Need Clearification

mazmac24

Have you built or are building a computer?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • WTF?

What does cache mean? I see it in hard drives and cpu's. I more mb of cache makes a cpu $100 more so... help please. I need clearification on what it does. You would tell me to google it or something but I looked up the definition and it said storage. But I want to know exactly what it does. Thanks

Cache is good, but the more cache you get the most cash you spend.

When it comes to buying things like CPUs, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Network Cards, or Video Cards you may see varying cache sizes. Go with what you can afford.

That said... I want a 1GB stick of PC3200 with 512MB of cache.... you know... for more goodness ;)

Cache is temporary storage that is faster to access than the real storage beyond it. The theory is that it's pretty likely that something you used recently will be needed by you again soon. So rather than burying that data somewhere in the slow RAM, they keep it around in the cache so that next time you need that value it can be accessed a lot quicker.

In the case of the CPU, it's got L1, L2 and possibly L3 cache which is used to store parts of the program that have been and/or will soon be executed. The L1 cache is the smallest and fastest type. The L2 is bigger and a little slower, and the L3 is potentially huge (megabytes) but the slowest of the three. All three however operate an order of magnitude faster than the system RAM that would otherwise be used for this storage.

Harddisks have cache too. The cheapest drives are still stuck with 2 MB whereas the big, fast ones have 16 MB. This memory isn't particularly quick, but again, compared to the harddisk that lies beyond it it's an order of magnitude faster.

In the harddisk case, they can just use run-of-the-mill memory chips for their cache implementations, so adding more is relatively cheap here.

In the case of the CPU, that cache memory has to run _frighteningly_ fast. As a result, it's mighty expensive to incorporate on the chip so they try to use not so much of it.

Guest Panarchy
What does cache mean? I see it in hard drives and cpu's. I more mb of cache makes a cpu $100 more so... help please. I need clearification on what it does. You would tell me to google it or something but I looked up the definition and it said storage. But I want to know exactly what it does. Thanks

Also I made this mistake too, don't pronounce it carc pronounce it like this: cach·es or cash-ay!

Just thought you would like the tip,

Panarchy

If you want to be laughed at, by all means follow Panarchy's advice.

In 'cash' the 'a' is almost pronounced like an 'e'.

The 'a' in 'cache' is pronounced like the 'a' in 'ahhh'.

Well, i don't know if to go for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan for 300$ or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan for 250$. Or does anybody have any better suggestion? My cpu fried on my old computer and I'mbuying a whole new motherboard and cpu. A want a dual core becuase i'm a gamer and i need power hogage. (is that even a word?)

Buy whatever proc is the best, In a few years, AMD will be back on the top, just like they were till now, and intel was the best before them. Its one never ending loop.

DO

In a few years, AMD will be back on the top, just like they were till now   and intel was the best before them.

LOOP

This is pBasic syntax. pBasic is a few pinecones short a fir tree.