Hak5 Set Webcam. Shooting today

Darren Kitchen

We're shooting today and thought it might be fun to beta test the hakcam. It's currently pointed at the set and if things go smoothly we'll make it a permanent fixture.

Right now it's a laptop and logitech orbital webcam running xp and dorgem, with a refresh of 5 SPF and a page with a meta refresh of 5 secs. If you've got suggestions for better solutions post em here.

Anyway, the webcam can be found here:

http://www.hak5.org/hakcam/

Or, hehehe, looky looky:

cam.jpg

Gotta love that trick

Feedback would be great.

It'll go on throughout the day. thats the best I can give ya. we've got a guest coming on for a segment at 1:00 PM Eastern. Not sure if you know how we shoot but it's a pretty loose process.

Oh, and there's nobody on the cam because my butt hasnt left my desk. Speaking of which, that set looks horrid. I should clean up before the guest arrives.

18.24 KB (approximently) per picture, every five seconds for a minute would equal 218.88 KB a minute/13,132.8 MB an hour, per person.

Assuming that about 10 people have the feed open, that's 131,328 MB an hour. And let's say we all watched/kept open the feed for four hours, we're looking at 656,640 MB total. Not too bad when considering the increadibly fast connection they pay for.

And I have no idea why I just computed all of that. Maybe it's because I'm doing my statistics homework at the moment. I need a life/girlfriend/something.

Is that clock in the background broken? Because I've checked in twice now, hours apart, and it's said 5:55 both times, I think, and I havn't been able to catch anyone on the camera yet. Or am I just getting the same frame refreshed over and over?