VISTA - Anyone?

kickarse

I have played with it and that same old tuner down the Graphic stuff will not do it all that gets you is a lesser vista

you have to dig in and rip out services and disable security

only if you want to start diggin for some new crack on a new world would I even touch it on a home system that I worked to bring to life

it is the bane of a techs life

second only to the issue of ID10t

DX10 will get me to switch.
Or not...

Picked up Ultimate today.

As stated already, Vista is not XP with a facelift.

It's fairly different.

UAC is pretty neat. I suspect it'll help some old granny somewhere.

I disabled, myself.

I'm liking it so far. All my games work great.

I've gotten back into my Dawn of War addiction.

I'll get it with my next hardware upgrade (business notebook, not homebrew gaming rig), then I'll strip down all the sparkly glitter and remove all of the "user friendly" crap. Hopefully it'll just look like Windows 2000 and I'll just do the same thing I've always been doing with windows.

Even with classic mode enabled it still uses some fo the new toolbar and menus from Vista. It can be a little confusing with the new look and feel, but if you use several different flavors of Linux and their themes then you will get used to it pretty quickly. I am using the Business version in VMWare, so don't get all the fancy flip 3d and no sound drivers, but it's good for trying to break things and see whats going on. One thing that is a pain is the 30 day registration notice and the KMS posting every 180 days. I have gotten the 30 day countdown to stop counting down by turing off Defender and all non essential services, as well as setting the BIOS and OS date to January 2000. It has said 28 days left to register for about 2 months now. (It is the final version of Vista, Business Edition, not a Beta). I have also set the KMS server to not go to Microsoft but to a different server, so even if it wants to it doesn't call home for the registration.

Personally, I don't like Vista. Bloat and the need for such hardware upgrade, I'd rather set XP up with all that powerfull hardware. Vista is still too early tosee what is going to happen, and tons of hacks are coming out for it. The newest one, send a user an mp3 or audio link to a song, but only have it send "voice commands" to Vista's voice recognition, and you can own the box by making it turn off services, and starting other things like command prompt batch commands, etc.

For anyone using it currently, disable voice response and any agent programs running, as well as 99% of the Task Scheduler programs. Also, most services turned off is XP tweaks will need to go a bit further with Vista. There a lot more things to turn off on day one to get the best performance and speed from Vista. And if you have it on (Speed boost, etc) then you might as well plug in some flash drives or sd cards to get that extra memory speed, otherwise turn the services off. Most services will not be needed for the average user (I know, not many of you are the "average" user, so please, no flames).

I'll get it with my next hardware upgrade (business notebook, not homebrew gaming rig), then I'll strip down all the sparkly glitter and remove all of the "user friendly" crap. Hopefully it'll just look like Windows 2000 and I'll just do the same thing I've always been doing with windows.
Why are you afraid of glitter? And user friendlyness?

I'm surprised you have to ask.

The glitter should be turned off immediately because for the first hour of use it will give you the WOW feeling, but beyond that it'll just annoy you that you could've done something if only that stupid minimization effect didn't take 5 seconds to complete and practically eat up your entire CPU as it's doing it.

The "user friendliness" Darren is referring to is probably the huge amount of "Are you sure?" pop-ups. Their presence is explained as something to protect the user against his own misunderstanding of the OS. Yet when you do this shit for a living, it starts to get annoying and even downright insulting that *YES*, I *DO* want to change this registry setting. I wouldn't be changing it if I didn't.

I'm surprised you have to ask.

The glitter should be turned off immediately because for the first hour of use it will give you the WOW feeling, but beyond that it'll just annoy you that you could've done something if only that stupid minimization effect didn't take 5 seconds to complete and practically eat up your entire CPU as it's doing it.

The "user friendliness" Darren is referring to is probably the huge amount of "Are you sure?" pop-ups. Their presence is explained as something to protect the user against his own misunderstanding of the OS. Yet when you do this shit for a living, it starts to get annoying and even downright insulting that *YES*, I *DO* want to change this registry setting. I wouldn't be changing it if I didn't.

If you are doing anything that requires high use of the processor then I would agree but most users are Browsing the web and playing java games downloaded from yahoo. If you have a processor then use it, else run out and grab a $200 computer and use 98. I would even say use 2000.

If you have a processor then use it, else run out and grab a $200 computer and use 98. I would even say use 2000.

You could always go with that new "dorito" chip I have been hearing about...

Okay just reinstalled Vista on my lappy...

I got the footprint for running windows down to about 380mb, 1gb of ram is what I have to play with.

Anyone have any other suggestions for getting it closer to Win XP?

Aero off it's about the same. WDM eats up only about 8mb...

When I get a new computer in about two months I will probably get Vista. A lot of the features they say I'll probably disable but since I am getting a new computer, hell, why not get Vista. The only problem I am having is what version of Vista should I get?

The only problem I am having is what version of Vista should I get?

MAC OS X

:lol:

I saw that comic also. I'm going to get a macbook pro later in my life but for now I'm getting vista because my parents have enough trouble learning how to use windows so I have to find a version to get.