for your safety

Kateweb

Never never nave and I mean never ever under any sercumstaces plug in an IDE cable wile the computer is hot.

I say this beacuse I have found wile cleaning my appartment the first power supply I ever blew up I kept it to remind myself not to be stupid.

I actually did this with a floppy drive once. This was in the old days when floppy drives had a GAZILLION jumpers on the back of them and very little in the way of description for what everything was.

I had just removed the old, clunky 5.25" floppy drive from my machine. That drive REQUIRED to be A: so I managed to set the 3.5"floppy drive to B: using the jumpers years before. With the 5.25" one gone I wanted the 3.5" one to be A: again, so I tried a jumper combo, turned the machine on. Didn't work.

Turned it off, tried a different combo, turned it on. Didn't work.

Eventually I got so tired of having to turn the machine off and on again, that I figured 'fuck it' and began changing jumpers while the machine was on.

Now, this particular floppy drive had the drive mechanism somewhat exposed on the bottom. There was this huge disc at the bottom that would rotate along with the floppy. As I was changing jumpers all of a sudden that thing began to spin up like crazy, and make a clear "whooooOOOOOOO" sound.

I unplugged the thing, and it was really hot to the touch. Of course, that was also the last time that drive moved.

So yeah, unless it's advertised as such, things aren't hot-swappable.

When I was 16, at a LAN party, I plugged in a floppy molex incorrectly. Not sure how I managed to get it one pin off, but it was in a dark corner of this case and I couldn't exactly see what was going on. I pluggin in the floppy, started to wonder why it wasnt booting off the bios flash disk i inserted. Went to unplug it and it was burning hot to the touch. After a nice little 2nd degree burn I unplugged the fried PSU and realized my mistake. The molex had melted onto the floppy.

When I was 16, at a LAN party, I plugged in a floppy molex incorrectly. Not sure how I managed to get it one pin off, but it was in a dark corner of this case and I couldn't exactly see what was going on. I pluggin in the floppy, started to wonder why it wasnt booting off the bios flash disk i inserted. Went to unplug it and it was burning hot to the touch. After a nice little 2nd degree burn I unplugged the fried PSU and realized my mistake. The molex had melted onto the floppy.

did you keep it ? these days tehy call that modern art XD