Missing old Hak5

biob

Dear Hak5,

don't mean to anger anyone with this post... but im finding myself missing the good old Hak5 podcasts. The days when we had tutorials based around hacking tools , readily available . It seems the show is now  based purely on Hak5's amazing products. An as great as they maybe, they aren't very affordable outside of the US e.g. Wifi Pineapple nano, being £125 , from European supplier.

i appreciate, that Hak5 is a business and they have to eat. But would it not be possible to setup another channel to provide the tutorials for the products you sell and get back to the old format? I mean, how's the Hak5 van? Has it been turned into a hacking mobile command centre? Have you guys built any custom gear of late e.g. Password cracking rigs, photo framed pc and all that goodness.

I've even noticed a decline in the discussions and help that is available on the forums.

please, please, please bring back the show we all loved and admired.

I understand where you're coming from dude, money is always tight.

Hak5 has evolved over the years from the early days of simple keyboard repainting mods and installing a 12v cigarette socket into your pc to Bash Bunny, Wifi Pineapple and the like.

As part of this evolution  it's natural for them to do shows on all the cool stuff they're working on, now that they have direct involvement in the development side of things.

But hey, I'd also love to see some low budget hacks and hardware as a segment one day, that'd be pretty cool.

Until then I tend to follow Seytonic on his youtube channel, he does a lot of cheap hardware hacks and such.

So I've just added that to my "stuff to watch" list. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you guys are missing the R&D costs, 

If you look at Seytonic he pushes (or sells) Malduino but the Malduino uses DuckyScript as it's language. 

Who invented DuckyScript . Hak5 , 

OKay so it's not massively hard to come up with a new simple scripting language or even using the Malduino for USB automation, but no one else did it in a small easy to use package. 

That's what Hak5 brings, ease of use and some resemblance of support (I say resemblance as most of the support is from the community so it's hit or miss) . Sure you can do a lot of the pineapple stuff via a Linux OS with your network cards in Promiscuous mode but the Pineapples just give you a nice small package which to carry out your engagement. 

Seytonic is great and his guides are awesome for those with less cash, but lots of Hak5 customers are businesses/Govt agencies or just people with a passion for security who don't mind paying a little extra for the community. 

Hak5 if anything has been a bit of victim of its success and its customer base grew massively over the last few years (pineapple5 onwards) and it seems only now the dev team is beginning to catch up to cope with that larger customer expectation. Bringing Seb was a good start back at the start of Pineapple5, but he and Darren have always been swamped. For example almost 2 weeks after the source for Kracked was leaked (openly available) which is the biggest thing to happen to WIFI in about 10 years , The pineapples still haven't got modules/new firmware (in fact while I'm on it the firmware is over a year old)

Lets hope with the larger Dev team things get better.

Edited by zoro25

8 hours ago, zoro25 said:

I think you guys are missing the R&D costs, 

If you look at Seytonic he pushes (or sells) Malduino but the Malduino uses DuckyScript as it's language. 

Who invented DuckyScript . Hak5 , 

OKay so it's not massively hard to come up with a new simple scripting language or even using the Malduino for USB automation, but no one else did it in a small easy to use package. 

That's what Hak5 brings, ease of use and some resemblance of support (I say resemblance as most of the support is from the community so it's hit or miss) . Sure you can do a lot of the pineapple stuff via a Linux OS with your network cards in Promiscuous mode but the Pineapples just give you a nice small package which to carry out your engagement. 

Seytonic is great and his guides are awesome for those with less cash, but lots of Hak5 customers are businesses/Govt agencies or just people with a passion for security who don't mind paying a little extra for the community. 

Hak5 if anything has been a bit of victim of its success and its customer base grew massively over the last few years (pineapple5 onwards) and it seems only now the dev team is beginning to catch up to cope with that larger customer expectation. Bringing Seb was a good start back at the start of Pineapple5, but he and Darren have always been swamped. For example almost 2 weeks after the source for Kracked was leaked (openly available) which is the biggest thing to happen to WIFI in about 10 years , The pineapples still haven't got modules/new firmware (in fact while I'm on it the firmware is over a year old)

Lets hope with the larger Dev team things get better.

I don't really pay much attention to their products, but if the Ducky is the USB hid thing, then it was not invented by the team. The modified USB stick that predates it was largely developed by a very active community, when there was still one here. Sure the idea has been turned into a more professional product, also if you want small in the case of network related tools, there are a wide array of OpenWRT supported devices or use a rPi.

I'm not pissing on their achievements, they have grown a company out of a low budget podcast/webtv show, thats hard work. Their prices aren't even bad, as traditionally this type of stuff reflects the value it adds and being many more times expensive.

I tend to think of Hak5 as a company pushing products with their shows simply advertising. 

The prices wouldn’t be to bad at all if the price was equivalent to the U.S price.

£125 = $164!

$100 = £76

even if you buy direct from hak5, by the time you have have paid postage, import tax and VAT. The price is nearly double.

Edited by biob

An like I said in a previous post... why don’t they create another channel with all their product goodness( Hak5 university?).

they could still advertise and do small segments about for the products on the Hak5 channel, but the more in-depth stuff could be done on the new channel. Hak5 + Hak5 University = increase revenue.

9 hours ago, biob said:

An like I said in a previous post... why don’t they create another channel with all their product goodness( Hak5 university?).

they could still advertise and do small segments about for the products on the Hak5 channel, but the more in-depth stuff could be done on the new channel. Hak5 + Hak5 University = increase revenue.

Having 2 channels doesn't instantly mean increased revenue. What it really means is managing 2 different channels vs just 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking to one my coworkers/client about this.

He enjoyed the virtualisation segments. These days I am little over with the current Hak5 gear content

Secondly how you do a show without Darren or replacement person to step-in person when darren is away travelling

Having 2 channels doesn't instantly mean increased revenue. What it really means is managing 2 different channels vs just 1.

Especially with the current youtube climate revenue is lower and content is being flaged as demonetised 

56 minutes ago, Jtyle6 said:

Technically there is a 2nd channel (TekThing) but that is totally a different show.

Shannon does a great job on Tekthing. However the show frequency, preproduction, research and travel have meant Hak5 the show that created the gear has suffered.