any influence on the device state. I can't use it to get past initial setup, I can't use it to enter recovery, or a reset. A quick press, 7s, 10s, or any pressing of the button has any impact on the device status or lights. 

At this point, any next steps would be great... 

1 hour ago, rekoob said:

I got the Tetra back out to see if I could make progress with this item. 

Summary still is: not working.  The reset button never has any influence on the device state. I can't use it to get past initial setup, I can't use it to enter recovery, or a reset. A quick press, 7s, 10s, or any pressing of the button has any impact on the device status or lights. 

At this point, any next steps would be great... 

Please contact support@hak5.org with your order number.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm having the same problem. Bought this about a month ago and am now trying to set it up.  

1. Browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471/ --> Success!
  2. Click Continue --> http://172.16.42.1:1471/index.php?action=firmwareUpdate --> Success!
  3. Disable Radios and Click Continue --> nothing happens.
  4. Try to factory reset, nothing happens.  Blue light stays illuminated, no reboot.

Is this a hardware problem?

• 4 weeks later...

As an update to my previous post.  I was able to get the Tetra working.  I used a headphone jack to press in the reset button very hard.  In doing this, I was able to advance beyond the update firmware page and upload the latest firmware.  I was reluctant to do this because I was afraid that I was going to damage the reset button but it worked without damaging anything. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Guys

wanted to let you know - i had the same problems as you guys but i solved it with 2 things

A. the reset button is extremely badly designed. had to use force for it to work

B. by mistake i downloaded the upgrade for the nano (i have the tetra) which was upgrade-1.1.3.bin the webpage said the update was validated, but nothing happened. when i downloaded the version for the tetra which was upgrade-1.1.2.bin it worked

please note, it is a serious amout of pressure you need to apply - BAD HARDWARE DESIGN

On 8/13/2017 at 1:17 PM, Stress said:

it is a serious amout of pressure you need to apply - BAD HARDWARE DESIGN

Is it bad design or a sturdy design?

We have become aware of a manufacturing anomaly which has caused a small number of WiFi Pineapple TETRA buttons to "stick".

Unfortunately this prevents the completion of the initial setup security process. Thankfully this can be remedied by the user with this simple procedure:

1. Follow the instructions at wifipineapple.com/tetra to flash the latest firmware.
  2. When prompted to press the reset button, FIRMLY press and hold the dimple end of the reset button with a pen or similar instrument for 1-2 seconds.
  3. Click the Continue link on the setup page.
  4. Repeat steps 2-3 as necessary until setup continues.

See the following video guide for an illustration:
https://youtu.be/xe8E_xnM7SU

For the vast majority of users, this fix solves the button issue. If this does not for you, please let us know and we will begin the warranty process in order to exchange your WiFi Pineapple TETRA.

Please also note that after the button starts working, it will continue to do so and require much less pressure.

• 3 months later...

Hello

I have bought a Pineapple TETRA from you some time ago. And I had this button issue. I tried to push, like on video, and I broke it (literally). Then I decided to replace it:

SsqHugA.jpg

R3q32Oi.jpg

It still not working, and I have two questions:

1) Can you still exchange it?
2) If not, can you please advise how can I fix it by myself (or try to fix)?

Thank you very much in advance

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a PineAP Tetra from hakshop and I was trying to setup it. Since I bought the Elite field kit, I was following the instructions provided in "Wifi Pineapple" book included in the kit. I connected the antennas to the Tetra, I plugged in the wall battery charger, and then I connected the micro usb cable from micro eth port to the notebook . The device seems to work (solid blue light) but my notebook does not recognize it : both with Linux and with Windows I can see the Pinexxx access points, but I can not retrieve the Tetra IP address. On Linux, with the ifconfig command I do not see anything .

Also, when I plug in the wall battery charger, there's a bit of burnt smell coming from the Tetra which forces to unplugged the device. I live in Italy so I'm using an adapter with the wall battery charger (which comes with an American light grip).

Anyone can help me with those problems? Thank you.   

