What would you like to learn regarding C++

killzone

Hey all, I recently was offered a job teaching an interductory course in C++ at a local college. I was wondering what those of you, wether in college, plannig on going, or that have graduated, would have liked to have learned in such a course if it was avalibble.

I will consider all suggestions and incorperate applicable ideas into my exhisting curriculum.

Thanks!

what sort of students are you expecting? If you are trying to make people like programming, I would consider application programming, which is something more "usuable" for those who are insexperienced. On the other hand, your students may be different

I would think the most important thing to get across to new code monkeys is to learn how to solve the problem. Then C++ would just be the syntax used. Maybe a couple hours over pseudocode which I honestly thought was a joke until I was forced to use it on a group project. Even if each person is working on a different part of the application, everyone understands pseudocode so it puts everyone on the same page.

Then after the class if they really dont like the feel of C++, they can atleast try other languages however be armed with the knowledge of what it takes to actually solve the problem.

Now if it was an advanced class, they would know all this already and then you could teach winsock 2 providers... as that is what Im trying to learn now.

Things I would like to learn in a c++ class are how the compiler intrprets code. For example what does this actually do, and why:

int a = 2;

int b = 3;

int c = a+++b; // yes thats supposed to be three +'s

or why this doesn't work:

something<somthingelse<int>> d; // no space between the >'s

Other things like the Preprocessor, Unions, and Bitwise operators would also be useful to learn. Thats all stuff I didn't ever learn in any of my CS classes because they were deemed usless. However I use them all the time, and they are esential tools to any good c++ programmer.

Oh, and Creativity, too. It's one thing to look up an ADT in a book some where and implement it, but when you are implementing something new and different, having a creative mind can be very helpful.

As a comp sci student, I have to say I love the format my teacher uses:

You have problem sets to do, work on them in class (and at home if you want to), you will have a test on this day.

Pretty simple. We spend 95% of the time in the class coding, and it's the most efficient way.

One note: allow some open-endedness on coding problems. If a kid wants to do something cool and fun with an assignment, let them, and help teach them.

Also, not allowing students to use break; outside of switches will annoy the hell out of them, but it'll also help them learn to code well. I know I've hated my comp sci teacher for it, but it also helped me when I was learning loop use.

One note: allow some open-endedness on coding problems. If a kid wants to do something cool and fun with an assignment, let them, and help teach them.

I agree with that, when i was at uni if i wanted to improve the assignment i would actually lose marks for it. But if you ask me if a student wants to take the assignment one step further you should encourge it.

*STRUCTURE*!

Seriously. Get some of the actual OO concepts into their brain that leads to the logical breakup of the problem into understandable classes. If you do this right they will thank you even if they later switch to other languages (which would then be a lot easier).

if you do teach your students about RATs and keyloggers, you are sure to have them at the edge of their chairs!

what sort of students are you expecting? If you are trying to make people like programming, I would consider application programming, which is something more "usuable" for those who are insexperienced. On the other hand, your students may be different

Whoops!

thanks for the suggestions, most of them are things I also took away from my own learning experience. I had an unbelievable teacher, who was also a well known hacker (80's and 90's), and really pushed concepts, thinking outside the box, and good code practice, efficiency, and standardization into our heads. SO i have a good model based on those ideas already....thanks for all you suggestion in this regard however.

I will be teaching students who have either little or no experience writing code in c++, however i do expect to get some student who are as gifted as the people in this community are and the other suggestions are good for that as well.

As for actual programs like keyloggers, rats, and other "malicious" programs, most institutions would fire you for teaching that outright. However I am not opposed and the institution would have no cause for termination if i simply gave students the knowledge and tools to accomplish this on their own. You know provide pieces of the puzzle, and a guide.

so thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming!! project ideas also welcome....an example: ATM simulation to determine wait times at peak hours and weather or not it is viable for a bank to install a second atm . (not to exciting i know but practical)