Bricked MkV

St3v3

Hi,

I got my Mk V today.

Initial setup went ok, but then I got stick with a "entropy bunny" no matter what I tried to do, so I foolishly decided to do a power cycle.

Since then the connected computer just reports "Network Cable Unplugged".

I've tried the various dip settings (UUDDU, UUUUD, etc), to no joy.

I can't follow the flashing instructions as they assume network connectivity - which I've not got.

Is that the end of the line, already :-(

Steve

PS I used a ">" character in my root password, sorry, wasn't thinking.

Edited by St3v3

If I've got a Mk V that doesn't have a lan cable I can't quite follow the reflashing instructions (reset and connect via cable to 192.168.1.1).

So I want to push the "stager.bin" via wifi... but where does this file need to go to. The instructions say to use the "upload" link on the web page, but I can't access the web interface, I just want to dump the file to directly where it will be accessed, where is that ?

Many thanks

Steve

The recovery steps on page 18 require a physical connection. At that point the host computer reports "Network Cable Unplugged" and, therefore no connection is possible.

I started another thread to ask how else to perform the recovery (e.g. by placing the stager.bin file directly onto the Pineapple (I can ssh in via wlan), but apparently that counts as the same issue and has upset the admins :-P

Admins: Feel free to ban me, I'm past caring.

The recovery steps on page 18 require a physical connection. At that point the host computer reports "Network Cable Unplugged" and, therefore no connection is possible.

I started another thread to ask how else to perform the recovery (e.g. by placing the stager.bin file directly onto the Pineapple (I can ssh in via wlan), but apparently that counts as the same issue and has upset the admins :-P

Admins: Feel free to ban me, I'm past caring.

Follow the steps. The bootloader is different from the os, it will work.

oh, don't worry, I've followed the steps, I get the same response; host claims network cable unplugged.

it feels very much like there is a hardware problem with the ethernet port.

(Yes, different compuyters and cables tried, all of which are "known good" (seen working in other situations).

Flashed to 1.1.0 as suggested elsewhere - still see "Network Cable Unplugged"

Also tried "Recovery Mode" in the new firmware - still see "Network Cable Unplugged"

This feels 100% like a hardware fault that is going to require additional cost to resolve.

It is not cleasr to be (and I'm not allowed to ask) if others have had this problem and only been able to resolve it by having the unit replaced.

Flashed to 1.1.0 as suggested elsewhere - still see "Network Cable Unplugged"

Also tried "Recovery Mode" in the new firmware - still see "Network Cable Unplugged"

This feels 100% like a hardware fault that is going to require additional cost to resolve.

It is not cleasr to be (and I'm not allowed to ask) if others have had this problem and only been able to resolve it by having the unit replaced.

You purchased a device and it's hardware is defective. The first thing you should do on a hardware defect is contact shop@hak5.org for a replacement. We will want your device back to investigate. You'll be shipped a pre-payed box so that you can send it back to us. Most likely you'll receive a replacement unit at the same time.

Also, who said that you may not ask others? If you meant Mr-Protocol merging your threads, I agree, there is no need to make multiple posts on the same subject.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

1st email to shot implied that I was responsible for return postage (even though this is contrary to our national laws).

2nd email to shop has remained unanswered.

Starting a thread to ask if anyone had resolved an issue when host is reporting "Network Cable Unplugged" was not the same as this, no one will read this thread if they think it concerns unbricking, when they might well confirm/deny resolution to the "Network Cable Unplugged" query. Conflating everything on to one thread only serves to hide my separate question, which I assume was due to the negative connotations.

1st email to shot implied that I was responsible for return postage (even though this is contrary to our national laws).

2nd email to shop has remained unanswered.

Starting a thread to ask if anyone had resolved an issue when host is reporting "Network Cable Unplugged" was not the same as this, no one will read this thread if they think it concerns unbricking, when they might well confirm/deny resolution to the "Network Cable Unplugged" query. Conflating everything on to one thread only serves to hide my separate question, which I assume was due to the negative connotations.

You won't pay shipping and we will send a replacement if we haven't already. When Sara gets in a little later today I'll coordinate with her on this issue. It sounds like it is a ethernet hardware issue and we'll want the unit back to further investigate / make changes with the factory. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We stand by our product and vow to make this right. If you don't mind sending email to darren@hak5.org and shop@hak5.org with your order # I'd appreciate it.

Ok, so replacement Mk V has arrived.

Good news! it's immediately clear that this one has a healthy 10/100 ethernet port.

Bad News! It just sits there blinking the amber "I'm looking for upgrade files" LED.

I did specifically insist that it was checked to be fully functional before despatch.

[Later]

Ok, I've tried another micriSD card that I've found lying around (only a 1GB card :-( ), at least the blue "installing firmware LED) has started to blink.

... what is the postal service done to a supposedly known good SD card ?

... how did Hak5 test this device ? (I can't even get to a web page) ?

Ok, so replacement Mk V has arrived.

Good news! it's immediately clear that this one has a healthy 10/100 ethernet port.

Bad News! It just sits there blinking the amber "I'm looking for upgrade files" LED.

I did specifically insist that it was checked to be fully functional before despatch.

[Later]

Ok, I've tried another micriSD card that I've found lying around (only a 1GB card :-( ), at least the blue "installing firmware LED) has started to blink.

... what is the postal service done to a supposedly known good SD card ?

... how did Hak5 test this device ? (I can't even get to a web page) ?

The Micro SD card is tested by our duplicator and further verified by an Ubuntu box. The QC process within the factory is quite lengthy involving several boots and imaging the base image. It won't get boxed if the image fails and it won't image if the hardware doesn't report A-OK.

It's hard to say what the postal service does to these cards. I'm starting to wonder if we should be including a Micro SD card reader. I may have overestimated the ubiquity of such adapters.

Have you tried mounting the included 2 GB Micro SD card? Do you see the two files?

Let us know when the flash has completed and you've accessed the web interface.