External Battery PSU

PaulK

From www.wifipineapple.com:

Flexible power options. Variable voltages for operation from 5v - 12v sources

I reckon you'd be fine with 12 volt then. Also, the new pineapplejuice battery is 12 volts... I would not recommend plugging it in in the car cigarette lighter however. As anode pointed out in another thread:

When the car is running the voltage should be 13.8-14 VDC.

lead acid batteries get charged with a higher voltage.

And boosted240 recommended this device for that purpose:

HI guys,

I recently bought the Ankar Astor Pro2 External Battery for use with my Mk IV, but now I have a Mk V I'm wondering if it's no good. The Ankar put out 5,12 16 & 19v but not 9v like the included PSU.

Will 12v fry my unit? Is there a way I can step it down simply? Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Paul

Paul i would be careful that battery has several settings 12v 16v and 19v just make sure it is on 12 any other voltage may/will fry you pineapple.

Edited by mreidiv

From www.wifipineapple.com:

Flexible power options. Variable voltages for operation from 5v - 12v sources

I reckon you'd be fine with 12 volt then. Also, the new pineapplejuice battery is 12 volts... I would not recommend plugging it in in the car cigarette lighter however. As anode pointed out in another thread:

And boosted240 recommended this device for that purpose:

Well you can pop open the device and check out the voltage regulator and look up its specs. Its probably good to 18-24 vdc. They typically have more probs when its a 5VDC regulator and you are feeding it less then say 7vdc. (LDO versions, Low Drop Outs help with this, which is probably why the IV had 'power issues' on 5VDC)

I ran mine off the original pineapple juice pack for about 4 hours before the power got too low for it to run. Not too shabby.

I was impressed by the old 4 hour pineapple juices, but once I started testing the current crop of samples from our new guys.... OMG these 12v suckers go for days. Literally.

I was impressed by the old 4 hour pineapple juices, but once I started testing the current crop of samples from our new guys.... OMG these 12v suckers go for days. Literally.

Is that something attributed to differences between the new battery packs and Anker batteries? My anker 10000mah gets eaten alive on the 12v output setting. I'm talking full charge to down an entire bar easily within 30 minutes or so.

Is that something attributed to differences between the new battery packs and Anker batteries? My anker 10000mah gets eaten alive on the 12v output setting. I'm talking full charge to down an entire bar easily within 30 minutes or so.

You got a bad Anker.

I ran the MKIV with my Anker 10000mAh on 12v and it would run for 12 hours, easy. I never ran it down to the bottom, but it would run seemingly endlessly.

I'd return that Anker and get a new one.

You got a bad Anker.

I ran the MKIV with my Anker 10000mAh on 12v and it would run for 12 hours, easy. I never ran it down to the bottom, but it would run seemingly endlessly.

I'd return that Anker and get a new one.

Yes - my IV and r-pi both run forever on it. The V though - different story.

Any thoughts on running on sealed lead-acid batteries? I'm not a very electrical guy, but will it survive a 12v 4.5Ah battery. Or is that too much juice? I have a good connection through my work for them and was curious for long term deployment as they go all the way to 12Ah at work.

• 4 weeks later...

My question is along the same lines so I will revive this. Lots of 12v batteries that I have tested (alarm batteries, kids jeep batteries, marine batteries etc..) start out at 14v fully charged. it quickly settles down to 12.5 within an hour.

I saw on an episode that Darren mentioned hiding one in a newspaper box (or something like that) with a car battery attached and have it run for days. I'm not sure if that was an off the cuff remark or it has been tried.

Is 12v a strict limit or just within the safe zone?

Uhh..... :(

I bought a 1300mAh Lead-Acid 12v battery with pre-made DC connector with alligator clips (to connect the battery) and when I connected it the magic smoke escaped the Pineapple. :(

I know this battery would not last to long with the pineapple at load with clients attached, but I got a small battery just to test with. I told the guy at the electronics store the exact requirements for the pineapple (5-12v @ ~1amp) and he recommended a battery (see below). The pineapple will no longer power up on it's normal DC supply :(((

Here is the battery: http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/SB2480.pdf

The clips i used to connect it: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WC6014

What have I done wrong here?

Edited by Geekmason

My travel battery was doing 12.6v w/no load. I was doing some amp draw testing yesterday, to get an idea what the Pineapple was using w/the 3rd radio. I didn't get a chance to finish, but the boot process started at 180mA, and settled around 350-400mA after the Alfa turned on.

I was powering the Pineapple with a 12v source while testing.

What did you use to measure the draw?

It would save me a whole lot of time testing batteries if I knew the base milliamperes of the pineapple.

I have various batteries that I am trying out and cannot even get close to 72hrs runtime.

I just found this calculator that helps me out a bit.

http://ncalculators.com/electrical/battery-life-calculator.htm

Ha, I was using that online calculator yesterday. I am just using a multi-meter to do amp draw. I need to finish up. (test under load)

I don't know what the Alfa is adding, but its got to be a lot. I only get about 12hrs out of my travel Pineapple juice battery at mostly idle.

I'll see if I can do some more testing today, without the Alfa.

I cant tell from the link but are you sure your alligator clip wire is center positive?

Do you have an volt/ohm meter?

I am travelling at the moment and don't have my multimeter with me. But it I don't recall ever seeing a DC plug in Australia that is the other way around. I have checked all the plug packs i have with me at the moment and they are all centre positive.

But it I don't recall ever seeing a DC plug in Australia that is the other way around. I have checked all the plug packs i have with me at the moment and they are all centre positive.

I'm not saying that's it for sure, just somewhere to start.

Australian Store

http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/power-adapters/2689-5v-dc-1-amp-power-pack-center-negative.html

Edited by yabasoya

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not saying that's it for sure, just somewhere to start.

Australian Store

http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/power-adapters/2689-5v-dc-1-amp-power-pack-center-negative.html

Final Update: Yes it was indeed centre negative. I spoke to some (more) knowledgeable local tech friends and they tell me it is highly unusual, but centre negative is somewhat standardised for use in charging batteries on board RC toys etc.

I obtained a replacement pineapple board and am back in business. I'll revisit battery powering my pineapple a little ways down the track.