ReadyBoost

Pizza

What do you think of ReadyBoost  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Don't Care
    • Bad
    • Don't Care

Yeah........I agree...............I nearly posted a poll on asking peeps opinions on sausage with marmalade or ketchup...............whats theie fav? Please stop me from posting polls like this by putting a min 5000 post limit before your allowed :-P

wtf is readyboost? people need to explain their polls.

ReadyBoost is Windows Vista's System for Expanding Your Systems Memory by Using your Flash Memory Stick as an Addition to your Memory.

Actually it's not, it's used as a file cache for often used files and data.

Kind of off topic, but your signature made me wonder, what is it

called when you have 1000TB?

Bits, Nibbles, Bytes, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes, Petabytes, Exabytes, Zettabytes, Yottabytes.

Edit: ...but now I think about it, what comes next: Bit, Nibble, Byte, Kibibyte, Mebibyte, Gibibyte... err... Tebibytes, Pebibytes, Exibibytes, Zettibibytes and Yottibibytes? C'mon, they're not really going to... are they? :|

I honestly dont think that computers will evolve so much that we

will ever need more than a petabyte in HD space (talking about

personal computers, of course) ridiculous databases might?

yeah and no one will ever need more then 640k of memory

Dont mock me. I know Bill Gates once made that foolish comment,

but atleast not between now and the time I die... I just really dont

see anyone needing that much space, what file could actually be that

large? maybe one day there will be like giant media files that are 3D

holograms, and average file size is like 50GB each, but until then...

I just dont see it

I just dont see it

According to Gates he didn't say that... I don't have a source to link you to so I won't press that point...

Nevertheless though, with uncompressed HD video we could well need very large HDDs. I don't see it being impossible to use up a petabyte or more.

You only hit the size barrier when you figure out the absolute minimum number of molecules you need to reliably (as in a hundred years or so) maintain a magnetic field. At which point you need a physically bigger space.

Or, you could develop a drive that can store 2 bits of data in the same space a regular drive would store one. There by doubling the capacity.

or perhaps create a drive that each sector of the disk can have 3 states (rather than two) and figure out a way to store 1.5 bits in every sector.

I just dont see it

According to Gates he didn't say that... I don't have a source to link you to so I won't press that point...

Nevertheless though, with uncompressed HD video we could well need very large HDDs. I don't see it being impossible to use up a petabyte or more.

oh no... impossible is definitlely not the state of HD growth that I

was trying to convey, I am simply saying that I do not predict ever

seeing a personal HD the size of a petabyte before I die.

EDIT:

You only hit the size barrier when you figure out the absolute minimum number of molecules you need to reliably (as in a hundred years or so) maintain a magnetic field. At which point you need a physically bigger space.

Or, you could develop a drive that can store 2 bits of data in the same space a regular drive would store one. There by doubling the capacity.

or perhaps create a drive that each sector of the disk can have 3 states (rather than two) and figure out a way to store 1.5 bits in every sector.

I'm not arguing the possibility of developing a drive this size

I'm arguing practical usage of a drive this size.

Well, you could use quantum storage or similar where information storage is encoded into individual particles, but thats quite a while off yet. As for what you might want to store on the system, how about AI? Something that is to our brains as ours are to ant brains. So while i think humans might come up with the concept of a Yottabyte, i don't think we'll be the ones using it.

I can't see it being all that far off, we have 1TB drives now... only 5 years ago I didn't think we would have 100GB for a long while, I don't even remember how big by first HDD was, it was alot less that a 100MB! This year will probally see 2-3GB drives released? Does anyone know how big a drive can theoretically be?

How does the size issue compare vs Solid State? Solid State seems to be rumbling along quite quickly (inc Memory Cards)

for now solid state doesn't seem good for important data due to  much more limited write cycles

and a problem with them is that unlike a hard drive which will show signs of it getting ready to die, flash memory often works 100% one monent then suddenly dies the next moment

and there just really expensive

until they can make them last much longer than a standard hard drive,  it will be a bad idea to get