Need advice on website design:

VaKo

http://www.eyes-wideopen.co.uk/final/

Been working on this on and off for a few months now, its my university courses degree show, with a few randoms bits of peoples work on there (the ones with the * at the end of there name). Its not finished yet, but its pretty close. So i though i'd get some outside views on it and leak it early to you people.

Just wondered what people thought, what you like, or dislike, and if its broken at all. Been tested on XP SP2 Firefox 1.5.0.2 and IE6 but no Macs as of yet. My works not on the site yet, as i need to add HD streaming video to it. Needs javascript enabled and flash 8 installed.

Thanks for your input/critieuq...

Liketh, a hell of a lot, pretty flying words, though four questions...

1) Your middle name's Wladimir?

2) What language is the information about the photographer's in, it looks like either French or Russian to me, which probably means it's neither. Probably Latin, damn dead language.

3) Will there be links to all the photographer's eventually?

4) If y'all make the text for the artists at the bottom of the page a dark crimson, not for any particular reason, I just like the colour.

5) Your middle name is Wladimir?!!

I jest. Totally awsome site dude, it looks like a hell of a lot of work's gone into it, and I hope that the Uni recognise that when they give you that A grade ;)

If there are any tickets to the show, could you give us a buzz?

The only thing that strikes me is that flash thing. It looks like you could've used an animated gif instead, which would bring down the requirement you place on your viewing audience. I don't know how prevalent Flash 8 is, so I might just be talking out of my ass, but I normally don't run any flash parts on any site unless I _know_ there's something worth while there.

Yup, my middle name is Wladimir (vlad-i-mir)!

The text is Ipsum, or standard DP filler text.

Eventually there will be 30 sets of work on the site, so it should be good.

This is part of the reason my post count its so high, been chained to a computer working on this and other things.

I quite like it myself, it's quite clean and easy to navigate but the only thing I'm not so sure about is the flash bit at the top - it's nice, I like it but it's a little distracting seeing as it takes so long to finish the animation. Altogether though, very nice!

Personally - I think it's super awesome. Really. I think the colour choices are great, the flash intro is perfect and the implementation of lightbox is impeccable. Bravo, dude. Heh, Wladimir. Cool. Kinda like Putin :D (Russian president, if you guys didn't know)

Personally - I think it's super awesome. Really. I think the colour choices are great, the flash intro is perfect and the implementation of lightbox is impeccable. Bravo, dude. Heh, Wladimir. Cool. Kinda like Putin :D (Russian president, if you guys didn't know)

Hmm... Let's see, spelling is good, grammar is also good, no 1337 speak, no retarded flaming, intelligent points, and another mention of Wladimir (VaKo gets +10 Kudos for that name)

Holy crap! We have a person who has joined the forum recently who's not either flamebait, or a complete newbie!

Welcome aboard Mr Paradox.

Glad you all like it, should be putting it up fully some time next week. The flash does take up a lot of screen estate... but to be honest there isn't a great deal of content on the front page so without it, it kinda looks bare.

I like it. Overall it's a pretty cohesive design. The first thing that caught my attention was your navigation buttons at the top. The way they are aligned and positioned, they look more like subscript than individual nav items. At first glance, I read them "the photographers" and "the exhibition" as one word. And since it's just above the main title(after it loads) that also sort of pulls it into the text body. I suggest moving that bar down below the main black flash header, and centering the two link options. from there, possibly add a small line or add spacing between the two links to pull them apart so they dont read as one word.

Hope this helps.