wal-mart challeng (lol)

fretmelter

ok so i was at wal-mart the other day just minding my own and buisness and being really bored. SO, i went over to on of the laptops they had sitting out tht you could like mess around on to try out and stuff. So i pushed a button to get it out of sleep and i noticed the only log on name had a password by it. So i went over to the reminder and it said "Wouldn't you like to know" i found this very funny and it was obviously set by some devient who thought they were kool. Sooooo, i turned it off ad booted into the setup, then i took off ALL passwords on the pc, i went doen the list and it said that they were all not set. So i then booted it back normally and saw tht the password was still there......

this made me pretty mad cuz ive been messing with password stuff and couldnt get into the pc. So i walked away feeling beatn, anyone know why this happend and how to get into it, plz let me remind u it was a pc you were supposed to use at wal-mart. not like my rich neighbors or sumething i dont know.

thnx

Walmart, the Apple Store, Best Buy, and all major consumer electronic stores will have protective software on the computer, common software included Deep Freeze, and Steady State. You won't be able to remove the password because they have designed this software to prevent it, or the software restores the password after you remove it. In some cases it can also make it very difficult to even reformat, let alone change the password.

If you want access to the machine you'll need to get a copy of the SAM file (boot to a Knoppix disc and copy it to a USB drive) take it home and see if it contains any HASHs, i don't know if it will or not (let us know if you try this). And obviously, i think the retailer will frown upon you doing this.

ok so i was at wal-mart the other day just minding my own and buisness and being really bored. SO, i went over to on of the laptops they had sitting out tht you could like mess around on to try out and stuff. So i pushed a button to get it out of sleep and i noticed the only log on name had a password by it. So i went over to the reminder and it said "Wouldn't you like to know" i found this very funny and it was obviously set by some devient who thought they were kool. Sooooo, i turned it off ad booted into the setup, then i took off ALL passwords on the pc, i went doen the list and it said that they were all not set. So i then booted it back normally and saw tht the password was still there......

this made me pretty mad cuz ive been messing with password stuff and couldnt get into the pc. So i walked away feeling beatn, anyone know why this happend and how to get into it, plz let me remind u it was a pc you were supposed to use at wal-mart. not like my rich neighbors or sumething i dont know.

thnx

That makes no difference, some poor shmuck will probably get sold that thing eventually. Regardless, you still don't own that machine so you're still a douche for fucking with it.

Next please.

That makes no difference, some poor shmuck will probably get sold that thing eventually. Regardless, you still don't own that machine so you're still a douche for fucking with it.

Next please.

spoken like a pro of dealing with douches... do you work as an IT consultant or a telemarketer?

listen first of all calling me a douche bag wasnt nesasary, but i must not have made it clear, this computer was one set out so you could demo it or USE IT the purpose is for u to use then u like it then you buy it and wal-mart makes money. Anyway this was set by some guy who was using it then set a password to be a jackass to other people. Now, im just saying you were supposed to be able to use the laptop and some tard put a password on it to be smart. and i wanted to know how to get passed it. Not to get anything FROM the laptop but to get pass the password so the laptop can be used for what it was meant to be used for PUBLIC USE....

listen first of all calling me a douche bag wasnt nesasary, but i must not have made it clear, this computer was one set out so you could demo it or USE IT the purpose is for u to use then u like it then you buy it and wal-mart makes money. Anyway this was set by some guy who was using it then set a password to be a jackass to other people. Now, im just saying you were supposed to be able to use the laptop and some tard put a password on it to be smart. and i wanted to know how to get passed it. Not to get anything FROM the laptop but to get pass the password so the laptop can be used for what it was meant to be used for PUBLIC USE....

Then speak to the staff, say you're interested in buying one but you'd like to try one out first.

Then speak to the staff, say you're interested in buying one but you'd like to try one out first.

ah the staff at walmart are minimal wage they only know what is necessary to get the job done. like lets say collecting the money. they were never trained to do any of that, they wont know what to do. they might tell someone else and it will be fixed in a week. and if they were competent in the first place the would know to change the privileges so that cant happen.

so the person being the douche is the person who set the password, not the person trying to fix it.

so the person being the douche is the person who set the password, not the person trying to fix it

THANK U BRENNAN, any way thts all i was wondering but i guess ill just google it or something, thnx anyway

wait a second, going back to what sablefox said, i have a live version of knoppix can i use tht to access windows files from linux or do i need addition programs to do this also?

so the person being the douche is the person who set the password, not the person trying to fix it.

You have to understand that people come through here all the time saying "this box has a password, I need to get into it" and sometimes that's at school, sometimes work, sometimes a store or just a stupid, forgetful friend's house. Now, with that in mind, consider that we don't know the details, we don't know who's lying and how much they're lying.

