Permanent move to the US

metatron

Yesterday I got a good job offer for a research position in the Cambridge (MA) area of the US, so after checking my calendar to work out how much holiday I have accrued, I worked out I had enough to cover my notice and accepted the Job offer, so I will be making the permanent move to the US on the 12th and looking for a house.

Now I have to get rid of all my shit and I put my house up for sale today.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a _TON_ of paperwork that you have to go through before you can even try to emigrate somewhere?

A friend of mine went to Australia with his wife and newborn twins. He was pushing paper for 3 months just to get our own government to accept his departure.

And Australia was apparently being a bit of a pain with them going in aswell. Main reason they succeeded was that he had just gotten his doctorate (I think that's the correct term) in wafer stepper technology. Apparently there aren't a lot of people on this planet who can really grok that stuff.

Four of my racks belonged to the company I worked for and where sent back today so I only have about four and a half racks of computer related equipment and I have sold them to a friend who owns a small hosting company, other then that I have 10 PC’s, 8 Mac’s, 6 thin clients, 3 plasma TVs, 26 laptops (some new, most old), a shit load of audio equipment and loads of random equipment. I will wipe any equipment that needs it and sell what I can and give the rest away to family and friends.

I’m in the process of wiping equipment tonight and I will stick Windows on all the machines tomorrow, then take them to a shop I know that sells and buys computer equipment, so I’m pretty sure I will be able to sell everything in one go, as he sounded interested on the phone today.

As for the rest of my stuff well one of my brothers is interested in setting up a home theatre and I said I’d give him a good deal and everything else left over will be given to my little brother so he can sell it on eBay. The only equipment I’m giving away to friends are my high end IBM and Sun workstations as my family will have no idea how to use them and I will never get a good price.

I’m giving all my furnisher and cheap crap to some random charity that said they can come round with a van to pick it up Thursday.

Thanks. I worked for a defence contractor in the US for a little over 2 years about 4 years back, so it’s not a huge change, the only difference is I will be living in one place instead of moving around and I will be settling down permanently.

I’m not an emotional person so I don’t really miss people and if I want to speak to a friend or family I can just call them.

I have 10 PC’s, 8 Mac’s, 6 thin clients, 3 plasma TVs, 26 laptops (some new, most old), a shit load of audio equipment and loads of random equipment.

WOW!

and i'm trying to find enough money for 1 computer that i can do 3D CAD work on.

I have 10 PC’s, 8 Mac’s, 6 thin clients, 3 plasma TVs, 26 laptops (some new, most old), a shit load of audio equipment and loads of random equipment.

WOW!

and i'm trying to find enough money for 1 computer that i can do 3D CAD work on.

This is a guy who probably spends most/all of his money on it though, so it's understandable that he'd have a lot of stuff.

I currently spend about 12 to 16 hours a day on a computer and I want to cut back and have more time for other things out side of work, which is the main reason for the move and new job. When you spend most of your time doing something you really don’t think about the cost as most of the equipment, makes it’s money back in a month.