Hosting

Ethan Hunt

they easiest way to get this done is to go with simple webhosting service, such as 3ix, hostdaddy. and some others that arnt on the top of my head. they will setup the domain and the files hosting for you, its then up to you to upload the file onto it, in the correct HTTP style ie. index.html/php as the first page.

you can also do the cheaper way and get a Linux box and put apache on it. then all you need is a domain name. and that can cose just a couple of dollars a month. Webmin is a program that makes it a lot easer to set up the process also.

If you want something up tomorrow, go with the hosting option. If you don't mind how long it takes you to get your site up, then setup a LAMP server at home and learn. If you Google LAMP server you should find a few good tutorials as to how to set one up.

there are many options we need a little more information from you such as budget and if u have a computer that u can use to host the site on. also what is the site going to host? you have too keep in mind that if u host something like that people want for the general public that u may need a faster connection.

Just buy some hosting, it hardly costs anything and hosting anything other than personal stuff on a regular broadband connection is a joke.

I have to agree on this one. It's been discussed on here before so check the forum for other opinions.

What kind of bandwidth are you dealing with anyway. Unless you have a fat pipe(T1 or greater) your not going to maintain heavy traffic coming into your home. Besides, your surfing will suffer for it in the long run. Imagine having cable inernet and all of the sudden your slower than dial up because people are downloading files from your home network.

If you ever used Bittorrent, or any thing like it, then you know that you don't get the chance to do much else when downloading large files using all your bandwidth. Its the same with a home webserver only instead of pulling in files, your serving them(that is if your have a popular site.)

Simple file sharing among friends will work fine from a home lan or static ip address, but don't expect to run a bussiness or stable web host that can handle the kind of traffic normal sites get. Your ISP may also block you from serving files if it sees regular requests to port 80 on your ip address as well.

Read some reviews on web hosts and their customer service records. This makes a big difference when trying to get support fo ryour website. Also, Domain names are cheap now a days. I think you can get them now for like $7.00 a year at some places(maybe less with hosting packages thrown in) but the hosting package you decide on will determine what you can host and how much it will cost. Average is about $100.00 a year for a host and $20.00 for the domain name with a respectable amount of disk space as well as use of things like php, cgi, MySql, etc. The rest is really up to you on deciding what you want people to see and interact with, but the possibilities are only limited by your imagination and ingenuity. If your still not sure, try a free web hsot service, like Yahoo's Geocities until you get an idea of what you want and how to build your site. Then migrate it to a domain for ad free and larger disk storage. Also, you may not be able to run a lot of thigns from free hosts and security features on most will block you from using server side scripting, which can be usefull for richer content from built in packages of your hosted site.

Ok just wanted to let u all know that I'm not in ANY position to host my own website. I do have a host that hosts my website. I was just wondering what the procedure is for hosting a website and registering a domain name. I didn't exactly mean that I'm going to host a website tomorrow. Just interested in something like u know.... I decide that I'm going to have a test.com website and what do I do. I find a PC that is online 24/7 and what next? I just wanted to know how hosting companies work and how domain names are assigned. Or is it just something like whoever thinks of a domain name first can register it. The thing that bothers me though is how do u tell the whole world that a certain domain name is already taken if the server that is hosting it is down. For example my test.com goes offline, doesn't that mean that for those 15 minutes of offline time I don't really own that domain name? I don't get it :D Again, think more in terms of how does the whole thing work, rather than how do I host my own website :D

Thanks for the reply's so far.

I'm pretty sure you can register a domain name through GoDaddy, Geocities, etc. Most hosting companies have domain registration. I think (if I'm wrong, tell me) that once you register a domain name for a certain amount of time (for example, 1 year) it goes into a registry that says it's taken (in this example for one year), so I don't think someone could just steal it from you.

Yes, whoever registers/thinks of a domain name first gets it. For future reference, when posting a topic like this one, try to give as much detail as possible.

First think of the domain name you want ie yourname.com or myname.org etc then find a registrar, put you domain into their who is search to see if that domain has been registered before if no ones has taken it grab, it pay the registration fee and then that name is your until it expires 1 year, some registratar give your the first 2 or 3 years type deals. Then you need an actual server to point that domain to. This is your web host or if your going to use your own machine to serve you need a static IP. Talk to your ISP about that, the registrar will make a DNS entree pointing your domain name to the host IP. That all there is too it now design your web page and upload it to the server.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=D...amp;btnG=Search

there are master computers "super computers that are nothing more then dns servers that hold all the information that you are talking about once u get that domain name it is yours for as long as you pay for it because the dns leases that test.com to the ip address that the site is on. so the best way for you to start out is by trying a free one out it there cool to start of with the problem with that is when you get the name of the site it will look something like geocitys/site1/test.com

there are master computers "super computers that are nothing more then dns servers that hold all the information that you are talking about once u get that domain name it is yours for as long as you pay for it because the dns leases that test.com to the ip address that the site is on. so the best way for you to start out is by trying a free one out it there cool to start of with the problem with that is when you get the name of the site it will look something like geocitys/site1/test.com

and on that note whats a good free host I know Geocitys and Tripod what do people here use?  or what has the fewest adds and banners and shit? I'm looking for a free host to put up a personal site for friends and family and post pic and video.

Angelfire used to beone of the better ones. And they also had a nice tool you could use to pull in files from other sites. I used to use them to pull in mo3 files to my angelfire page and then rename them to text to get them through the firewall at work. Works for any file type that fits within your storage limit on angerlfire. Have not used them in about 6 years now, so I don't know what the space limit is or if they even still sue the transcoder script to pull files from any url to your angelfire storage locker. Geocities and Tripos seemed to have too many ads, and angelfire ads can be chosen where to place them and to turn them off for yourself(but not to visitors), although there are some css things you can do to hide the ads and stuff.