Joining the Military?

VaKo

I would never join the military because i could never bring myself to kill someone.

Sometime it is nessacary. Considering there's at least 1000000000 people out there who would happily slit your throat for what you have.

I'd be fully prepared to kill someone for my country if the country was in danger or peace keep.....but as we all know (*cough iraq cough*) that wont be the only reason. To quote some dude badly: i'll do whatever my country asks of me, just make sure the reasons aint fukd up!

Like a slaver glove?

Easy way would be to use a series of camera flash units for power, since they would be able to provide the kick you wanted. Although it might kill the target.

Yeah camera flash units would provide the necessary current, but if I was ever to use it, like you say it could potentially kill which I would rather not have happen - just a little something to kick someone in line should I require it, if you see what I mean...

Not sure what a slaver glove is, but from what I found on Google about it, perhaps similar, yeah...

You could use those kitchen gas ring lighters, just solder 2 pins to the spark points, stab and click. Used to make them in school, most they can do is make someone jump & shout a bit.

Yeah we used to use the spark unit from electronic cigarette lighters and as you say, it isn't the most powerful shock but it does make you jump a bit... perhaps several wired in series?

It was in an old TV SciFi series called Babylon 5. Its basically a glove with a taser built in, which is kinda what your after.

Main reason to use camera flash units is they can use a very weak power supply (ie AA batterys) to power something that would knock a grown man on his ass. If you used a device that delivered its shock threw puncture wounds though, you might have to contend with blood, which in the situations you'd want to use this, would be A Bad Thing. If you could limit the output and just use contact plates you'd be on to something. Then the next time you get mugged, you simply grab some face and discharge.

Still, not quite as nasty as my idea for bullets that fly apart once they penatrate, the kicker being is nothing but mono-filimant wire inside. Kinda like having a shreader turned on in your chest cavity.

It was in an old TV SciFi series called Babylon 5. Its basically a glove with a taser built in, which is kinda what your after.

Heh. Where's Spock when you need him?

A very good friend of mine had joined the Army (USA) just last fall. Boot camp was no problem for him but once on base down in Texas, he had run into a few problems with his officers. In light of his small mistake, he ended driving his S-10 pick-up into a highway overpass at 90 mph without his seatbelt on. He lived and is doing great now (no lifetime injuries) but the mental hell they put him through for one simple mistake was ridiculous at that. I would never join the military unless forced - then a position in intel would be appropriate.

As for which makes the more money, I would suggest contracting work. Slightly safer as long as your in the correct parts of the countries you work in.

Offtopic slightly:

My father was a Lieutenant (police) and when the Iraq conflict turned worse without saddam hussein in power, he was offered upwards of $200,000 a year as a head security administrator out in Iraq. But, there in lies the risk of being shot which is why being close to the battle in not the way to go – and which is why we flat out told him to forget it.

The money is there but is putting your life on the line worth it?

Yeah I found that part out, just wasn't entirely sure what the glove /did/ :)

Main reason to use camera flash units is they can use a very weak power supply (ie AA batterys) to power something that would knock a grown man on his ass. If you used a device that delivered its shock threw puncture wounds though, you might have to contend with blood, which in the situations you'd want to use this, would be A Bad Thing. If you could limit the output and just use contact plates you'd be on to something. Then the next time you get mugged, you simply grab some face and discharge.

Yeah that would work as intended, though as you say blood probably wouldn't be a good thing in that situation... plates would work well I think...

The thing about it is I wouldn't be able to test it very well without risking killing or possibly unhealthy burns or heart problems in myself or my test subject... it's a pain, that one...

Still, not quite as nasty as my idea for bullets that fly apart once they penatrate, the kicker being is nothing but mono-filimant wire inside. Kinda like having a shreader turned on in your chest cavity.

Yeah that's a little more extreme, though it would do the job I should think...

I would never join the military because i could never bring myself to kill someone.

Sometime it is nessacary. Considering there's at least 1000000000 people out there who would happily slit your throat for what you have.

1 billion? Really? Although there are a lot of people living in extreme poverty, I'm not sure they would cut your throat happily, although I might be a bit naïve or optimistic if I said one 6th of people wouldn't kill you if they were guaranteed a western lifestyle for doing so, or maybe I'm being pessimistic and cynical in thinking that would naïve.

1 billion? Really? Although there are a lot of people living in extreme poverty, I'm not sure they would cut your throat happily, although I might be a bit naïve or optimistic if I said one 6th of people wouldn't kill you if they were guaranteed a western lifestyle for doing so, or maybe I'm being pessimistic and cynical in thinking that would naïve.

There was a saying that went something along the lines of "the world is 2 missed meals away from chaos". Imagine what it would be like in your neighbourhood if *no one* had eaten for 2 days and you heard that the guy down the block, the one everyone hates, has a packing case of tinned fruit he's hording. He's also got a shotgun he's not afraid to use.

No, you probally wouldn't smile, and neither would most people. But if people could see exactly what we have in the west, and how much we waste and compare it to what they have. You can kinda see why there pissed, especially when there told that god gave them everything, and they see these fat arrogant westerners with far better lives.

Add all those people to the muggers who carry weapons, hostile armys, gangs, murders, rapists & people who are just plain fucked in the head. And lets not forget things like Enron, who would happily kill you for the gold in your fillings if the law wasn't tighter.

Really not wanting to join the army for money tbh, its more a beligered case of "wanting to do something" gone horribley Off Message.

The military is a curious occupation. The pay sucks (regardless of rank), many of your rights as a citizen are restricted or taken completely, and you stand the risk of killing and being killed.

And yet, it can very well be the best experience of your life. You meet people from all over, often from outside your own country. So far in my enlistment I've worked with you Brits, the Germans, Aussies, and French, in addition to people from all over the US. The military life also affords unique experiences that many people will never come close to, like riding shotgun in an F-15, or a personal tour of a $130 million aircraft. Hell, at 18 years old I was given complete administrative access to a $30 million Cisco IP network, to repair and expand as necessary. Granted, it was job to do so.

If you think you might have any moral dilemmas, read up on your country's military law (in the US it's referred to as the UCMJ); this will tell you exactly what's expected of you. If you're looking to join as Intel, try and find someone who's currently in the position and call them up. Any decent recruiter should be able to arrange something, at least give you an E-mail address. Always keep an open mind, and remember that there's no guarantee of where you'll end up.

The most important thing about the military (in my experience) is maintaining a good work ethic and being able to take responsibility for your actions. A good supervisor expects honest mistakes and will correct them after the fact with minimal retribution, so long as you're straight with him.