MAC Address Scanner

astromodder

I need a program that scans a wireless network for allowed MAC Addresses and assigns one randomly to your computer's wireless card.

I need to get on the school's network without an allowed computer cuz the administration sucks dick.  I posted something similar to this last year about when I got caught.

Breathe in... Breathe out.

Presumably your admin sucks dick because he's on to you, instead of the sadly more common case of him not being able to admin the network properly in the first place due to lack of time, skill, or both. That probably means that when something goes amiss, you'll be on the short list of people likely to be responsible for the troubles. Knowing this, are you really sure you want to do this? Is whatever you want to do worth being expelled over?

Seriously, think about it.

If you can crack the wireless network you can sniff it, meaning that you can find out which MAC addresses are being used and, thus, authorized. It should be trivial to find tools that will assign a given MAC address to your own card. Basically the hard part is making sure that the machine that legitimately owns that MAC address is off(-line) while you're doing your thing.

Maybe you should choose a target OTHER than your school network?

That would be messed up. Effectively forcing you to rent the laptop. Aren't there any 'public access' computers in the hall somewhere that you could use?

They use a web program called Blackboard.  We have a section for each class and teachers can post assignments, notes, quizzes, tests, etc. if they choose too.  If I paid for a school laptop which is literally a glorified word processor since that is ALL you can use it for then I could just connect and get whatever I needed, you are supposed to pay $85 per year for it.  Last year I didnt and any assignment i needed I had to copy from a friend or something.  If I was connected I could just get it myself on my own computer.  I think I have found some utilities that will work though.

They must give you some form of access to documents etc? For poor kids/amish students etc Some form of off-line hard copy or the use of a flash stick? Its probally a legal requirement. Why not have a word with your teacher?

But to be totally honest, its not much for a laptop for a year, you may as well just get one if it makes life easier. They will kick your ass if you get caught, and by the sounds of it you will, quickly. Its a managed network run by people who know what there doing.

Been on both sides of that argument, it always comes down to "work with what you have, not what you want". If you crack the encryption, get a valid MAC address and get away with it, cool. If you can't guarantee all 3 steps, your back to working with what you have. Look at it from there point of view, they have a large network they have to ensure runs smoothly, comply to all the relevant laws and has as near to 100% uptime as possible. The best way to do this is to make every machine on the thing managed, so you know there all patched, there all sercure, the av is up-to-date and no one can play silly buggers with a vital setting. You might think "oh, but my notebook is 100% safe, its all up to date and kosher", but how can they tell? How much time should they spend checking students computers to make sure there not virus infested death traps? It's simply a lot more easy to lock everything down.

MAC address spoofing is harder than you might think also.  I would bet a good amount that there is some other security besides the mac addresses, and a good network admin can tell when you are spoofing (since all spoofing is is inserting your mac in front of the real mac).  Also I second Vako's comment above.  I am also a senior at high school, but over the summer I worked with our large IT department and learned why they hate kids like you that try to beat the system.  85 dollars is by no means expensive for a laptop.  I also enjoyed watching my systems administrator find people who plugged in to our network and instantly ban their mac address. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can access Blackboard from any computer that can access the internet and can accept security certificates. My suggestion is to use the library and save any document onto a floppy disk. Most school wont let you use flash drives but 90% of schools will still let you use a floppy drive. So login save whatever documents you need onto the 3.5" and go back your box.

You obviously can not break into the school's network so why not just make it easy on yourself and use a 3.5" and let it be done. Good Luck

You can access Blackboard from any computer that can access the internet and can accept security certificates. My suggestion is to use the library and save any document onto a floppy disk. Most school wont let you use flash drives but 90% of schools will still let you use a floppy drive. So login save whatever documents you need onto the 3.5" and go back your box.

You obviously can not break into the school's network so why not just make it easy on yourself and use a 3.5" and let it be done. Good Luck

You definitely pulled that number out of your ass.  I would definite say that most schools will let you use a flash drive.

I ended up getting a MAC Address from an unused laptop through a friend who is in a music class where they have laptops in there that they never use, yet the MAC addresses are still on the whitelist.  I have been to the administrators asking for access to the network but they are just like "because of security issues the only way we can allow you to use your own personal laptop is if you purchase one that is the exact same models as we use and you allow us to put on all of the restrictions that other students have"

The thing that pisses me off is there is another person who I sort of know and when he asked for access with his own computer they just gave it to him, they allowed the MAC address for his laptop with no questions asked.  WTF?  When they catch me spoofing this year I am going to question them about that, even take it to the central office for all of the county schools and even to the superintendent if necessary.

BTW there are only 6 computers in teh library which are "public" computers that anyone can use, the catch is you really aren't allowed to use them unless the teacher sends you there to use them or if your class is using the library.  And out of the 1250 students there this year, the 6 computers are almost always in use.

You definitely pulled that number out of your ass.  I would definite say that most schools will let you use a flash drive.

Well if by ass you mean any college with an IT guy. (concerning public student computers)

Well if by ass you mean any college with an IT guy. (concerning public student computers)

You are right. If you have a school computer access account you most likely can access it.

username -

initials.idnumber

(no .'s)

password -

initials of school.

example - hjgsd