3tunes - Pandora Timeshifting

jollyrancher82

Current Release: 0.1.1-alpha

This release relies on a few things to function correctly, some of these are being fixed some are things you just have to put up with.

You cannot pause (wait until 0.1.2)

You most deffinately cannot skip the song as this messes up the timeshifting.

You cannot use the window for browsing while 3tunes is running, open a new tab and 3tunes will quit, close the window and 3tunes will tell you

Currently there is a "dirty" hack for finding the window, this will be removed in future releases. Currently all MP3s are copied to C:. This will be made configurable in the future.

For more information please visit: http://3tunes.codingproject.com to download, find help, and submit bugs.

sounds good. i could care less about pausing or skipping, just to have the program run in the background and put the files in a configurable directory would be really nice.

I'm a little confused about the hack you mention. Can you not use another firefox window while this app is running?

Each window in Windows has a unique Handle, so I use the "dirty" hack to find this handle. Then I continuously get the titlebar text every 5 seconds, so you the titlebar changes from Pandora to sometime else, 3tunes will crash, if you close the Pandora window, 3tunes will notify you and stop.

I'm currently rewriting a majority of the code from C to C++, so it maybe a while until 0.1.2

I also took down the site until I can find out whether or not they can sue me.

If you think about it your not hacking pandora in any way. All your program does is basicly capture text from Firefox's title bar and rename files that are on your computer.

You would think that if a file is located on your computer you would have the right to do what ever you wanted to do with said file.

But i'm sure there was a EULA somewhere with very small text that when we accepted we forfeited all our rights and are liable and all that BS.

Just my opinion....

The files are supposed to be copied to the root dir on C, right? Everything appears to be working (i.e. the songs are showing up in the 3tunes window) but I can't find the files anywhere.

I have the same problem as this also.

All,

A co-worker and I created an implementaion of the timeshifter in c++. This program is a single .exe and you can give it a directory to save the songs in and it will create it if it doesn't exist. Also, you can give it an option to file by artist, and your songs will be saved in the folder you specified under artistalbumsong.mp3.

The album is looked up using a Yahoo web api. I've had it going for a day or two and it looks pretty good.

If anyone wants it, you'll have to PM me. I don't have any space to host the files on.

Anyone who wants the source can have it.

Thanks,

Rob

It seems that I do not have a plugtmp dir in "C:Documents and Settings*username*Local SettingsTemp"

After a lot of cache-removal, restarts, re-installing, even installing old versions of Firefox, it still doesn't show up (yes, show hidden files is enabled :-) )

So everything works (the title), except finding and copying the files.

Also I use Treesize to find the tempfiles on my harddisk, and I cannot find those.

Anyone an idea?

Gr J

If you think about it your not hacking pandora in any way. All your program does is basicly capture text from Firefox's title bar and rename files that are on your computer.

You would think that if a file is located on your computer you would have the right to do what ever you wanted to do with said file.

But i'm sure there was a EULA somewhere with very small text that when we accepted we forfeited all our rights and are liable and all that BS.

Just my opinion....

you should read Pandora's Terms of Service... they mention that is infact a violtion.. look it over

here, everyone, here's the original Pandora timeshifting software (Featured in episode 8 ) that TomB tried to copy by making 3Tunes...

however, it has been improved and revamped.. it actually WORKS, and supports pausing, skipping, etc.. doesn't crash when things go wrong, actually WORKS, no annoying message box to find the title bar (its automated), and does ID3 tagging.

see for yourself. source included. enjoy!

the ORIGINAL:

http://files.filefront.com/PandoraSploit_1...;/fileinfo.html

P.S. TomB, i do NOT intend on starting a forum battle.. infact i really like what you've done with your site. it looks nice and slick, smooth, pretty, professional.. infact so does the concept of your next release. but you should focus more on your actual program.. get your program working better before you make the GUI and website pretty. take a look at my source if you want some ideas.

remember, form follows function.

You do infact INTEND to point out, on multiple occasions that YOURS is the original Pandora "hack".

And I take offense to you claiming that my program does not actually work, where in fact, it does actually work for me, thats all that counts right? I coded it for me and my friends, so aslong as it works for me and them, who really cares if it doesn't work for others?

If my memory servers me correctly, you joined the Hak.5 forums on the 11th.. which is today, and then you only post about your Pandora "hack". This being 3 days after my program made frontpage of Digg.com and there after on LifeHacker and Download Squad. Now, would you have signed up to the Hak.5 forums for any other reasons other than to suggest people use your program over mine? Your "revamped" program didn't really show up till after my program came into the light.

Also I didn't really "try" did I? I think it's more of the case of "did" create another program to take advantage of Pandora and Firefox. You claim you don't want to start a forum "battle", which actually suggests that you think your post will actually make me retaliate into a flame war. Also telling me to "get your program working before making a UI" is a bit rude, telling me how to code my own programs? I'm pretty sure I code my programs how I like? "take a look at my source code if you want some ideas" is a little patronising don't you think? I'm sure I can come up with my own ideas in my own time. I'm one to code my own code, and not think "Ah this code looks good I'll use this".

