hak5 torrent

livinginfear

It perfectly legal to share Hak5, as its a creative commons share and sharea like license for the show. Anyone can make a torrent of the show, and if anything, its encouraged.

It perfectly legal to share Hak5, as its a creative commons share and sharea like license for the show. Anyone can make a torrent of the show, and if anything, its encouraged.

I thought it wasn't encouraged for the same reason why Hak5 never originally offered a torrent. It's because they don't get any metrics from the torrent for the number of individual downloads, metrics like that is what the sponsors and advertisers want to see before they hand over the money.

Don't know how things have changed since the switch to Revision3 through, but that was the stance for the first couple of seasons. Of course there is nothing wrong/illegal with torrenting it in that sense as you said its CC, just the crew preferred if you didn't.

Perhaps a current member would clarify what the current Hak5 stance on torrents of the show is?

I thought it wasn't encouraged for the same reason why Hak5 never originally offered a torrent. It's because they don't get any metrics from the torrent for the number of individual downloads, metrics like that is what the sponsors and advertisers want to see before they hand over the money.

Don't know how things have changed since the switch to Revision3 through, but that was the stance for the first couple of seasons. Of course there is nothing wrong/illegal with torrenting it in that sense as you said its CC, just the crew preferred if you didn't.

Perhaps a current member would clarify what the current Hak5 stance on torrents of the show is?

Last time I checked, torrents show how many times a file has been downlaoded. At least, when I see stuff in uTorrent, it says how many times the file has been downloaded. There have been torrents of the show over the years, including the DVD, and the show uses a share and share alike license. I never heard anyone say NOT to torrent the show, so clarification on that would be nice, but I can't forsee it being an issue when there are plenty of sites already sharing and torrenting the show on their own. 5 seasons in and I don't think anyone has ever tried to block a torrent in all those years.

I don't know about the metrics that you can get from the torrent trackers, whether they are insufficient or just unreliable, downloads of .torrent files don't equate to downloads of the whole show.

I can't remember perfectly, but I don't think the DVD had any advertising in it, which freed up to be torrented, also because of the size the bandwidth bill would have been horrible over the short term.

I'm sure there are many places with torrents up of the show and there's nothing wrong with it, especially if it brings in new viewers, I was just always under the assumption that to help with the metrics it was preferred not to torrent them.

If you can I'm sure Rev3 would like you to get it from an official feed. This allows the advertisers to know how many eyeballs they're getting and in return how much they should pay Rev3/Hak5 for advertising.

I'm sure they're flattered that you feel it's worth a torrent, but it really has an impact on income.

The Creative Commons license as I understand it is intended to allow/encourage derivative works - not necessarily the original work. Hak5 and Rev3 probably wouldn't go after you (and don't expect a magic all seeing eye to magically count the downloads and pay accordingly - this isn't Canada.)

The show is released under a creative commons Non-Commercial, Share Alike, Attribution license. What that means is you're free to share it as long as you're not profiting off it. You can remix it as long as your derivative work is released under the same license, and you are required to attribute Hak5.org. That's all :)

As far as our concern with numbers and all that jazz, basically we only get paid for an episode's first 4 week numbers. Yeah, I know, that kinda blows seeing as how the long tail works and all (50% views in 4 weeks, the rest over the course of months longer) -- but hey thats how the business works and I'm not complaining.

I think torrents are really most effective when dealing with large files, such as season compilations like those hosted at TPB or kacomps.

So in short, we do encourage 'em but we'd prefer not to see torrents of the episodes within the first 4 weeks of them airing.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, iTunes downloads are included.

• 9 months later...

As far as the torrents hosted on my site kacomps.com, I contacted Darren about this before creating the site. If you've watched Season 5 Episode 4, you'll notice that Hak.5 even gave a shout out to me and put my site up on the screen. I respect what Darren and the crew do. I've been following them since Season 1 Episode 1 (1x01). I've downloaded a copy of every episode in the formats listed on the site. I also wait until a season is 8 episodes in before releasing the previous season. As far as tracking the torrents, I now have a tracker running to keep metrics. As far as the advertising on the bottom of the site, that's strictly my choice. As I'm sure Darren and everyone else knows, running a server and seed boxes isn't cheap.

If Darren, Rev3, or any of the Hak.5 crew have any issues with the torrents being created or hosted on my site, they are free to contact me with a removal request which will be promptly acknowledged. I only did this so that fans would have a one-stop-shop for getting the episodes instead of downloading them one-by-one.

So please, if you want to complain about my site and the service I'm offering, contact me directly. My info is at the bottom of the website.

Edited by secret52