rip dvds

mrcool221

well since we have consumer rights to "backup" our paid for content i dont see anything wrong with ripping a copy to your harddrive. i do it all the time. what works best for me is a nifty little program called Any DVD, this automatically removes DRM from any dvd, or cd that you have in your drive. then i select the proper .vob files from the dvd and run them through divx converter. and voila. i have a perfectly good dvd quality movie ready to be played. the good thing about using divx is that it compresses the movie down to around a gig. and alot of new dvd players support divx so you can burn 8 movies in divx format to a single dual layer dvd ready to be played.

this should only be taken if you are inn a non dcma applicable country, use anydvd to remove protection, dvd decrypter to rip the vob's, then autogk (automated Gordian knot) to rip to either xvid or divx. note all software excluding anydvd is open source/freeware. i recommend using xvid as it givs greater quality. please use this on home dvd's onl and not commercial dvd's

if you have anydvd running you dont need to use a seperate program to rip the .vob files you can just copy and paste them wherever you want you can save them to your harddrive to be encoded later or you can just simply drag them into any dvd burning program. when you look at the vob files on the disk you can pick out which ones are the movie and which ones are extras like previews and commentaries. the main feature is always broken up into seperate .vob files its never one continous file. if you are unsure which ones are the main feature you can use VLC player (which is free to download) to play the raw .vob files. that way you can see whats what before you burn them to a disk or convert them. this comes in handy beacuse instead of burning the whole dvd you can save space by just burning the main feature.

http://chevronx.com/?p=15

Turning a DVD into an AVI file is quite easy, however it takes a lot of time, and can take at least a couple of hours to decrypt and encode the DVD. So you just leave it going over night!

You need only 2 programs to do this, DVD Decrypter and Auto GK!

Step 1: RIP

Put in a DVD and launch DVD Decrypter. Choose IFO (Information File) mode:

Now make sure you’ve selected a destination for your files:

Now you need to find which program chain to rip (PGC). Pick the one that’s the longest, which is usually the movie:

Everything’s set up. Just click the green arrow and wait about twenty minutes, after which you will have a set of files in the Destination directory you selected earlier.

Step 2: ENCODE

Launch AutoGK and select the first .vob that you just ripped as an input file, and set an output file name:

Now you need to select audio (choose the first one) and subtitles, if any:

The preferred size for a movie is around 700-800Mbytes, for a TV Episode it is around 350Mbytes.

Finally, click on advanced settings and choose MP3 VBR 128kbs:

Then click “add job†and “start.†It will then begin encoding the video and audio streams, this is where it will take quite a few hours and it will swap between programs automatically, as some programs do things better then others, so don’t be alarmed.

Step 4: Watch the Movie

You’re done. Delete all the all the non-avi files, and that’s it! You have just turned a DVD into an AVI file that you can simply share around with your friends.

if you have anydvd running you dont need to use a seperate program to rip the .vob files you can just copy and paste them wherever you want you can save them to your harddrive to be encoded later or you can just simply drag them into any dvd burning program. when you look at the vob files on the disk you can pick out which ones are the movie and which ones are extras like previews and commentaries. the main feature is always broken up into seperate .vob files its never one continous file. if you are unsure which ones are the main feature you can use VLC player (which is free to download) to play the raw .vob files. that way you can see whats what before you burn them to a disk or convert them. this comes in handy beacuse instead of burning the whole dvd you can save space by just burning the main feature.

copying and pasting vob files is not recommend some of the commercial dvd's have a latency between the audio and video that can fixed by using dvd decrypter if not in the end video this can be notice during playback.Also dvd decrypter it gives the ability to rip the movie section as a whole and not it say 1gb pieces. also in dvd decrypter it allow you to remove unnecessary data such as additional sound, video and subtle tracks this is useful for batch ripping large amount's of dvd's where space is limitied

why it's better to use dvd decrypter

copying and pasting vob files is not recommend some of the commercial dvd's have a latency between the audio and video that can fixed by using dvd decrypter if not in the end video this can be notice during playback.Also dvd decrypter it gives the ability to rip the movie section as a whole and not it say 1gb pieces. also in dvd decrypter it allow you to remove unnecessary data such as additional sound, video and subtle tracks this is useful for batch ripping large amount's of dvd's where space is limitied

why it's better to use dvd decrypter

good point however i recomended using Any dvd in combination with the Divx converter this way it uses the ac3 filter to automatically interlace the sound and video. the reson i use this combination is because Any dvd automatically removes DRM then i copy the .vob files right into divx converter and out pops a perfectly playable audio video interlaced divx file. it automatically puts them into one continuous playing file not separate files. another reason i like using divx converter is that it will convert to a high definition divx file if i choose. so i can stream high def content from my cable box to my pc hard drive and then convert it to a high def divx file that i can playback on my high def TV. i wouldnt recomend using dvd decrypter its an unessecary step and a waste of time when you can just use one simple program to do it all, and i say one program because Any dvd runs in the backround all you nned to do is convert. dont get me wrong im not saying that your method is bad im just telling you guys why i use what i use to convert, rip, and burn.

good point however i recomended using Any dvd in combination with the Divx converter this way it uses the ac3 filter to automatically interlace the sound and video. the reson i use this combination is because Any dvd automatically removes DRM then i copy the .vob files right into divx converter and out pops a perfectly playable audio video interlaced divx file. it automatically puts them into one continuous playing file not separate files. another reason i like using divx converter is that it will convert to a high definition divx file if i choose. so i can stream high def content from my cable box to my pc hard drive and then convert it to a high def divx file that i can playback on my high def TV. i wouldnt recomend using dvd decrypter its an unessecary step and a waste of time when you can just use one simple program to do it all, and i say one program because Any dvd runs in the backround all you nned to do is convert. dont get me wrong im not saying that your method is bad im just telling you guys why i use what i use to convert, rip, and burn.

