How do share internet on OSX 10.9 Maverick

remco

Simple. Don't use it with the Mk 5. And I mean OSX ICS not a Mac. I use Mavericks on my Air with the pineapple all the time. I just use wlan1 on the pineapple to connect to an AP for Internet. Then just connect my laptop to the pineapples AP. Nothing else needed at that point. Your pineapple will be able to update and you'll also be able to browse websites etc. If your intended use of the Mk 5 differs from this and absolutely needs to use the eth0 connection your going to have to make several tweaks.

I use Internet sharing with my Mac all the time but I do it with vmware and kali. If your open to doing it that way it's really easy and I can do a short tutorial for you. I tried the YouTube video on ics with just osx but it didn't work for me. At least with vmware I can stay in osx without rebooting

Edited by jjd

Ok I'll do that when I get home this afternoon

EDIT:

Or I can just try to type it out on my iphone.

It's really easy.

In osx connect to your wifi as you normally would.

Connect your pineapple to your Ethernet port.

In vmware edit your current network adapter to bridged with your wireless card.

Then create a second adapter and bridge it to your Ethernet port.

Then just run the ics script and enter eth0 for the connection to Internet and eth1 for the connection to pineapple. Every other setting should be standard.

Hope that works for you.

If not let me know and I can do a better tutorial with images showing the steps when I get home

Edited by jjd

remco,

I'm sorry for being vague in my reply. I didn't mean to suggest you try either of those things to fix this... I was implying that you might have done either one of them and this is the result. You can post the contents of your /etc/config/wireless file and we can see if that's actually the cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could watch Chris' excellent tutorial for configuring your WP for use on a mac. The steps for the MkIV will work on the MkV, I have done it on my MBPro.

I watched Chris's excellent tutorial, but the bridging does not seem to be functioning.

I enabled Internet sharing and set the network service order as specified.

I modified my Firewall settings to unblock external communications.

I can communicate from the Mac to the pineapple.

The pineapple can see my Mac.

The pineapple cannot bridge through my Mac

To be more clear, here is some information:

On the pineapple (via ssh from my Mac):

root@Pineapple:~# netstat -nr

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
0.0.0.0 172.16.42.42 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 br-lan
172.16.42.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan
root@Pineapple:~# nmap 172.16.42.42 -PT80
Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 1970-01-01 00:51 UTC
Nmap scan report for 172.16.42.42
Host is up (0.00073s latency).
Not shown: 999 filtered ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open http
MAC Address: 10:DD:B1:D0:DB:F6 (Unknown)
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 6.86 seconds
root@Pineapple:~# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
**** hangs forever ****

On my Mac:

prompt> ifconfig en0

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet6 fe80::2acf:e9ff:fe1f:4dad%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
media: autoselect
prompt> ifconfig en2
en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
inet6 fe80::12dd:b1ff:fed0:dbf6%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
inet 172.16.42.42 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.42.255
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
prompt> ifconfig bridge0
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
Configuration:
priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0 maxage 0
ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
member: en2 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
port 7 priority 0 path cost 0
Address cache (max cache: 100, timeout: 1200):
prompt> sudo sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1
prompt> sudo sysctl net.link.ether.inet.proxyall
net.link.ether.inet.proxyall: 1
prompt> ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=47 time=52.632 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=56.468 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=54.911 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=53.892 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 52.632/54.476/56.468/1.405 ms
Any ideas?

jnwilson,

You are running into the fact that ICS on OSX, once enabled, turns into 192.168.2.X IP address range for the bridge0 as is evident in what you pasted above. You'll need to log into the pineapple via it's broadcasted Access Point on wlan0 (with a different device than your directly connected OSX computer) and under the Pineapple management page see what the Network tab has to say about your connection. It should have an IP address in the eth0 section that is in the 192.168.2.X range. Assuming it is something like 192.168.2.5 you would (back on your OSX computer directly attached via LAN) navigate to 192.168.2.5:1471 in order to manage the pineapple. Once you can do that then you'll most likely need to create another bridge on your pineapple to connect the 192.168.2.X range to your br-lan. In the Mark 4 I used to do this in the WiFi Manager infusion under the ICS tab. To be honest I'm not even sure on the Mk 5 that this will work. I suspect that it will because the general principles still apply but as the Mk 5 has two wireless antennas (one specifically for Client Mode) I have not had a reason to do this.

