I Hate to Profile... but Damn

Learnaseyego

I have no racist thoughts what so ever, so don't get the wrong idea here.

I was just out shoveling my driveway (I hate snow), when a car pulls up and stops. Now keep in mind from this point on I live in the boonies and I literally have no neighbors, which means no help should I need it. Anyway, when the car stops its no big deal, but then four men climb out. At this point I'm thinking ok, if nothing else... run if you have to, but wait... that's right... there is over a foot of snow in any freaking direction.. son of a.

I see one man holding a paper, one with his hands behind his back and the other two with their arms crossed. The one with the paper starts asking me directions (in an Arabic type accent) . The accent isn't really what got to me I was just like ok, but why do four men need to get out of the car for directions.

I look at the paper and it is a map. I tell him where he is and explain where he needs to go next. He starts to ask some more questions as the others inch closer and about the time (finely) My mastiff (Hank the Tank) comes running out of the barn barking and snapping. I haler at him to stop (in my mind I'm thinking good boy... prepare to attack lol)

At that point everybody but the driver gets back in the car (god bless mastiffs ;) )

After a few more questions the driver gets in the car and takes off about 200 feet then stops.

I'm like forget this I'm going in the house, getting back on Hak5 and sitting snuggly with my Glock 40 before I end up as a special report on CNN haha

It didn't help matters that there has been a lot of robberies going on in the rural areas of my county.

And remember NO racist thoughts... its just a dangerous world

PS... if none of you hear from me again... SOS!

I have a feeling this thread will be locked for containing no useful information nor any real content and being horribly offensive...

I think if a bunch of strangers got out of the car in front of my house asking for directions, I too would be suspicious, regardless of color, race, etc. Especially if I live in the boonies, then what reason did they have for being out there? Where were they trying to go?

I can see someone pulling up and rolling down the window for help, but why do 4 guys need to get out of the car at the same time if they weren't up to something? If anything, stop at a gas station for directions.

What if you were racist and shoot first, ask questions later?

I think if a bunch of strangers got out of the car in front of my house asking for directions, I too would be suspicious, regardless of color, race, etc. Especially if I live in the boonies, then what reason did they have for being out there? Where were they trying to go?

I can see someone pulling up and rolling down the window for help, but why do 4 guys need to get out of the car at the same time if they weren't up to something? If anything, stop at a gas station for directions.

What if you were racist and shoot first, ask questions later?

Thank you...exactly... It was just odd that they all got out... My first thought was they wanted to just stretch their legs or something, but then they all started coming up to me.

They were trying to get somewhere in Ohio... Why they were way way way out in my area looking for an ohio address I have no idea... I live in indiana

I have a feeling this thread will be locked for containing no useful information nor any real content and being horribly offensive...

Nice edit... If you find something as minuscule as this "horribly offensive"... you must live in a freaking bubble.

Take it down a notch big boy... Didn't we already have this talk about what you should do when you come to a thread you don't like or agree with in another one?

Allow me to refresh your memory (I suggest an upgrade by the way)... go to another one

Stop trying to make this something that its not, just because your angry/sad I stood up to you and sided with another Hak5er in another thread.

;) Have a good day!

My only guess as to why they all came to look at the map that the driver was holding was because the driver got them lost in the first place and they figure if they all have a look they will be less likely to get lost in the future.

My only guess as to why they all came to look at the map that the driver was holding was because the driver got them lost in the first place and they figure if they all have a look they will be less likely to get lost in the future.

That's true... maybe when they stopped up the road they changed drivers because the other guy couldn't hardly speak English anyway and I don't know if he even understood half of my directions haha

Four guys lost in a country where they can't speak the language stop to ask for directions from a stereotypical American hick whose first thoughts swing towards terrorism... They probally all got out of the car because together they could better make sense of what you were saying, the idea of personal space isn't as defined in the Arabic world and you have a huge dog, in the Arab word dogs are not seen as pets.

Four guys lost in a country where they can't speak the language stop to ask for directions from a stereotypical American hick whose first thoughts swing towards terrorism... They probally all got out of the car because together they could better make sense of what you were saying, the idea of personal space isn't as defined in the Arabic world and you have a huge dog, in the Arab word dogs are not seen as pets.

Not my fault... this is the USA... it works both ways buddy... I am just as familiar with their ways as they might be with mine... So they and you can both deal with it... As I said in the original post it had nothing to do with their accents or background... there have been some robberies in my area ( as I said in the post) that was the big deal.

Now to cover the stereotypical American part as you call it... I am a proud American... but you seem to be the one with the attitude.

By the way you are the one that associated Arabic with terrorism... no where in my post did you see me do that. So why don't you come down off your thrown.

This was not a race thing at all... I feel I was very clear about that, but I guess I will use pictures next time to help clarify.

PEACE!

I feel the same way leanaseyego does (and not cause he helped a bro out in another thread)..

If it was a bunch of white guy's you would have felt the same way.

