I Hate to Profile... but Damn

Learnaseyego

We all profile. Its like masturbation. Everyone does it, but no one wants to admit it. Well, most people don't anyways.

Shit, I'm in Law Enforcement and I'm always profiling. Being in uniform, I get people approaching me all the time for simple things like directions. Race, language, clothing, body language, tattoos, jewelery, etc..you'd better believe I take all of that into consideration when I'm dealing with someone. I treat everyone with respect and courteousness unless they give me a reason not to, but that doesn't mean I think they are good upstanding citizens.

Don't even think of it as profiling. Think of it as risk assessment. You saw four guys all get out and approach you. Does it really take four guys to ask directions? Wouldn't the average person know that approaching you in that way would make you nervous? If someone did that to me while I was on duty, I'd be nervous myself and you'd bet I'd have two or three of them go sit their butts back in the car. You were all alone in a rural area where no one could hear your cries for help, or respond to a 911 call quickly. The fact that they may have been Arab make it an extraordinary situation because it isn't what you would classify as an everyday situation. They're more of a minority in the US than other groups, so that would tweak your curiosity more so that if it was just 4 white guys.

Maybe they weren't aware that doing that here would make someone nervous. They come from a different culture. Thats fine. No harm was done, but you did nothing wrong by feeling a bit threatened.

Thanks Kyle2.0 for seeing this post for what it is. It was simply a story that I found to be odd and I thought I would share it with my fellow Hak5ers

Also thanks to Mnemonic and Zimmer for your posts and good points as well

This is furthermore solidified when the OP says they'll get his/her gun so he/she doesn't end up as a report on CNN. I have a feeling the OP will say, "No, I didn't think they were terrorists, but obviously you [me] did!," but there's no way to prove that. To set the record straight, I don't they they were terrorists. I think the OP did and was tying to rally like minded people.

Your right nullArray... only terrorists can hurt us... we don't need any form a of protection to guard ourselves from anyone else. :rolleyes: <<----- sarcasm

Any joe shmo walking down a street can be dangerous... Had it been a car with four people in that looked just like you I would have done the same thing, because as you continue to prove with each of your post... any body can be crazy.

To everyone else I am sorry for the triple post... I am very tired and I didn't even realize I was doing it. lol

The reason the guy inched closer to you is because in arabic culture, that's what they do in conversation. Americans usually keep some distance between eachother, but in arabic culture, it's the opposite. They feel more comfortable when they are closer to people when they're talking to them. That's all that it was.

As for all four of them getting out of the car, It might have been their way of saying "we've got nothing to hide", but it's only a guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_...ts_of_etiquette

If four big dudes drove up to me and all four of them got out profiling their big muscles just to ask me for directions then I would be scared and I would be convinced that they had more plans then just asking me for directions, the point to his post is the same point that I would have and that is that I would react exactly the same as he did

The reason the guy inched closer to you is because in arabic culture, that's what they do in conversation. Americans usually keep some distance between eachother, but in arabic culture, it's the opposite. They feel more comfortable when they are closer to people when they're talking to them. That's all that it was.

As for all four of them getting out of the car, It might have been their way of saying "we've got nothing to hide", but it's only a guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_...ts_of_etiquette

Thanks for the information, that explains a lot.

I had no idea, that's why it freaked me out a bit. (for clarification it would have been the same if they were white, black, glowing green)

Ok... maybe the glowing green would have been a little worse lol

I got scared when four big white guys profiling their big muscles walked up to me and asked me for some change

I'd be afraid that they'd beat me up. I would have definitely given them whatever change I had.

