Kali Linux

Mad Pierre

@digip

Ok so im a noob, but i tried DL ing the vm image form the site and when i open it win winrar it says it is corrupt. I am using win7 pro i know it is in a tar format but i have never had a problem opening one in windows before with winrar is there a vm image in zip format or rar? also i tried DLing it several times.

I just logged in to see what you guys thought of Kali :)

It's so ironic --> I finally found an actual business reason to need Backtrack (or at least metasploit) but it was blocked by the evil company firewall and it takes like a week to given have them consider unblocking it.... but no one thought to block Kali :) !!

I like the updates except for the name. They should've just called it BT6 in my humble opinion, but it's just a name I guess. I love that WiCD has fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally been replaced by NetworkManager!!! It never made sense for an Wireless Pen Testing platform to lack a half decent network adapter (they were on crack the day they picked WiCD). You can even use a VPN without learning a long workaround from Darren!

On a related note, I need to open a thread on how to do a special keylogger with the version of Metasploit found in Kali... help me out bros!

Edited by whitehat

@digip

Ok so im a noob, but i tried DL ing the vm image form the site and when i open it win winrar it says it is corrupt. I am using win7 pro i know it is in a tar format but i have never had a problem opening one in windows before with winrar is there a vm image in zip format or rar? also i tried DLing it several times.

Im not customer service for Kali.org, but if the download(is a tar) and doesn't open, its most likely incomplete or corrupted.

Make sure the file you downloaded, has a proper matching hash - http://docs.kali.org/downloading/download-official-kali-linux-images

direct downloads - Cdimage.kali.org

If winrar doesn't work, try 7zip.

Personally, I'd download an ISO, and do a manual install in Vmware on my own.

Edited by digip

Im not customer service for Kali.org, but if the download(is a tar) and doesn't open, its most likely incomplete or corrupted.

Make sure the file you downloaded, has a proper matching hash - http://docs.kali.org/downloading/download-official-kali-linux-images

direct downloads - Cdimage.kali.org

If winrar doesn't work, try 7zip.

Personally, I'd download an ISO, and do a manual install in Vmware on my own.

ok thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else had the issue; but check your MD5... you will get a really screwy install that will lock up your bootloader. I downloaded it from source three seperate times and didn't check the md5 the first two attempted installs.

Secondly, not to be the "where is the tool that..." guy; but why isn't geoiplookup available off hand? Still can't get the city feature to work, but I am sure I will resolve it eventually.