linux / free os

shadow1100mfp

whats a good free os for a media center? i thought about windows but i dont want to pay for it, and i need it to be able to support alot of programs (itunes, vlc, firefox, bit torrent, limewire) and i need it to be able to connect to other computers on my network to act as a music server at the same time (at the moment there are 5 xp home and 1 xp media centers on my network). the media center is in my kitchen and i cant move that, and i don't want to spend alot of money on this project (at most 200. thats for a video card, memory and high def cables.)

Not that you would want to go out and buy new hardware, but here is a Linux hardware device to move video to your tv from the pc, similar to apple TV but completely open source and ready to be hacked. So instead of just recording video from TV, you can also spit back out just about anything to your tv, things like youtube on your TV, etc.

http://tech.nocr.at/gadgets/neuros-osd-hack-away/

linux does not do media go with vista ultimate or Apple tv thing

That's sarcasm, right?

is there an ipod software thats like itunes? (included video player, syncs ipods, buy music and videos) or even a better one (like one where i can backup ipods to the computer... i have 4 ipods and half of the music i have is from friends computers)

Yes GtkPod.

come one VaKo you know he's talking about the free trial...

I didn't know vista had a free trial....

Not that you would want to go out and buy new hardware, but here is a Linux hardware device to move video to your tv from the pc, similar to apple TV but completely open source and ready to be hacked. So instead of just recording video from TV, you can also spit back out just about anything to your tv, things like youtube on your TV, etc.

http://tech.nocr.at/gadgets/neuros-osd-hack-away/

if the video card i have didn't have video out for tv (well they.. i have 2, and svideo out, rca out, dvi out, vga out, and i have an adaptor to make dvi to hdmi) id look for something like this