HELP I need a router

my wifi router went down last night in a storm and I need to get it back up... My question is there any way i can hook my pineapple up to my home modem for internet connection and use it as a router I know by the sheer nature of the cards I should be able to but just need a push in the right direction. I was wanting to hook the modem directly into a windows 8.1 tower that i use as my media server then get internet to the pineapple but i only have one ethernet card on the tower but multiple NICS. Also is there anyway to hook the pineapple directly to my home modem i could not get it to pull anything from the modem

Edited by ceopirate

I realize that its not very secure I just need wifi for some other things im doing and need a temporary fix until i can acquire a router if only I had a power supply for the extra board so I could make a temporary router out of it

I am not sure that is a good idea at all, do pineapples even have a firewall? I do know that it happens to be a pivot box, so on a security standpoint, using the pineapple would not be a good thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also in theory if i run it off my desktop everything should be stoped by its anti-virus at least i think it should

Also in theory if i run it off my desktop everything should be stoped by its anti-virus at least i think it should

AV doesn't stop everything, it's all about layers. For instance, my home router does NAT, so it is generally not possible to map hosts behind it, and it has a firewall, so people usually cannot send exploits through it. It filters them out. In addition I use AV on all computers. Additionally the WIFI is WPA2 encryption.

So are you hooking the pineapple directly to the internet, or is there an intermediary device?

Edited by overwraith

try this set the router IP address to 172.16.42.42 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and the pineapple should be on 172.16.42.1 so make sure no other device on your network conflicts with the pineapple's IP.

If i remember the pineapple was based of openwrt. So it might be possible to install openwrt. And then everything is on it to run it as full router.

You need to check with the pineapple people for this :p

Also you could setup the pineapple as a router. But i would only use it as a short temporary fix.

try this set the router IP address to 172.16.42.42 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and the pineapple should be on 172.16.42.1 so make sure no other device on your network conflicts with the pineapple's IP.

I still cannot get the pineapple to show an IP from the modem

The open wrt could be a option but not sure if the hardware can run it

The pineapple firmware is based off of open wrt but I am not sure if a vanilla copy of open-wrt would run it. This is a bad idea to do from a security stand point why not just run to wallmart or target or whatever local store you have and purchase a cheap wireless router?

So from the looks of things, yes, it should be possible but since nobody uses the Pineapple for this nobody's bothered to make an infusion for it which makes accomplishing this task with the Pineapple relatively hard. Hard enough for us to recommend you to consider cutting your losses and just buying a new router cheaply someplace. I'm sure people will help you to figure out how to solve the hard problem, but it'll take quite some time and effort, particularly from you, and you should wonder if that's really worth it to you.