I guess that's all I have to say on this, you can email me at my email address, which you seem to have already done on multiple occassions.

Oh and good luck with your applications, it requires .NET framework & Java Runtime Environment am I correct?

Oh and good luck with your applications, it requires .NET framework & Java Runtime Environment am I correct?

Yup. .NET app to grab the title, Java app to work with it from there. Plenty of room for improvement there.

He's not so much saying your program doesn't work, he's saying (or at least trying to) that his program has been updated so that it (=his program) actually WORKS. Understandable for him to point that out since his original program did NOT work anymore.

That PS however IS very much a nice set of fighting words, dispite him claiming otherwise.

You do infact INTEND to point out, on multiple occasions that YOURS is the original Pandora "hack".

thats right, it is. although its more of an exploit. refer to episode 8

And I take offense to you claiming that my program does not actually work, where in fact, it does actually work for me, thats all that counts right? I coded it for me and my friends, so aslong as it works for me and them, who really cares if it doesn't work for others?

i never said your software doesn't work. i said mine does.

yes if you intended it for only your friends, thats the only people it needs to work for. but you obviously want more people to use it, judging by your website and digg post.. so its kind of a bad approach to take saying who cares if it doesn't work... thats actaully the entire point of the digg post, website, and software isnt it? to work?

when i said mine works, i meant it doesn't break or mess up where yours does... for example, nothing showed up in my c: drive and i know other people on this forum had the same issue.. and pausing and skipping messes things up too :(

If my memory servers me correctly, you joined the Hak.5 forums on the 11th.. which is today, and then you only post about your Pandora "hack". This being 3 threes after my program made frontpage of Digg.com and there after on LifeHacker and Download Squad. Now, would you have signed up to the Hak.5 forums for any other reasons other than to suggest people use your program over mine? Your "revamped" program didn't really show up till after my program came into the light.

3 threes? i dont know what that means, but i joined the forum because i saw that people were talking about my software, and i wanted to clear up the confusion and give people the working version..

if you want the story of my program here it is: i wrote my program for a few friends just like you did, almost a year ago. then i commented on a really old digg story:

>http://digg.com/music/Pandora_streaming_radio_(dugg_earlier)_caches_to_your_TEMP_folder_< and i sent it to Hak5.. if you go and watch episode 8, they demo my app... since then i've been getting about 3 emails aweek requesting my app, and i've been sending it out to people. unfortunately, old versions of my app ended up getting stuck being hosted.. and infact i've been sending out updates to people on my mailing list.. so actually my program has been out for a while, just not in the spotlight. i prefer that a program such at this is kept quiet, because putting it in the spotlight like this is the reason that companies are forced to put restrictive DRM on their music... :( .

i think your program showed after my program broke and some people on this forum were confused because they didn't get the update that i sent out to everyone on my mailing list. .. which is why i joined this forum to clear up the confusion..

Also I didn't really "try" did I? I think it's more of the case of "did" create another program to take advantage of Pandora and Firefox. You claim you don't want to start a forum "battle", which actually suggests that you think your post will actually make me retaliate into a flame war. Also telling me to "get your program working before making a UI" is a bit rude, telling me how to code my own programs? I'm pretty sure I code my programs how I like? "take a look at my source code if you want some ideas" is a little patronising don't you think? I'm sure I can come up with my own ideas in my own time. I'm one to code my own code, and not think "Ah this code looks good I'll use this".

you're right its a bit rude and i appologize for that.. thats why i said i DIDN'T want to start a battle..

what i mean by "try" is that some features are still missing or broken, meaning you haven't actually finished it yet im guessing. you've clearly spent a lot of time making a pretty website, which i already told you looks really nice , so congratz on that.. i just value functional software over pretty websites.

no, offering my code its not patronising.. its how open source projects work. people share ideas and critique eachother. constructional critisizm is a good thing. i know you don't like the open source idea but you could at least have a friend look at your code, it will help you as a programmer.

i look forward to the next releases where you fix some of the issues you are planning.

yes it requires JRE. the awsome part of java is that it runs on every operating system. i want to support the mac and linux users too!

.Net comes pre-installed on most windows machines. infact, you said you were grabbing window handles and using C++. well, because of that, your software requres .NET too

looking at this forum , i have seen at least two other implementations that do the same kind of time-shifting, and they are both open source offering their code. They've done some really awesome things that i like a lot. each one has its own interesting approach. but, i think its stupid to have 4 different versions going around when we could all share our ideas and have a really nice piece of software here, dont you agree? thats why i have donated my working code to the community.

i wish i could talk to you in person or in voice because i dont like the way my ideas, concepts, and intentions come through in writing. this is why i avoid forums because fights break out over small things like inferring the wrong thing or taking something the wrong way.

trust me i mean the best. lets keep this friendly. its NOT a coding battle.

.Net comes pre-installed on most windows machines. infact, you said you were grabbing window handles and using C++. well, because of that, your software requres .NET too

Erm... my program doesn't require .NET. I use a Win32 API function called GetWindowText();