Motorcycle Driver Charged For Recording

Darren Kitchen

http://www.abc2news.com/mediacenter/local....amp;navCatId=14

It seems in Baltimore it's illegal to record someone with audio without their consent. It also seems that off duty officers can bolt at you with a gun.

Dude faces up to 5 years in prison. Cops even seized his computers and cameras. WTF.

Edit: Found the actual video:

and writeup http://www.popehat.com/2010/04/14/embarras...-years-in-jail/

/via @joeuser47

Its odd in the UK, you can stand outside Downing Street or Parliment with a camera phone all day and not get any trouble. But if you turn up with an SLR and a tripod, you suddenly have issues.

watchign the ABC video, it was obvious his camera was visible and the officer could have asked if he was recording. Not to mention, consent of the public is one thing, but cops drive with video/audio going in their cruizers, so the kid could argue that not just his camera recorded the scene, but the car that pulled up behind him(which was a cop car) would have had the incident recorded as well, so the officer knew that his actions would have been recorded. I dont know id its a requirement in Baltimore, but in most states cop cars have to record their traffic stops for evidence, whether to save their own ass, or to document abuse on their end.

http://www.abc2news.com/mediacenter/local....amp;navCatId=14

It seems in Baltimore it's illegal to record someone with audio without their consent. It also seems that off duty officers can bolt at you with a gun.

Dude faces up to 5 years in prison. Cops even seized his computers and cameras. WTF.

Edit: Found the actual video:

and writeup http://www.popehat.com/2010/04/14/embarras...-years-in-jail/

/via @joeuser47

So how are you going to deal with this issue when, doing your Hack Across America journey?

Tiny camera = no one knows?

But if you luck runs out, and if the pigs decide to do a throughout search, how's it gonna be?

Edited by Infiltrator

Its odd in the UK, you can stand outside Downing Street or Parliment with a camera phone all day and not get any trouble. But if you turn up with an SLR and a tripod, you suddenly have issues.

I didn't have any problems in front of Parliament with my DSLR. That reminds me, I haven't uploaded any pics from that trip. Oops.

Maybe get this made into a small sticker for my helmet:

warning_security_camera_cctv_operation_s

It would be hilarious to see the cops expression.

Edited by Infiltrator

I didn't have any problems in front of Parliament with my DSLR. That reminds me, I haven't uploaded any pics from that trip. Oops.

That's because it's actually fine. People were under the impression for a while it wasn't. It turns out its because a few coppers were making up the rules as they went and searching people taking pics with cameras. But it's actually not against the law and officers were reminded of this a while ago. Hence you weren't searched or stopped.

Also, they were tending to target a certain minority group, people they think could potentially be terrorists.

Regarding the original post. This is why I'm glad our cops don't carry guns, apart from the armed response unit.

This is as bad as the copper in New York I believe it was, that pulled a gun at a mass snowball fight :)

That's because it's actually fine. People were under the impression for a while it wasn't. It turns out its because a few coppers were making up the rules as they went and searching people taking pics with cameras. But it's actually not against the law and officers were reminded of this a while ago. Hence you weren't searched or stopped.

Also, they were tending to target a certain minority group, people they think could potentially be terrorists.

Regarding the original post. This is why I'm glad our cops don't carry guns, apart from the armed response unit.

This is as bad as the copper in New York I believe it was, that pulled a gun at a mass snowball fight :)

That's the United States my friend.