Now, imagine that's happened a lot, and almost every kid who asks is trying to obtain access to a system that isn't theirs (which is actually still the case on this occasion). Think you'd be all up for helping them fuck each other over? Really?

As I mentioned earlier, regardless of whether anyone thinks this is the right thing to do, it's not your box to worry about. trying to "fix" (that is, fix as /you/ see it, remember, this isn't a system under your control) it can land you in just as much shit as owning a machine can. You can't really do much more than telling the staff you'd like to try the machine, if they want to sell you it that badly (hmmmm, commission) then they'll find a way or get someone who knows how to fix it. That way, you walk away with a clean mind because you acted, you don't get fucked because you screwed with their machine, the computer (maybe) gets de-passworded.

This is all assuming that someone did indeed put a password on the machine that wasn't authorised to do so. If that didn't happen, then you still shouldn't be fucking with it, the password's there for a reason.

To sum up; it's not your problem, it could land you in shit and they won't appreciate it anyway. My advice? Walk away, stay away, all is good.

The Wal-Marts in my area no longer have demo machines.

In many retail stores you aren't supposed to actually be able to use the demo machines on your own. They play a demo video about the machine and if you're so inclined to deal with a store associate they'll probably let you on while they try to sell you it.

If your local Wal-Mart has demo machines chances are they don't really intend for you to use them.

More importantly, they are probably setup by vendors and the store associates don't know anything about them past where the power cord is.

This is how Wal-Mart NORMALLY sets things like this up.

Oh and btw moonlit, Wally World doesn't have commissions ;)

-gonffen

I once went it to PC World just to see how slow the new Vista laptops where I found the most expensive that I could get to the desktop of (can't remember it's specs). It took 5 minuets to shutdown and turn on again.

ok i see what u all mean, especially with it being a demo pc with preloaded software so you dont actually get into the OS itself, but there was another pc beside tht didnt have a password and you could access the os just normally like any pc with admin access. and i guess there was no reason but to not be bored and really i didnt feel like using the desktop xuz it was in the middle of an isle and it was up kinda high i meen not like i couldnt reach it but it was awkward and the laptop with the password was more convient but it had a password so just wanted to use and have the satisfaction of getting pass the password tht some tard put on there. But i probably should have notified someone who worked there (although it wouldnt have been taken care of for weeks)

The Wal-Marts in my area no longer have demo machines.

In many retail stores you aren't supposed to actually be able to use the demo machines on your own. They play a demo video about the machine and if you're so inclined to deal with a store associate they'll probably let you on while they try to sell you it.

Pretty much the same everywhere in the UK...

Oh and btw moonlit, Wally World doesn't have commissions ;)

Yeah, I kinda remembered being told that ages ago on IRC when we had a similar conversation. I think PC World and such over here do sell on commission though, which means if they can sell you lots of expensive stuff (often including an extended guarantee, if they can pull it off) then they get paid more.

Next please.

Now now Moonlit, try to be nice to the newcomers, i like to use a thesaurus ;)

This is much nicer;

That makes no difference, some [one who lives in poverty] will probably get sold that thing eventually. Regardless, you still don't own that machine so you're still a [vagina cleaning apparatus] for [having sex] with it.

Next please.

Walmart, the Apple Store, Best Buy, and all major consumer electronic stores will have protective software on the computer, common software included Deep Freeze, and Steady State. You won't be able to remove the password because they have designed this software to prevent it, or the software restores the password after you remove it. In some cases it can also make it very difficult to even reformat, let alone change the password.

If you want access to the machine you'll need to get a copy of the SAM file (boot to a Knoppix disc and copy it to a USB drive) take it home and see if it contains any HASHs, i don't know if it will or not (let us know if you try this). And obviously, i think the retailer will frown upon you doing this.

i generally hate deep freeze , tho its kinda funny that they used an illegitimate copy of it on some computers at my old school xD

Everyone here remembers when they first started poking at security and getting the charge from whatever. There is no reason to call em names.

Moonlite: thats a very negative attitude coming from an admin, respect your responsibility by respecting others.

Everyone here remembers when they first started poking at security and getting the charge from whatever. There is no reason to call em names.

Moonlite: thats a very negative attitude coming from an admin, respect your responsibility by respecting others.

I dont see anything wrong with that, I was just saying to calm down since the guy was excited about a hack. It may not be a big hack to you but, it apparently was to him. Im sure the first time you soldered something together it wasnt the most amazing or useful thing in the world, but it was a start and you were excited about it. Dont knock someone just because its not important to you.

Thank you for critically analyzing my comment once again showing my many flaws with which I would not be able be even able to compose a retort from. I bow before your superior reasoning skills.

Since when was it strange to make a link to you own site.

I'm done explaining my standpoint on this issue, I've done so all over this forum and I'm not going to again.

If you'd like to know why I appear somewhat hostile to posters in topics like this one, feel free to look for the posts in which I've explained.