1 hour ago, ricospamper said:

I plugged in the wall battery charger, and then I connected the micro usb cable from micro eth port to the notebook .

There are 2x micro USB ports on the tetra, one is a UART/serial port the other is a USB to Ethernet adapter. I am wondering if you have perhaps plugged the charger into the eth port and are trying to connect the serial to your laptops? if so switch them over and you should get an interface and IP.

1 hour ago, ricospamper said:

Also, when I plug in the wall battery charger, there's a bit of burnt smell coming from the Tetra which forces to unplugged the device.

What charger is it? is it meant to charge the battery and then use the battery to power the tetra? i got my kit when it was different so im not 100% sure what you have. If its a micro USB im guessing its to recharge the battery? or does it have a DC barrel connector to connect 12V to the Tetra? I would double check operating voltages etc to be sure.

9 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

There are 2x micro USB ports on the tetra, one is a UART/serial port the other is a USB to Ethernet adapter. I am wondering if you have perhaps plugged the charger into the eth port and are trying to connect the serial to your laptops? if so switch them over and you should get an interface and IP.

Maybe I did not explain it well. I connected the Tetra micro usb port (the one with "eth" label) to a classic USB type A of my notebook, as the book guide says.

12 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

What charger is it? is it meant to charge the battery and then use the battery to power the tetra? i got my kit when it was different so im not 100% sure what you have. If its a micro USB im guessing its to recharge the battery? or does it have a DC barrel connector to connect 12V to the Tetra? I would double check operating voltages etc to be sure.

I'm using the wall battery charger provided in the Elite field kit, so it supposed to be the correct one to be used. The operating voltages of charger in question are: INPUT 100-240V 0.7 A max, OUTPUT 12V - 2A .

2 minutes ago, ricospamper said:

The operating voltages of charger in question are: INPUT 100-240V 0.7 A max, OUTPUT 12V - 2A .

Thats perfect, sometimes the transformers have a light coating of oil and that can warm and give off a light smell for a short while. Maybe that was it.

3 minutes ago, ricospamper said:

I connected the Tetra micro usb port (the one with "eth" label) to a classic USB type A of my notebook, as the book guide says.

That should be fine, I use a similar setup occasionally. Im not sure why your devices aren't creating a interface from it. For now, maybe complete the initial configuration by joining the wifi network or using a rj45 cable to get it online and updated.

2 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Thats perfect, sometimes the transformers have a light coating of oil and that can warm and give off a light smell for a short while. Maybe that was it.

uhmm...Ok, I hope so. I would not to burn everything (Tetra + my notebook).

5 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

That should be fine, I use a similar setup occasionally. Im not sure why your devices aren't creating a interface from it. For now, maybe complete the initial configuration by joining the wifi network or using a rj45 cable to get it online and updated.

As I said, I was following the guide to be sure that everything would go well and the step you are suggesting me is not mentioned in the guide. Could you explain what you are saying more in detail? What am I supposed to do after plugging in the Tetra to its wall battery charger?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, ricospamper said:

uhmm...Ok, I hope so. I would not to burn everything (Tetra + my notebook).

If its the HAK5 adapter then it should all be fine. I doubt it would kill the laptop that would be a super serious chain of faults if that was the case. But without seeing it myself i can only speculate.

6 minutes ago, ricospamper said:

Could you explain what you are saying more in detail? What am I supposed to do after plugging in the Tetra to its wall battery charger?

OK, there are multiple ways to connect to your tetra. Here is one I find quite reliable and useful as it also gives the tetra internet access.

1.    Connect Tetra to home router using LAN cable

2.    Connect a 12V 2A power supply to the tetra's DC power jack and wait for it to fully boot. this time you should see yellow LED also as that's lan activity.

3.    When the tetra booted it got an IP from your router. You may need to log into your router to find out what that IP was, you could also nmap your network etc.

4.    Once you know the IP the tetra has received from your router then you can browse to (for example) http://192.168.1.100:1471 to reach your tetra.

Archived