Permanent move to the US

metatron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would sooner not say but it’s one of the top two employers in the area.

(It’s not UMASS)

I said I couldn’t start for a few weeks so the only reason I’m going this early is to find a place and get settled in before I start.

i once wanted to move US but after lots of thought i decided that it would be kind of wierd as it is soooo big and like the town you are in is either reallllllllly busy (like london) or no one barly around if you get me i jsut like it in the middle not to many people around but a bit busy :P :ninja:

Well good for you! What are you going to be doing btw?

They do a number of commercial projects and I will be helping to come up with future ideas and help with existing and future, commercial and non-commercial projects.

i once wanted to move US but after lots of thought i decided that it would be kind of wierd as it is soooo big and like the town you are in is either reallllllllly busy (like london) or no one barly around if you get me i jsut like it in the middle not to many people around but a bit busy :P :ninja:

I live in London at the moment and I have worked in a number of different countries and you get use to it.

They do a number of commercial projects and I will be helping to come up with future ideas and help with existing and future, commercial and non-commercial projects.

Projects? Computer related I'm assuming, or some other stuff like film?

Projects? Computer related I'm assuming, or some other stuff like film?

Yeah, computer related.

• 2 weeks later...
I can see it now, you power up your new super house and the entire state has a brown out lol. Thats a damn nice pad by the looks of it though.

I’ve only been in my new place for a few days so all I’ve done is order furniture, find some free WIFI and arrange to have cable TV and internet installed.

I’m going to be running CAT6 and Fibre but I’m only going to build myself what I need, which is two high-end boxes (quad Opteron’s), three good boxes (dual Opteron’s) and buy a Mac Pro, a HP laptop, 10 HP thin clients, 14 LCD displays, 6 Cisco 7961G IP Phone, a Cisco Catalyst 4900 series switch and that’s pretty much it (a lot of the equipment will be rack mounted in my new home office).

I have a little over a week to get a lot of stuff out the way, as once I’m at work I will be limited to weekends and evenings as I don’t have the option to work from home like my last job and I don’t want to eat up to much of my spare time installing equipment.

If that's where I think it is it's at least $500,000 +

My last house was in Richmond (London), so it was a lot less then my last place.

(The average price for a detached house in the UK is $567,573.)

...I’m only going to build myself what I need, which is two high-end boxes (quad Opteron’s), three good boxes (dual Opteron’s) and buy a Mac Pro, a HP laptop, 10 HP thin clients, 14 LCD displays, 6 Cisco 7961G IP Phone, a Cisco Catalyst 4900 series switches and that’s pretty much it (a lot of the equipment will be rack mounted in my new home office).

Did you ever work for Defence Procurement? ;-)

Looking good, I'm liking the blue.

Thanks, I bought myself a Dodge RAM 3500 (quad cab) a few days ago so I will have to stick up a few pictures.

I think its always fun to install everything you want from scratch, you don't repeat errors that you did last time.

Yeah I enjoy it, but I went a little over the top in my last house and some of that equipment was rarely used, so I’m sticking to what I need.

Yeah I enjoy it, but I went a little over the top in my last house and some of equipment that was rarely used, so I’m sticking to what I need.

You say that now, but wait untill you want a $10,000 projector :P

Speaking of money, have you had the bank transfer your money to an American bank or are you keeping the English bank acount so you can say you have a "off shore bank acount"? :P

Yeah I enjoy it, but I went a little over the top in my last house and some of equipment that was rarely used, so I’m sticking to what I need.

You say that now, but wait untill you want a $10,000 projector :P

Speaking of money, have you had the bank transfer your money to an American bank or are you keeping the English bank acount so you can say you have a "off shore bank acount"? :P

LOL, yeah I could see that happening but I going out latter to buy a Philips 50" HD plasma TV, Xbox360 and DVD player at Target so I’m sure that will cover my TV needs.

Yeah I enjoy it, but I went a little over the top in my last house and some of that equipment was rarely used, so I’m sticking to what I need.

You need 10 thing clients and 14 lcd's??? heh... nice :lol:

Are you in Cambridge or you on the outskirts?