Your feelings on DRM

phrax

Let's get our hate on.

What do you think about DRM?

I think DRM is terrible. It is a counter-productive security measure, especially when it comes to the typical end-user of the iTunes music store, for example. They aren't gonna know what's going on when they can't copy their home music onto their work computer. Of course, there's the traditional reason, that music deserves to be open and liberated, but let's face it, if music was free, we wouldn't have musicians. People need to make money. Although at the same time, artists were making money before the DRM regime entered stage left (not stage right... see what I did there?). Also, it brings bad will to the organisation. Just like Sony's retarded restrictions on all their media (including Sony BMG *cough*rootkit*cough*).

DRM is a disaster, and I think it's a step in the wrong direction for protection of music.

Ultimately its a loosing card. But luckily for us, we've already won this battle. Labels want to move away from DRM and towards retroactive revenue collection for pirated music. Your DRM free download ends up on a p2p network? You pay for every copy downloaded. But the long and short of it is, since napster a whole generation realized they could get music for free its very hard to find reasons for buying music again, especially if your apatite for music exceeds your budget. And ironically the people who listen to the most music are young people with limited incomes and broadband. DRM was simply the first of many attempts to stop a large amount of people who steal without any qualms.

One thing I do wonder about, how much does it cost to fill an iPod with legal music?

Ultimately the huge record company's are fucked due to there own greedy machinations. The smaller ones, the ones owed by artists or a bunch of pill heads who happened on a vinyl press by accident, they're going to make something out of the current mess.

I haven't really encountered DRM's yet, but in general I disagree with them.  If anything, I've purchased more music because of "free downloading".  I don't want to spend money on something I'm not sure will be worth it.  If I enjoy the tracks I've downloaded, I'll go and buy the album, and probably others like it.

I read an article written about itunes vs jazz preservation .. its a bit off topic, but its an interesting perspective on digital music.

http://www.harlem.org/itunes/index.html

I'm really glad that amazon and apple, and other such corporations are pushing for the removal of DRMs. 

As far as making money off music, how much do you think the artist actually gets per song/album these days when they're signed to a major label?  I bet most of the revenue comes from live shows sponsored by other large corporations and $30+ ticket sales.

My main concern about DRM is the amount of history that we're throwing away. Imaging a Film Studies course in 50 years time, "well, we were going to watch the original Matrix class, but the company who invented the encryption method can't find the keys anymore so here is an old man who remembers seeing it".

My main concern about DRM is the amount of history that we're throwing away. Imaging a Film Studies course in 50 years time, "well, we were going to watch the original Matrix class, but the company who invented the encryption method can't find the keys anymore so here is an old man who remembers seeing it".
ohh dont worry I still have that key it's 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0...

the one good thing about DRM is that there wil alwasy be someone to crack it

But not everything is widely used enough to be cracked. We have digital technology now, we can record everything perfectly for posterity. Why fuck then up with DRM? At the *very* least things like the libary of congress, British library or other national archives should get DRM free copies of everything.

DRM is created form greed

it costs money to add DRM to music. people see this and want to cash in on it by forcing it upon other companies

for example. microsoft, apple, real, and adobe are being sued because there offering their own content free of DRM

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9674.cfm

though unlikely but if this company wins,  these companies will be forced to pay this random company  to drm the hell out of their own content that was meant to be given out for free.

DRM only causes everyone to use P2P. theres no point in paying  for a song when the free version is of a higher quality  and of more value.

would you pay $1 for a song that only works in 1 mp3 player or  certain programs

or would you rather spend $0 for a song that works in any mp3 player and any program.

lucky for me, many of the artist that I buy music from offer their music on their site with no DRM  and some of them  even use FLAC format  (lossless audio that sounds extremely good on high end headphones)

DRM offers no business advantages. in real life,  if you own a store thats across the street from walmart, to compete you will have to lower prices  because that will  encourage people to buy from you as you have lower prices.

but what incentive does  DRM music offer for you to buy it.

if you went to a mall and there were 2 stores right next to each other. and both were selling the 10K RPM hard drive you wanted. 

but the store on the left  charged 30% more and required you to sign a contract to only use the drive on a computer from their store.

and the store on the right  sold the  drive for a cheap price and offered a extended warranty at no charge.  which would you buy from.

the world is all about business and if you want people to  buy from you, you need to offer something  that makes your service better than another's

DRM only adds limitations,  limitations cant compete with  free and no limits