Kali Linux

Mad Pierre

No need to thank me. THANK the team who made it. I just got lucky posting it first on here. <_<

Actually, we let that cat out of the bag a bit early last month and I got scolded for it..lol...sorry to burst your bubble.

Yeah. That was fun.

All the time working with them on the site and artwork, and I still haven't even had a chance to download the final release and play with it. I had the bare bones, no tools shell just for working on the icons and wallpapers, etc. Contemplating on wiping the laptop to put it on here, but I finally just got sound working on this damn thing in BT5 and copied my 20GB music collection over after hex editing VLC to run as root...so might just wait till I can load it in a VM. Most likely though, this laptop is going to get wiped anyway and go back to win7 and just run VMware and get a new USB wifi card for it.

All the time working with them on the site and artwork, and I still haven't even had a chance to download the final release and play with it. I had the bare bones, no tools shell just for working on the icons and wallpapers, etc. Contemplating on wiping the laptop to put it on here, but I finally just got sound working on this damn thing in BT5 and copied my 20GB music collection over after hex editing VLC to run as root...so might just wait till I can load it in a VM. Most likely though, this laptop is going to get wiped anyway and go back to win7 and just run VMware and get a new USB wifi card for it.

Haha I'm in the exact same boat...I did all of Darren's battery/ssd hacks featured recently, plus all the hex editing for vlc, chrome, etc. Plus the time spent copying over rainbow tables and dictionaries and music. I don't know if I can handle wiping away hours of configuration! Arg

telot

Haha I'm in the exact same boat...I did all of Darren's battery/ssd hacks featured recently, plus all the hex editing for vlc, chrome, etc. Plus the time spent copying over rainbow tables and dictionaries and music. I don't know if I can handle wiping away hours of configuration! Arg

telot

Yeah, the one reason I need to wipe it though, is the HDD is somewhat bad, since the day I bought the laptop. I had issues with it from day one, and it locks up frequently. Its been formatted a number of times already, and I think once the HDD finally goes completely, I'll go back to Win7pro64bit, and just put VMware back on it and get a nice Atheros card. The built in one works great, but wont work with Vmware, and will require a USB dongle to get wifi in VMware. Would be nice if they one day supported native wifi with Vmware.

I just picked up a new 802.11ac router and two nics, but for some reason, does not work with Windows 7 on the wifes laptop. I didn't bother to even open the second one to try it on my desktop, and I'm fairly certain linux has yet to put out a kernel for 802.11ac adapters, but if Kali supports it(will have to get a Vm up and running to see) then that would be pretty sweet since its supposted to be 3 times as fast as 802.11n. On the upside, the new router is much more stable with wifi devices and wired in the house now plus has the capabilities to set the power output on the router itself from 80 to 200watts, so I can crush the neighbors wifi that kept interfering with our old router who could only do b/g/n mixed mode at 2.4, of N only at 2.4 only or 5ghz only. With the new one, there are 3 radios, and I can do both 2.4 and 5Ghz at the same time for both N on each frequency with no issues, so no longer have to worry about devices in the home that can't do 5ghz while others could.

Still want to benchmark and test the 802.11ac but I think I will have to find better NIC's. THe ones I bought were Netgear, and for whatever reason Win7 wouldn not see the device at all when plugged in. It would make that USB sound, then say not found, and I tried both just the driver alone install, and the full utility install, so kind of pissed on the money loss there. Might be something for me to trouble shoot and mess with but after an hour of fiddling I got too tired to f with it any further.

Edited by digip

My Backtrack laptop, Hp Compaq 6910p had issues installing Kali from the DVD. It would install, but on first boot the installed ATI drivers would hang. I ended up having to set up the network installer on my pxe server to get it to boot. Then I found none of the Kali packages installed with that install. Had to go to the package manager to install them. After that, it's pretty sweet. The disks work just fine with my Hp mini and an old ass Toshiba convertible laptop though.

My Backtrack laptop, Hp Compaq 6910p had issues installing Kali from the DVD. It would install, but on first boot the installed ATI drivers would hang. I ended up having to set up the network installer on my pxe server to get it to boot. Then I found none of the Kali packages installed with that install. Had to go to the package manager to install them. After that, it's pretty sweet. The disks work just fine with my Hp mini and an old ass Toshiba convertible laptop though.

Sounds like the same ATI problem that was in the old BT5. I know a lot of people had issues with it at one point on ATI cards, where the install would go through, but after a reboot, blank screens or fuzzy lines. Was a fix for it on the bt forums to change settings on the grub boot config.

Here were some older issues users faced as well, which I am sure will come in handy for others with similar issues:

http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/tutorial/bt4r2-vm-wallpaper-fix/

This was one of the issues with KDE X64 - http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/tutorial/backtrack-5-kde-x64-vmware-install-instructions/

and there was another for Gnome that was to do with ATI cards specifically native installs and changing the grub boot parameters to make the screen load properly due to signed driver issues, but I don't have the link handy.

Sounds like the same ATI problem that was in the old BT5. I know a lot of people had issues with it at one point on ATI cards, where the install would go through, but after a reboot, blank screens or fuzzy lines. Was a fix for it on the bt forums to change settings on the grub boot config.

Here were some older issues users faced as well, which I am sure will come in handy for others with similar issues:

http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/tutorial/bt4r2-vm-wallpaper-fix/

This was one of the issues with KDE X64 - http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/tutorial/backtrack-5-kde-x64-vmware-install-instructions/

and there was another for Gnome that was to do with ATI cards specifically native installs and changing the grub boot parameters to make the screen load properly due to signed driver issues, but I don't have the link handy.

Oh, one thing you forgot to draw up was CD labels! Some of us still use those archaic things, when they work...

Oh, one thing you forgot to draw up was CD labels! Some of us still use those archaic things, when they work...

I absolutely can if you want one.

Do you guys have a link to the Red and Black dragon wallpaper? I cant find it :(

-Foxtrot

Old BT5 wallpapers or new Kali wallpapers? I can zip up all the colors of the old one for you if you want them. I have them(made them)all for last BT5 release.

The new Kali one, kinda looks like they are out of diamond shapes :)

I didn't make that one.

Do you know who did digip?

Honestly, I don't know who made the diamond background(nor have I seen it). Mati has a whole team of ninjas at his disposal, many of whom are unknown o.O

Yeah, we made a bunch of different wallapapers for kali. I've yet to see whats officially on the desktop yet. The diamond one I think was for the blog, but I haven't downloaded final version yet. Just been too busy. I did the icons and artwork for the website and new logo though, for kali.org, docs.kali.org, bugs, grub splash screen, etc. Guess I should get a VM up at least and see whats what...lol Edited by digip

No problemo. May end up being the official DVD label. I checked with Mati to make sure it was ok to keep it up, since there are trademark and copyright restrictions as to how the logos can be used and such, but he said it was fine and liked it, so will leave the link up for others if they want to print a copy for themselves.