Second if it was Japanese or Sweedish people, there wouldn't be anything interesting here..., but the OP's intention,

(wether intentional or not) was the implication that they were terrorists or something

WTF are you nullArray a damn hall monitor? Yah, Im sick and tired of you calling everyone out on YOUR point of view. It's a damn thread I have been nice but I have about had enough. Everytime someone says something YOU don't like (and most of the time you try relentlessly to read between the lines to find a fake reason) you lash out. Your issues= NOT our problem, go find another thread/post/etc to post something POSITITVE. This is lame. I mean yah, I understand that he stood up for me when you were pissed about my Wii bash thread, and don't get me wrong when I say that the thread could easily be taken WAY out of context, but just chill out man, it's not a point the finger world here, maybe where you are, but not here.

Learnaseyego i gota say ive been there before (not exactly but close enough). i think everyone has been in one of those situations. glad that you made it back to hak5 safely though. one word of advice though never leave the safety of your computer with out being armed to the teeth lol.

and as for all the flaming that ive seen recently i only have one thing to say... i know we don't all live in america but as hackers / information addicts i think we should all be able to agree that freedom of speech is the most important thing there is.

I am not saying that it is right to think that all Middle Eastener's or Islamic's are terrorists but it does come up and I'm not saying that you should use stereotypes but...

The September 11 attacks (often referred to as nine-eleven, written 9/11) were a series of coordinated suicide attacks by al-Qaeda upon the United States on September 11, 2001. On that morning, 19 Islamist terrorists affiliated with al-Qaeda hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners.

With 9/11 if four Arabic guys come up to you, you'll probably be thinking about terrorism (now their probably not but still it will come to mind). And 9/11 did have some Islam religious base (that the hijackers would be martyrs) and

originating with the teachings of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, a 7th century Arab religious and political figure.
<-- Wikipedia So Islam has a lot of Middle East believers and so you would associate that (Arabs) with Islam and Islam with 9/11 and 9/11 with Terrorism.

Thanks a million guys!

Its awesome to see that people who have never even met can find a common ground to stand on.

Thanks to everyone, but I must give an uber-thanks to h3%5kr3w for his "hall monitor" post lol

Nice

I leave you with... Hak5 kicks @$$

Thanks a million guys!

Its awesome to see that people who have never even met can find a common ground to stand on.

Thanks to everyone, but I must give an uber-thanks to h3%5kr3w for his "hall monitor" post lol

Nice

I leave you with... Hak5 kicks @$$

Thanks a million guys!

It's awesome to see that people who have never even met can find a reason to ostracize another for not agreeing with everyone else.

Thanks to everyone, but I must give an über-thanks to h3%5kr3w for his "hall monitor" post which is a clear attack on me for having a different opinion, and this one for doing to the same lol

Nice.

Thanks a million guys!

It's awesome to see that people who have never even met can find a reason to ostracize another for not agreeing with everyone else.

Thanks to everyone, but I must give an über-thanks to h3%5kr3w for his "hall monitor" post which is a clear attack on me for having a different opinion, and this one for doing to the same lol

Nice.

What are you??? 12???

We are not ostracizing you for your opinions, in fact your opinions are welcomed (if respectful) it is about the way you continue to attack others.

Just let it go... count to ten... relax.... woooossssaaawwwww

nullArray, I don't hate you (hell I don't even know you) I just wish that instead of being so offensive all the time, try to add something to the conversation, and I think that's what everyone really means here.

You have posted some very good info about various things in the past, and your definitely part of this community. We just all like to give our opinions about things, and yah, we really do not like negativity toward our thoughts, but there is a difference between saying something that is negative and blatantly aggressive.

nullArray, I don't hate you (hell I don't even know you) I just wish that instead of being so offensive all the time, try to add something to the conversation, and I think that's what everyone really means here.

You have posted some very good info about various things in the past, and your definitely part of this community. We just all like to give our opinions about things, and yah, we really do not like negativity toward our thoughts, but there is a difference between saying something that is negative and blatantly aggressive.

I agree... I have read some other post of his and they were very good.

I really liked the energy drink poll too. I have often wondered if there was something out there with a bit more bite than red bull and now I know.

Anyway...

I vote for a truce

What do you say?