VISTA - Anyone?

kickarse

Just curious if anyone else has used Vista?

I just installed Vista Ultimate on my laptop (TurionX2 1.6ghz, 1gb DDR, 100gb SATA) and damn it was fast. I was able to have the the "eye candy" and it was very nice. It installed faster than XP, most drivers were installed. But I couldn't get my wireless to work.

BUT, it different. Very different. It's like going from XP to Ubuntu. After a little bit I was able to get into everything and all was good, but still. It is NOT XP with a face lift.

Though, it's not worth $400 for the Ultimate version. The eye candy was nice with it's blurring windows, 3d scrolling tabbing, etc. Just not worth it.

For now I'll stick with my XP and Vista transformation pack 6.

I'll get it with my next hardware upgrade (business notebook, not homebrew gaming rig), then I'll strip down all the sparkly glitter and remove all of the "user friendly" crap. Hopefully it'll just look like Windows 2000 and I'll just do the same thing I've always been doing with windows.

I'll get it with my next hardware upgrade (business notebook, not homebrew gaming rig), then I'll strip down all the sparkly glitter and remove all of the "user friendly" crap. Hopefully it'll just look like Windows 2000 and I'll just do the same thing I've always been doing with windows.

Business Ed.?

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same thing once all the drivers are out for Vista. But who know, it'll probably run the same. The effects don't get in the way like I thought they would.

All of the systems currently out will be at the low end of the "Recommended Spec" scale. I'll wait till the the pros out weigh the cons.

Completely untrue. Vista should work perfectly well on any decent computer made after 2003.

Ok, I'm sorry, I am a minimalist, I don't think any spiffy clock is worth slowing the programs I actually use. Now, I could be completely wrong again and Vista could be faster. But I highly doubt it. For those of you who are reading this and don't know or have never used Vista. I have never used Vista so my claims are unbased except for in Microsoft experience.

I pulled down ultimate (64 bit version) when it was released to MSDN, I dual boot it now (with XP). It's okay, I did notice that when I installed WoW it was noticeably faster than when I installed it on XP.

I have all the Aero Glass stuff turned on and it runs smooth for me. I am still trying to find ways to tweak certain things, a lot of things that I know how to get to in XP are either harder to get to or I haven't found them yet. It annoys the hell out of me when it asks you for permission to run certain programs, but doesn't ask for a root password. It still defaults to admin user rather than creating a root user and then creating an "everyday use" account. Other little things that I can't think of right off the top of my head that are mostly issues with getting used to it.

I still haven't made the decision as to when and if I am going to switch to it. I guess technically I have since I have forced myself to do everything in it but my trusty XP (stop laughing) is still there.

Oh yeah, I just remembered, somebody broke Samba. I stream stuff off my machine to my XBox and it stopped working when I installed Vista. I figured that I just needed to get off my lazy ass and set up a user (rather than using the guest account, I'm a bad boy) No matter what settings I used or security tweaks I tried I could not get access. I jumped on Google and found several forums of people with the same issue, turns out that Vista doesn't work with Samba. I sure hope someone gets this fixed soon because I can see a lot of people with NAS devices getting seriously pissed off when they suddenly can't get access.

If I think of anything else I'll probably think about posting it and then forget. By-product of getting old. :lol:

[snip..]

Oh yeah, I just remembered, somebody broke Samba. I stream stuff off my machine to my XBox and it stopped working when I installed Vista. I figured that I just needed to get off my lazy ass and set up a user (rather than using the guest account, I'm a bad boy) No matter what settings I used or security tweaks I tried I could not get access. I jumped on Google and found several forums of people with the same issue, turns out that Vista doesn't work with Samba. I sure hope someone gets this fixed soon because I can see a lot of people with NAS devices getting seriously pissed off when they suddenly can't get access.

If I think of anything else I'll probably think about posting it and then forget. By-product of getting old. :lol:

Back in October I was listening to an indepth interview with the guys from Samba, I am not sure which podcast it was, but the Samba guys were livid with Vista. They were saying that now, instead of 8 or so packets to open a directory using windows networking, it is now in the 1000s and that they are working to get it working. Samba 3 will support it.

Thanks for the links kickarse! Samba being able to access my shares was going to be a definite deal breaker as far as switching to Vista was concerned, I will try the fix when I get home tonight.

Either way I need to get motivated and get the stuff off my PC and onto something the whole network can use.........

Biggest problem is that a lot of the commercial products don't follow such news and don't release updates, much less tell their consumers about them.

**EDIT**

Fortunately, there are two ways to fix this problem. The first is just to force Vista to use the NTLM protocol as well as NTLM2. To do that, use these commands:

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager" authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Ta-da! My Vista workstation could use my Seagate drives.

found that, now I'm ok.

Like XP, I won't be upgrading until I can see a benefit. Also, I won't be upgrading anything until we know more about the DRM. I'm sick of MSN deleting MP3 files because they're "dangerous".

Look at this doc :

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

I took the time to read and if it's true, i definitely won't use vista.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i just ordered my vista ultimate OEM from newegg, but I think im going to wait a bit until I install it. I don't wanna install it then get pwned cause there is some crazy security hole, cause we all know that micro$oft always has security as there #1 concern...

But I'm still excited that there is a somewhat new OS on the market that I can Finally play with.

Like XP, I won't be upgrading until I can see a benefit. Also, I won't be upgrading anything until we know more about the DRM. I'm sick of MSN deleting MP3 files because they're "dangerous".

Look at this doc :

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

I took the time to read and if it's true, i definitely won't use vista.

There in a hard place, a lot of what there having to include is coming at the behest of major media company's, restrictive laws in place globally and the fact that *not* supporting DRM "standards" would kill Windows as a home media OS. The remote lockout function is a time bomb, and I would never use vista for anything mission critical simple due to that reason. All in all, I think Vista is a good OS smothered in unnecessary bullshit, and some of its design features have pushed me towards OSS and FOSS.

But, to play fair, if you read the above you should read the following.

Windows Vista Content Protection - Twenty Questions (and Answers)