wal-mart challeng (lol)

fretmelter

Walmart, the Apple Store, Best Buy, and all major consumer electronic stores will have protective software on the computer, common software included Deep Freeze, and Steady State. ....

In reply to this.. *sigh* .. I used to work at a Wally World (Canadian). I can't officially speak for all stores, but the 2 I worked at did not install any 3rd party applications on any machines that were on display. They were generally kept "clean" so they could infact be sold later as they sell displays after no more units can be shipped to the store.

ah the staff at walmart are minimal wage they only know what is necessary to get the job done. like lets say collecting the money. they were never trained to do any of that, they wont know what to do. they might tell someone else and it will be fixed in a week. and if they were competent in the first place the would know to change the privileges so that cant happen.

I may not know as much about computers as some, and I certainly don't claim to. Not all employees are incompetent. I know my way around a computer or two, and a few fellow employees went to school and were either qualified engineers (retired), or programmers trying to make a few extra dollars during the school year. I know there was no real harm intended, but you never know who you will bump into.

In reply to this.. *sigh* .. I used to work at a Wally World (Canadian). I can't officially speak for all stores, but the 2 I worked at did not install any 3rd party applications on any machines that were on display. They were generally kept "clean" so they could infact be sold later as they sell displays after no more units can be shipped to the store.

I may not know as much about computers as some, and I certainly don't claim to. Not all employees are incompetent. I know my way around a computer or two, and a few fellow employees went to school and were either qualified engineers (retired), or programmers trying to make a few extra dollars during the school year. I know there was no real harm intended, but you never know who you will bump into.

I worked at wal~mart for three years in the electronics section while I was going to school (for networking and systems security) everyone else I worked with were gamers so they knew there stuff but I was pritty much the goto guy for all things computers. so yeah you never know who you might bump into.

@Moonlit: Although I agree with you moonlit, (it's not your machine to be messing with so get help from an associate or move on) I have looked through a majority of your posts and you always seem to be harsh and snappy. I know this is like the 100th trillion person you have had to tell that they wont get that kind of help here but you could stand to lighten up a bit and maybe put it in a nicer tone. part of being an admin or a moderator is having to deal with this kind of thing all the time.

• 5 months later...
listen first of all calling me a douche bag wasnt nesasary, but i must not have made it clear, this computer was one set out so you could demo it or USE IT the purpose is for u to use then u like it then you buy it and wal-mart makes money. Anyway this was set by some guy who was using it then set a password to be a jackass to other people. Now, im just saying you were supposed to be able to use the laptop and some tard put a password on it to be smart. and i wanted to know how to get passed it. Not to get anything FROM the laptop but to get pass the password so the laptop can be used for what it was meant to be used for PUBLIC USE....

You are a douche. You don’t work for wal mart (or you might.. whatever) so leave it for the IT guys there. They will fix it because that is what they are paid for. Would you empty the garbage one the whay out for them as well? They certainly don’t need some douche walking around f#$^ing up their s@$t. Let it go man! Find a girl friend, or something that will fill that void in your life that you so desperately need to fill!

It looks like the initial post describes rebooting the computer in to the bios in order to remove the windows password? That makes no sense at all. To the original poster: if that's what you did, then you need to start right at the beginning because it's clear you dont have a decent grasp on how computers work. Also, while you are at it, could you possibly learn to spell? Thanks.

The Wal-Marts in my area no longer have demo machines.

In many retail stores you aren't supposed to actually be able to use the demo machines on your own. They play a demo video about the machine and if you're so inclined to deal with a store associate they'll probably let you on while they try to sell you it.

If your local Wal-Mart has demo machines chances are they don't really intend for you to use them.

More importantly, they are probably setup by vendors and the store associates don't know anything about them past where the power cord is.

This is how Wal-Mart NORMALLY sets things like this up.

Oh and btw moonlit, Wally World doesn't have commissions ;)

-gonffen

Ahem, I used to work for Wal-Mart while I went to college to study for IT. Don't be to critical about others unless you have been in their position. After all you don't see me going to where you work and throw rocks at you while you mow the lawn. j/k

• 2 weeks later...
If you want access to the machine you'll need to get a copy of the SAM file (boot to a Knoppix disc and copy it to a USB drive) take it home and see if it contains any HASHs, i don't know if it will or not (let us know if you try this). And obviously, i think the retailer will frown upon you doing this.

I prefer this method for resetting passwords:

Boot into your favorite linux live CD. Mount the hard drive, and cd into C:\WINDOWS\System32\. Make a copy/rename sethc.exe to sethc.exe.bak [or whatever]. Copy cmd.exe and rename the copy to sethc.exe. Reboot.

At the login page for windows, hit shift 5 times and you'll get a command prompt with SYSTEM privledges. The SYSTEM account exists on every windows machine and controlls the kernel and things like that. Type net user Administrator * (or whatever username you want to reset) and bingo.

I use this method all the time to unlock computers where people forget their password. Or do they....

I once went it to PC World just to see how slow the new Vista laptops where I found the most expensive that I could get to the desktop of (can't remember it's specs). It took 5 minuets to shutdown and turn on again.

Sounds about right.