for me the simplest/fastest way is to just change pineapple's ip to 192.168.2.x;

1) ssh pineapple

2) edit /etc/config/network and change ip/gateway

3) reboot

Careful with that one. That was my fix for the mk4, things could go very wrong and people were having to reflash over serial to get it back. Though now we have the cool dip switches, so that might be alright now.

this is basic linux networking, i can't imagine what went wrong with those people's pineapples.

i've been using my mark iv and mark v without any problems so far :)

Careful with that one. That was my fix for the mk4, things could go very wrong and people were having to reflash over serial to get it back. Though now we have the cool dip switches, so that might be alright now.

this is basic linux networking, i can't imagine what went wrong with those people's pineapples.

i've been using my mark iv and mark v without any problems so far :)

I think something tried to reset itself on the pineapple, but didn't finish, which broke networking. If I remember right, it could happen during a firmware upgrade.

Edited by barry99705

• 5 weeks later...

Been working with the for a couple days now to get my Mark V to work with my Mac. Reviewed Mr.Chris Haralson tutorial 'Configure a WiFi Pineapple for Use w/Mac OS X'. He's the best yet not to say that others are not, his pres just flows well. Getting back i've followed his instruction by adding the ip 172.16.42.42/24 to the ethernet interface configure DNS ip: 8.8.8.8 on my Mac; set service order; when to sharing folder selected to share from WiFi to ethernet.....long story short. It didn't work!! So check ifconfig notice: bridge0 has an ip of a 192.168.2.x.

Do i need to change bridge0's ip assignment? Have any idea?

Been working with the for a couple days now to get my Mark V to work with my Mac. Reviewed Mr.Chris Haralson tutorial 'Configure a WiFi Pineapple for Use w/Mac OS X'. He's the best yet not to say that others are not, his pres just flows well. Getting back i've followed his instruction by adding the ip 172.16.42.42/24 to the ethernet interface configure DNS ip: 8.8.8.8 on my Mac; set service order; when to sharing folder selected to share from WiFi to ethernet.....long story short. It didn't work!! So check ifconfig notice: bridge0 has an ip of a 192.168.2.x.

Do i need to change bridge0's ip assignment? Have any idea?

Apple has decided to fix the ics to the 192.168.2.0/24 range. My original fix was to just change out the pineapple's network settings to match, but I found it could cause "issues", and had to be recovered with a serial adapter. As much as I used to like Apple, they've become just another Microsoft and do things their way, whether their users want that or not. The easiest way to fix the problem is to just load up kali in a virtual machine and use that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have had to resort to using a Windows VM to set up ICS on OSX Mavericks for Mark V, however I am looking at seeing if I can set up ics on osx via terminal, if successful. I'll publish a update to wp5.sh that'll cover OSX & linux systems.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• 4 months later...

Trying not to be disappointed with the Pineapple Mk V working with my MacBook Pro. Clearly a massive amount of effort has gone into the unit. I plan to demo it to a UK police force in coming months, so I must master it.

Would it it be possible to get a reset of network settings in addition to a Big Bang type of reset? Would save a lot of faffing around.

Getting the pineapple Mk V working with Kali Linux VM on my macbook is my next goal :-)

Edited by BlackOp

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. We pride ourselves on this product and its usefulness. It's a labor of love that involves nearly all of our man hours, so I know what it means to spend many hours/days "faffing around" as you say.

I'll admit OSX support isn't our strongest suit, yet. There are a few guides to setting up ICS on versions of the OS prior to Maverick, however Apple keeps changing the network behavior. Not having any Apple products myself it makes supporting the platform difficult.

You mention running Kali. That's a fantastic pentest OS and one which runs very well on OSX in virtualization. Perhaps you would benefit from the Linux connection script or OSX with VMware Fusion guide here http://wiki.wifipineapple.com/index.php/Internet_Connection_Sharing