If it was a bunch of kittens, you would have not (though that would have been an odd situation...)

It's about the generic formula of getting an ass whooping or whooping ass.

a+b/c = factor

a = # of people

b = size of the people

c = you

3 good looking women would equal probably the same as you so you would not be scared

4 guys reguardless of age/race/accent/ or the way they brush their hair would be > the power of you.

Ponder that for a second.

Then again.... maybe they were just trying to find a place to bury the body in the trunk?!

I feel the same way leanaseyego does (and not cause he helped a bro out in another thread)..

If it was a bunch of white guy's you would have felt the same way.

If it was a bunch of kittens, you would have not (though that would have been an odd situation...)

It's about the generic formula of getting an ass whooping or whooping ass.

a+b/c = factor

a = # of people

b = size of the people

c = you

3 good looking women would equal probably the same as you so you would not be scared

4 guys reguardless of age/race/accent/ or the way they brush their hair would be > the power of you.

Ponder that for a second.

Then again.... maybe they were just trying to find a place to bury the body in the trunk?!

Thanks.... Its good to hear some reason... nice touch on the trunk scenario too haha :lol:

I love the math too... that's just greatness

I also know how tough it is to put words together that often sounds completely different than what I mean

Yeah... just understand that some peoples lives are so sad and empty that they feel as though they need to try to start crap in a forum because they don't have what it takes to backup their attitudes in the real world. Don't let it get to you though, just keep posting ;)

Yeah... just understand that some peoples lives are so sad and empty that they feel as though they need to try to start crap in a forum because they don't have what it takes to backup their attitudes in the real world. Don't let it get to you though, just keep posting ;)

Oh thanks.

Yeah... just understand that some peoples lives are so sad and empty that they feel as though they need to try to start crap in a forum because they don't have what it takes to backup their attitudes in the real world. Don't let it get to you though, just keep posting wink.gif

ouch.. thats harsh eh?

This why there is a thing called affirmitive action if its a minority and there could be any possibility of racism it will be made out to be a big thing. Oh and if four guys (or girls) were bigger than me I don't care if they are purple I'd be scared.

I am pretty sure if that was a.) a bunch of nerdy guys, or b.)a bunch of hot females, you would have acted differently.

a) "Nerdy guys" you think of people who aren't that threatening (Yes its a stereotype, and not I don;t like stereotypes but that's what it is.). "hot females" Your mind might not be thinking about the threatening part, it might be else were and women aren't generally bigger then men (Not saying that it is always the case).

This why there is a thing called affirmitive action if its a minority and there could be any possibility of racism it will be made out to be a big thing. Oh and if four guys (or girls) were bigger than me I don't care if they are purple I'd be scared.

The thing is, the thread is about the four men's arabic decent directly. If race didn't matter, it wouldn't have been mentioned, and the thread is titled "I Hate to Profile..." which clearly describes that this is a racial issue because the OP "hates to profile" but did anyway (the "but Damn" part means he/she did).

Second if it was Japanese or Sweedish people, there wouldn't be anything interesting here..., but the OP's intention,

(wether intentional or not) was the implication that they were terrorists or something. This is furthermore solidified when the OP says they'll get his/her gun so he/she doesn't end up as a report on CNN. I have a feeling the OP will say, "No, I didn't think they were terrorists, but obviously you [me] did!," but there's no way to prove that. To set the record straight, I don't they they were terrorists. I think the OP did and was tying to rally like minded people.

Even if I'm over analyzing the situation, the thread is totally pointless.

Funny thing tho....if he hadn't mentioned that they were of arabic descent, would have we assumed they were white?

The way I see it, he's just telling a story.

Null Array if the thread holds no value for you, why even bother making a comment?

We all profile. Its like masturbation. Everyone does it, but no one wants to admit it. Well, most people don't anyways.

Shit, I'm in Law Enforcement and I'm always profiling. Being in uniform, I get people approaching me all the time for simple things like directions. Race, language, clothing, body language, tattoos, jewelery, etc..you'd better believe I take all of that into consideration when I'm dealing with someone. I treat everyone with respect and courteousness unless they give me a reason not to, but that doesn't mean I think they are good upstanding citizens.

Don't even think of it as profiling. Think of it as risk assessment. You saw four guys all get out and approach you. Does it really take four guys to ask directions? Wouldn't the average person know that approaching you in that way would make you nervous? If someone did that to me while I was on duty, I'd be nervous myself and you'd bet I'd have two or three of them go sit their butts back in the car. You were all alone in a rural area where no one could hear your cries for help, or respond to a 911 call quickly. The fact that they may have been Arab make it an extraordinary situation because it isn't what you would classify as an everyday situation. They're more of a minority in the US than other groups, so that would tweak your curiosity more so that if it was just 4 white guys.

Maybe they weren't aware that doing that here would make someone nervous. They come from a different culture. Thats fine. No harm was done, but you did nothing wrong by feeling a bit threatened.