need help isp is cracking down on download.

lilweezy

my isp has started cracking down on people who download illegal music and stuff. i was j/w is there away to make my ip not show up when i download or is there away to give out a fake one.

'm assuming you meant just wondering instead of J W

So I'll say yes you could send a fake IP but then you'd never get anything back because it would all go to the fake IP you sent.

You could use a proxy that would make the IP of the proxy appear to be your IP

Or you could use TOR http://tor.eff.org

but if your ISP is the one cracking down then they'll still "see" all the traffic coming and going to and from you... unless you use encryption but that's illegal in some places and not what you asked about.

i'd go get a new ISP if they interfiered in my DLs it not their job to police the internet. let us know who your ISP is that way we don't use them. :) I assume your talking about P2P stuff because if they're blocking ftp and http WOW is all I could think of.

my isp has started cracking down on people who download illegal music and stuff. i was j/w is there away to make my ip not show up when i download or is there away to give out a fake one.

Can you explain exactly what your ISP is doing? I've never heard of illegal music, it must be pretty radical to be banned. If what you actually mean is copyright infringement via P2P networks then a lot of modern Bittorrent clients support features like encryption to make it hard to tell what you are downloading.

if this is true then, most likly, the ISP is been paid by some one to do it. It's in there interest to egnor as much questionable use of there network as possible so then they don't have to do extra work (say, procude server logs) and they don't run the risk of loosing some one who pays them.

Dispite my interest in this topic, strickly speaking shouldn't this thread be locked for pricay advocation? The OP clarly states that they wish to avoid been cought downloading illegaly obtined content (actualy, he says he wishes to avoid downloadin illegal conent, but as far as I am aware there is no such thing and as illegal music). VaKo, Moonlit?

Well, despite my flippancy in my other post, there is such thing as illegal music in some countries (usually ones with theocratic governments). It's also possible music supporting Nazism would be illegal in Germany as well, and I suppose music inciting racial hatred might be illegal in the UK under the public order act.

However I doubt the OP lives in under a theocratic regime and I doubt he is downloading Nazi music in Germany or racially hateful music in the UK (and I've never even heard of possession of any music being prosecuted in Europe anyway).

I thought the legal deal was that an ISP is a carrier, and because of that cannot be held accountable for what its users do with the information gathered through them.

If they do end up inspecting your traffic, they lose carrier status, and become legally liable for your copyright infringements, if any.

I am SO not a lawyer...

Or you could use TOR http://tor.eff.org

Never user Tor for P2P, it can't take the load and your just abusing the system.

The OP clarly states that they wish to avoid been cought downloading illegaly obtined content (actualy, he says he wishes to avoid downloadin illegal conent, but as far as I am aware there is no such thing and as illegal music). VaKo, Moonlit?

Lets just take this as a theoretical, since we're all guilty of piracy here.

In all honesty, your best bet for not being caught is to use a BT client that allows encrypted connections (Azureus and the official client) and just remove the tick from the box that allows unencrypted fall-back connections.

I SO wish we were on SMF I want to make a few replies

However I doubt the OP lives in under a theocratic regime and I doubt he is downloading Nazi music in Germany or racially hateful music in the UK (and I've never even heard of possession of any music being prosecuted in Europe anyway).

No music or art or anything should ever be illegal.... I don't even think hate speech should be illegal.

Mabey he talking about the legal files you get through file sharing programs that are used for ileagl files.
If the files he's downloading are not illegal than he had nothing to worry about, and does not need to hide his IP. He didn't ask for a way to get around a block from an ISP he asked how not to get caught.
In all honesty, your best bet for not being caught is to use a BT client that allows encrypted connections (Azureus and the official client) and just remove the tick from the box that allows unencrypted fall-back connections.
and uTorrent

No music or art or anything should ever be illegal.... I don't even think hate speech should be illegal.

Well I don't make the law you know, I'm just stating the facts.

I had heard of some ISP that were going to start blocking P2P traffic ports and stuff like that as for the legality of what is DL from them I used shareaza to DL my Debian iso last week. if they blocked that would suxor. :(

No one has asked the question, but does he have proof that his ISP is doing this? Or is it just that he doesnt know what he is talking about?

Well I don't make the law you know, I'm just stating the facts.

This was not agenst you in anyway sorry if it seemed like it...