Kali on Nexus vs Android

Rainman_34

There are certain devices and hardware, that Kali works on from an "out of the box" standpoint, as in, they have pre-made images for them and have been tested to work with this hardware. You can however roll your own and try to get them working on other devices(and this would be encouraged). If you do, you can always document and show how you did it as well, so others can test and help fix any issues like wifi support, screen support, etc, to have greater community support for newer devices.

Right now, Nexus and OnePlus devices are the main supported ones that have pre-made images for them though - https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-nethunter-download/

I'm not so interested until a android device works out of the box and has atheros chip.

in the past, I have read about wifi attacks from android you need a usb wifi card and powered usb/hub that supports monitor mode.  this would look super ugly hanging out of your back pocket.

Edited by i8igmac

2 hours ago, i8igmac said:

I'm not so interested until a android device works out of the box and has atheros chip.

in the past, I have read about wifi attacks from android you need a usb wifi card and powered usb/hub that supports monitor mode.  this would look super ugly hanging out of your back pocket.

I agree with the ugly pocket; however I do like the idea of using nethunter on a phone while wardriving. It's easier to use my mobile device and slap an alpha card onto my passenger side window or driver side window as opposed to using a laptop.

maybe another year my wish will come true. Kali android atheros... 

I have installed kali on a droid incredible with vm. but its not so useful in my opinion. Metasploit is unusable because of its size. I guess you could run arpspoofing but this day is not so effective due to hsts and I already mentioned the wifi.

Pray with me to the hardware gods for autheros droid 8core.

5 hours ago, Decoy said:

I agree with the ugly pocket; however I do like the idea of using nethunter on a phone while wardriving. It's easier to use my mobile device and slap an alpha card onto my passenger side window or driver side window as opposed to using a laptop.

I have a nfc sticker on my dash that fires up wigle then waze.  Sits right next to my phone mount.  I'm sure I'm missing a few hidden networks now and then, but the convenience is better than firing up my laptop and running kismet.

I had an OTG to usb A and used a mini dongle like the one for the nano.  worked great and didnt need a separate power source.  I also used a tp-link wn722n and didnt need an external battery to power that.  I used a nexus 6p. 

I have a Nexus 5 but I've never bothered with Kali Nethunter. I'm curious to install it on my phone and how well it goes but I've never done it and probably never will. Don't needz it when I haz lots of other tools. :P

Nexus 5 is seriously a phone worth getting, though with the Nexus 5X out I can't really justify getting the Nexus 5 over the 5X. 5X has a bigger battery, better NFC compatibility (something I find very frustrating with the Nexus 5) and overall better performance and power. Not to mention better camera., however the Nexus 5 was still a benchmark of a phone though, still is for older phones, and even some newer ones.