The New fourms

Kateweb

Hear are some answers to some questions about the new forum . Feel free to ask questions, and I or one of the mods/admis will edit this post when the Wiki comes back up I will post this their as well.

Q  Why a new forums?

A  their are many many reasons for the change over one of them being PHPBB is a pain in the ass to manage. the new forum  system has better administrative control to make it easier on or admis & moderators to do house cleaning.

Q  what is the New forum system based on ?

A  Small Machines Forums (SMF)

Q What makes SMF better then PHPbb?

A as already mentioned PHPbb is a pain to mange. SMF also has better spam control, and more stability for upgrading.

Q Will I Lose all my posts from PHPbb ?

A no VaKo has spent countless hours to make this transition as smooth as possible and you will NOT lose your post count  . The thing is to remember that the admis can reduce your post count if you are trying to get a rank, it is about quality not quantity.

Q My avatar is all messed up, What gives?

A Simple fact is the new servers need some tweaking, the Show is now is now in a 16:9 format and the fourms don't seem to like the new pulldown,  Darren and VaKo  are working on a putting the SMF on a diet pill to fix this. More on this to come.

This has now been fixed

Q " oh Noos I can't post links"

A you have to meet a minimum quality post count to be able to  post links

Q what that thing at the top of the page ?

A it's a new box pertaining to hak.5 and the community

Q What is this "user reputation" thing?

A this is a way of showing the quality of a users posts, if a member has a number of questionable or inappropriate then their reputation will be a negative one. on the other had if a user has a reputation of helping other users and posting on topic and useful post they will gain a positive  reputation.  A user with a very bad reputation  may be subject to administrative action and possibly  being banned from the Hak.5 forums.

Q how do I change my style ?

A  as of right now you can not change the viewing style of the board , everyone gets to see the cool Blue with Grey

Q what is new in the new system?

A the forums now have a spell check feature, also community moderation that will allow members to flag a post that is in need of administrator attention.

Yeah, its about finished now. So if you spot a problem (the report to moderator function isn't 100%  i know about this) tell me. I have a log of user names, IP's and errors so I should be able to fix it.

The avatar stretching is due to the server's diet. You see, back on dreamhost they had a 10 mile a week treadmill program for all servers 2U and above. Over at the new place they just let the racks pig out on tasty cakes, microshaft snackz0rz, and whatever else comes across the ether.

Hopefully we'll find the slimfast plugin for SMF soon.

Alternate explanation: With the show going 16:9 the forums are experiencing a problem with the 4-3 Pulldown and the pixels have gone from square 640x480 to that craptastic 720x486. It's true, the camera does add 20 pounds.

I would suggest the "Mark ALL messages as read" button on the main forum page for marking everything as read, it's below all the categories.

And yeah the blacklisted urls error when quoting someone is annoying, especially when you don't have any urls in it. Couldn't post anything when I had used the quote link to reply, even when I removed everything.

I would suggest the "Mark ALL messages as read" button on the main forum page for marking everything as read, it's below all the categories.

And yeah the blacklisted urls error when quoting someone is annoying, especially when you don't have any urls in it. Couldn't post anything when I had used the quote link to reply, even when I removed everything.

Ohhh... Purdy!

It's going to take me sixty seconds to get used to the new forums. 

LOL VaKo asked me to do some work on this, seeing as he has a bit of a workload, I am fairly sure most people are adjusting well- or at least I hope so.

Your first post upon joining cannot contain a link, as 90% of people who post a link as there first post are spammers. After that there are no limits. User rep is just for fun, and is pretty indicative of what people think of your posts. No action will be taken due to bad rep on its own.

User rep is just for fun, and is pretty indicative of what people think of your posts. No action will be taken due to bad rep on its own.

I noticed I could sit there all day giving you rep, although only once an hour people could build up a rep real quick this way....

Hmmm.... lets see who don't I like

I noticed I could sit there all day giving you rep, although only once an hour people could build up a rep real quick this way....

Hmmm.... lets see who don't I like

Obviously user reputation is there to let you more easily suck up to the admins. The potential brownnoser no longer need to type anything out, all it requires is a simple click. The advantages for the admins is great as well since they don't have to read long posts to see how much they are loved, just one glance at their profile page is enough to validate their fragile egos. Leaving them a lot more time to get drunk and ban random users for fun.

Obviously user reputation is there to let you more easily suck up to the admins. The potential brownnoser no longer need to type anything out, all it requires is a simple click. The advantages for the admins is great as well since they don't have to read long posts to see how much they are loved, just one glance at their profile page is enough to validate their fragile egos. Leaving them a lot more time to get drunk and ban random users for fun.

Why do I get the feeling your going to come back every hour and give me bad rep??

Why do I get the feeling your going to come back every hour and give me bad rep??

I actually haven't given anyone a vote in either direction yet. The first time is going to be special.

Every Karma system in any forums is most likely to get abused.  Let's just enjoy it while it lasts ;)