TOMATO SPLOOP...

melodic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the vision of darkness be caused by the gravitational pull near the centre forcing objects to travel past the speed of light, so they are no-longer visable, or would it simply be that all the sources of light in the area have been sucked into the maelstrom of the hole, slipping into the black hole where it can't escape, thus stopping us from percieving light around the area?

All matter and light is sucked into a black hole. At least I'm pretty sure all matter... well I know that most matter and all light get sucked in and heavily compressed... or are they actually portals to other dimensions...

Interesting fact: A black hole is actually the size of a pea.

Interesting fact: A black hole is actually the size of a pea.

Are you sure about that? Didn't they discover a black hole billions of times bigger than the sun fairly recently (in the last couple of years)?

I always thought it was enormous density and enormous mass. End result would be enormous gravity, and comparatively small volume.

This is the one I was thinking of.

Q0906+6930 is the most distant known blazar (redshift 5.47 / 12.7 billion light years), discovered in July, 2004. The engine of the blazar is a supermassive black hole at least 10^10 times more massive than the Sun (roughly the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy). The event horizon volume is 1000 times that of the Solar System. It is one of the most massive black holes on record.

Hmm, pretty big pea.

This is the one I was thinking of.
Q0906+6930 is the most distant known blazar (redshift 5.47 / 12.7 billion light years), discovered in July, 2004. The engine of the blazar is a supermassive black hole at least 10^10 times more massive than the Sun (roughly the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy). The event horizon volume is 1000 times that of the Solar System. It is one of the most massive black holes on record.

Hmm, pretty big pea.

Well, note the wording.

X times more massive = More mass. No word on size.

Event Horizon = point where its gravity traps everything (I think). Again, no word on the size of the actual object itself.

Well that FAQ that W4RP3D posted above seems to classify the physical size of a black hole by it's Schwarzschild radius which is the radius of the event horizon.

That page says "A black hole with a mass equal to that of the Sun would have a radius of 3 kilometers" which is certainly larger than any pea I've seen, and that only has the mass of 1 sun, Q0906+6930 is 10^10 (ten billion) times bigger.

Also this page seems to agree (which I found by searching for 'size of a black hole' on Google).

Isn't the Schwarzschild radius is just the point where light can no longer escape, not the actual size of the black hole. Or is that a moot point given the unlikelyhood of carrying information accross the Schwarzschild radius?

Now, if you could open a hypothetical worm-hole with one end inside the Schwarzschild radius, what would you see?

Well I guess that depends how you define a black hole, doesn't it? Those two pages seem to indicate that anything within the event horizon is counted as the black hole. Since anything which goes past the event horizon will never leave it again I'd say that's kind of logical.

What would you see within the Schwartzchild radius?

random.jpg

Really not sure, the physics seems to say that aside from weird optical effects it would look normal. If you could "see" hawking radiation, and not just human visible light, you might see something bizare. It just seems to me that, if there is a radius you can cross (one way), there must be something inside of that. Is this just a point in space with a near infinate mass, or is it an actual physical area that can be defined as the black holes core. Only trouble is we don't have the tech to test either way. The speed of light is a rather limiting factor.