Thanks for the new method. In your method how does one interleave the 5.1 audio stream instead of the stereo :?: If one decrypts it 1st, one can de-interleave the audio stream in the decrypting process. How can this b done using any dvd?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the new method. In your method how does one interleave the 5.1 audio stream instead of the stereo :?: If one decrypts it 1st, one can de-interleave the audio stream in the decrypting process. How can this b done using any dvd?

Thanks in advance

this is not done using "Anydvd" the only thing that i use "Anydvd" for is removing the Drm of the dvd that i am ripping. all of the encoding is done with the Divx Create bundle program. this is where the magic happens. i just drag the files that i want to convert into the divx converter and let it loose. it uses a little thing called AC3 filter to interlace the 5.1 surround sound in with the video. and playback sounds great on my creative soundblster card in combination with my hometheater system.

I just started using this combo today and will find out if it works when I get home so I will let you all know, anyway.........

I had been using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink for some time but I noticed that they were not able to handle some newer (mostly Disney) DVDs. I picked up a copy (freeware that is) of Ripit4Me and FixVTS. Ripit4Me looks like a wrapper of sorts that uses the other three programs as well.

First I use ripit4me to strip the DRM, it then hands off to DVD Decryptor for the (duh!) decryption. At this point you can use FixVTS if needed and then use DVD Shrink to author your new DVD. The only thing left for me to do when I get home is swap out the DVD for a blank and see if it works.

One day I will just slap down the cash for a beefy file server to hold Divx rips of all my DVDs so I don't have to worry about the discs anymore.

I do about the same thing, only I like to rip to ogm because it has chapter support, multi-audio support, and subtitles. I believe Matroska has about the same thing though.

In Windows, I use RipIt4Me, and then use dvd2ogm to rip it to an ogm. On my laptop with the CPU limited to about 500 MHz because of heating issues, it takes about 3 times the length of the movie from rip to encoding to copying over to my file server. I also use an Xvid 2 pass setup with a file size somewhere between 1 GB and 1.4 GB. If it is more compressable (old movies/shows like Monty Python) it shrinks it down some more. Works for me.

ya thats cool divx dosnt have chapter support. but since i play all of my movies off of my media center pc onto my tv,i dont really need it. but if youre going to burn them to cd's i think thats a good feature to have.

Divx is only the video codec. The reason I use xvid and ogg audio instead of the standard divx and mp3 is that they are both open source. Ogm is the container, as opposed to avi, mkv, mp4, or mpg to name a few. Mkv and ogm seem fairly similar, though mkv tends to be a bit more popular from what I've seen. They both support chapters, multiple audio, and multiple subtitles. They seem to have been made for DVDs. You still need a player that supports all their features though to make use of them. Mplayer and Media Player Classic both work fine though.

Where do you playback your ogm files, Erroneous? I normally stream my files using XBox Media Center. I've also had my eye on a Creative Zen Vision W so I would be curious as to how widely supported the format is.

When I convert something into a file I am using Auto Gordian Knot and the Xvid codec to make .avi's. I am fairly certain AGK uses mp3 for audio.

Mplayer and Media Player Classic both work fine though.

I use XBMC, though I haven't tried to use it for an OGM file yet. Should work though since it uses mplayer, which is what I use anyway.

For making the ogm file, I use dvd2ogm which lets me set things like how I want to do the audio (mp3, ogg, or just mux it in) and what codec to use. Like I said, I go all open source with ogg audio and xvid.

personally i like handbrake (MAC, in my case OSX TIGER). It is simple, has lots of options for audio and video, lets you preview the image quality at different resolutions, and is pretty user friendly, and FREE.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I've backed up all my dvd's (over 250) with it and never had one fail, get corrupted, or turn out crappy. Works every time flawlessly.

CONS: CPU HOGG!!!!, Alone it takes up 80 - 100% of the cpu and after an hr you can imagine it gets pretty hot. [/url]

CONS: CPU HOGG!!!!, Alone it takes up 80 - 100% of the cpu and after an hr you can imagine it gets pretty hot.

Video requires power. That's the end of that conversation really, encoding/transcoding video will eat your CPU cycles for breakfast especially on a lower end system.

You would expect something like this to kill your CPU, you're processing a hell of a lot of data there and your CPU's gonna work flat out until it's done.

there was a techtv article a LONG while back about this.

basically there were only 3 tools

dvd decrypter

dvdshrink

nero

there was another tool ive used in the past called dvdxcopy

all of these are fairly good solutions for backing up dvds

yeah, moonlit you are correct, figured it was worth mentioning, considering i was singing the programs praises, always good to mention the cons with the pros and all that, others who read the thread may not have the same expectations or know that it is a given, just didnt want someone to be like wtf i cant do anythign while this program is running, w/out knowing why.