The HDK?

bytedeez

Extra outputs/inputs such as LED's, LCD screen, Number/Letter LED Displays, buttons, switches, sensors, GPS, Accelerometer, light sensor, etc.

It's to help/encourage the community to push the pineapple to do things that Seb/Darren haven't thought of or haven't been able to make a priority over what is already included on the MKV.

I speak for myself when i say i don't think i'll be planning to use the expansion slot anytime soon unless im mind blown by what it can be used for the HDK to me doesn't really interest me yet im not a fan up open circuit boards being exposed to the kinda elements im in maybe if they are closed from being exposed from the elements then maybe but thats just me. I haven't bother with the Pi because of this reason it was supposed to be a $25 computer but after all the money you gotta spend on the features i can buy a laptop for that price :B

Why not just use a bbb or pi instead of hak5 having a totally different board. There is far more support for those devices

The HDK is just used to help create hardware for the pineapple. Its not supposed to be used in the final product of the hardware its just for creating it. Once you create the hardware then you strip away the board and just have the final product left that connects directly to the GPIO on the pineapple

Do you have any further details about the HDK? Release date and expected price?

Eagle files should be released imminently according to another thread.

I'd hope it would be around $20 based on the slide from the DEFCON presentation, to about $25 at the top end (allowing for a 2.5x multiplier)? There doesn't seem to be much at all to it: some logic level conversion and a (probably) Atmel micro-processor in a TQFP 32 package.

I wish I got to see the design earlier on so that I could have provided some feedback! I can't help but feel that some easy wins have been missed (if the slide does indeed show the RTM product). Biggest issue: looks like you need a soldering iron from the get-go as the board doesn't have any stock I/O or header for the pins. That is a hard sell to the masses.

As for the software side of the HDK, I'm not massively confident yet... With no default I/O for the HDK to take advantage I'm interested as to what the HDK will actually do. Just load sketches? What API will allow the Pineapple and Arduino to communicate? I guess things will become clearer as more details emerge.

I'd love to see some processing power be offloaded to the board at little energy cost. I also hope that the developers remember what the pineapple was created for and don't go off topic to far. Don't get me wrong infusions like dump1090 are cool and I do enjoy it but I didn't buy a pineapple just to watch planes ;)